Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:13:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gods of Snooker (Louis Theroux-produced snooker documentary)

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, May 09, 2021, 06:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

After all the nauseating Thatcherism throughout Episode 2 that made me want to hurl several times (I settled for verbals rather than vomit) it was nice of them to sneak Davis' comment about all the excess and money 'not doing anyone any good in the end'.

Norton Canes

I was hoping there would be a little bit more in the first episode about how the half dozen or so pro players they mentioned in the 70's really tried to sew the game up between them and restrict anything in the way of new talent.

phes

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 11, 2021, 04:46:04 PM
After all the nauseating Thatcherism throughout Episode 2 that made me want to hurl several times (I settled for verbals rather than vomit) it was nice of them to sneak Davis' comment about all the excess and money 'not doing anyone any good in the end'.

Didn't they show Davis saying something stronger quite early on, maybe even episode one. It could be the same quote paraphrased twice but it was something like 'and look at the world we ended up with'

Goldentony

all the tory shit in this and also Barry Hearne can get to total fuck man honestly. That fucking wide boy cunt sat there slagging Higgins and his image off then filming his big visual hard on at getting the chance to sign Jimmy White while he downs pints of crack on the bus on the way to matches. The inserts from Lineker and co to - total piss. Just get a narrator in if you have to, don't have gobshites just going SNOOKER YEAH...IT WAS GOOD..BUT THEN???

Aside from that its been really good whenever snooker and snooker players are on screen.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Barry Hearn OBE really does come across as a massive Thatcherite prick. He exudes a rancid stench of aggression and 'I'm alright Jack' self-regard. Quite clearly an awful man.

Goldentony

Yeah I do not like that guy. Knew there was a reason Ronnie didn't like him. Are they heading into the 90s after this or is Hearne again trying to pull a fast one on Ronnie?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That tosspot comparing a 147 to a hole in one. It's nothing fucking like a hole in one you cheap know nothing cunt. Said the grand total of piss all in the entire thing.

bgmnts

A 147 is like a hole in one in the same way that the 12 times table is like algebra.

Blue Jam

The only good thing about seeing Bazza in this is noting how well-observed Kevin Bishop's performance in The Rack Pack is.

There should be a fourth episode which covers all the naffness Bazza brought to the game, like the walk-on music, those Triple Crown iron-on waistcoat patches, the Bazza Shitlogos for each player, the very concept of Power Snooker/The Snooker Shoot-Out etc.

I know he's just retired but I bet the fucker will still be pulling strings.

Goldentony

I suppose all the MATCHCLUB merch or whatever it was called like Terry Griffits aftershave looked like seaside tat

DrGreggles

I met Terry Griffiths once.
A nice man of no particularly memorable odour.

Goldentony

Most of the players seem like top lads, just bazza's stink was all over them in the montage. Really liked all the outtakes and shots of people saying SHIT and smoking snouts

amateur

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 12, 2021, 12:07:21 AM
I met Terry Griffiths once.
A nice man of no particularly memorable odour.

I said hello to Willie Thorne as he exited a revolving door and don't recall any sort of smell other than excitement.

sevendaughters

I've had a hole in one.

My best break is about 28.

I'm objectively shite at both sports.

DrGreggles

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 12, 2021, 10:16:17 AM
My best break is about 28.

34 CLEARANCE here!
Long time ago though. Would struggle to see the other end of the table these days*.

*because I don't wear those gar-gles

Goldentony

anyone tried the non Snooker Loopy singles? Romford Rap is total dogshit, but the Alex Higgins one is better than I thought it'd be

https://youtu.be/fSyXK0iVXN0

Blue Jam

Quote from: Goldentony on May 12, 2021, 07:20:55 PM
anyone tried the non Snooker Loopy singles? Romford Rap is total dogshit, but the Alex Higgins one is better than I thought it'd be

https://youtu.be/fSyXK0iVXN0

Yes, iirc the backing of the Alex Higgins one is by a couple of proper library music composers, quite decent if you can ignore the drunken rambling over it.

The Romford Rap is a bit, er, "problematic"...

DrGreggles

Blue Jam

I once almost stepped on Shaun Murphy's cue as I walked past the sofa he was he was manspreading over in the Mercure bar. I honestly couldn't smell a nasty stench of anything, sorry to disappoint you.

I was also in the vicinity of Ken Doherty once, again nothing. Someone as dapper as him probably has impeccable personal hygiene.

DrGreggles

I bet Bill Werbeniuk fucking stank.

Definitely does now.

druss

I've talked endlessly about my run ins with Neil Robertson in Cambridge but as exciting as the stories are, I think everyone has heard enough by now.

kalowski

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 12, 2021, 08:20:23 PM
I bet Bill Werbeniuk fucking stank.

Definitely does now.
I still am gobsmacked at this
QuoteWerbeniuk was noted for the copious amounts of alcohol he consumed before and during matches – at least six pints before a match and then one pint for each frame. In total, he drank between 40 and 50 pints of lager per day

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hahaha, fucking hell. Sod off. 40-50 pints a day. Bottles maybe.

imitationleather

I hope he behaved himself better than Gerard Depardieu apparently did after his 14 bottles of wine a day.

These numbers are a nonsense and only there to impress people who don't drink.

DrGreggles

bgmnts

I think there is a legend that the wrestler Andre the Giant once necked like 80 cans in one go.

Although the idea that a seven foot, 500 lbs monster can smash copious amounts of beer is definitely more believable than an average snooker player.

imitationleather

http://www.recordholdersrepublic.co.uk/world-record-holders/131/peter-dowdeswell.aspx

Peter Dowdeswell drank 90 pints in 3 hours apparently.
I remember reading about his beer drinking records decades ago but I remembered it differently - something like 120 pints in 24 hours.

8 pints, upside down in 55 seconds isn't too shabby either.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteEating: Cream Crackers: 3 Crackers: 18.20 sec. Peter Dowdeswell.

I remember trying that one. Looks on the face of it not too tough, but it's surprisingly difficult, those are some dry, dry fuckers to eat quickly. Apparently under 50 seconds is good going.