Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:15:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gods of Snooker (Louis Theroux-produced snooker documentary)

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, May 09, 2021, 06:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 23, 2021, 10:49:20 PM
Your new favourite advert:
https://youtu.be/ZkczRpGfp1g

Haha amazing. And I can't stop staring at that wig. It's somehow even less convincing than his current one.

EOLAN

Bit of a dud ending saying one of the worst tournaments of football helped kill off snooker.

Plus a bit Anglo-centric. Be interested how dominance of Hendry with McManus and Higgins emergence impacted on sports in Scotland.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I had to turn off the Jimmy White advert as my body isn't capable of withstanding that level of cringe.

Interesting that he changed his name by deed poll to Jimmy Whiteprofessionalsnookerplayer, but if you think about it, that's exactly what he is.

Blue Jam

This series could have done with a fourth episode on The Class Of '92, and maybe even a fifth on The Young Chinese Lads of today's game. I recently got into a discussion with a friend about how he doesn't watch snooker anymore as it just isn't like it was in The Good Old Days, and I just think that's a bit sad- the game may be different now but it hasn't died, it's just evolved and there are still plenty of characters in it.

I've also heard the stories of Alex Higgins and Steve Davis a thousand times. Ronnie's story alone could have filled an episode but I'm guessing he wasn't available (still more available than Alex Higgins though).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If anything the game is being held back precisely because so many 1990s and early 00s era players are still there but fatter, balder, more putrid, cynical and disgusting in every way, messes, gorging themselves on the circuit that keeps feeding them.

Just like the UK is tired and sick with a neverending Queen ruling over us, Snooker needs more than yet another game between Mark Williams and John Higgins. It has to evolve and switch focus. Ruthlessly sideline miserable old farts and journeymen who are content phoning in performances.

Have a televised under 21s world championship, and incentivise risk taking, let some of the wilder players off the leash.

imitationleather

AsparagusTrevor

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Let's have a look at what this idiot did - in Corringham

mippy

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 11, 2021, 11:30:59 PM
The only good thing about seeing Bazza in this is noting how well-observed Kevin Bishop's performance in The Rack Pack is.

There should be a fourth episode which covers all the naffness Bazza brought to the game, like the walk-on music, those Triple Crown iron-on waistcoat patches, the Bazza Shitlogos for each player, the very concept of Power Snooker/The Snooker Shoot-Out etc.

I know he's just retired but I bet the fucker will still be pulling strings.

Just catching up now I've watched the whole thing - is The Rack Pack available anywhere?

I do wish they'd brought in current players rather than the slebs, I feel like that would have offered a bit more insight. The nearest they got was Ken Doherty talking about how it inspired him as a kid. Though I do like how Ken has this angular and sly vibe yet a really relaxing voice.

mippy

Quote from: druss on May 13, 2021, 02:17:41 PM
I've talked endlessly about my run ins with Neil Robertson in Cambridge but as exciting as the stories are, I think everyone has heard enough by now.

I haven't!

imitationleather

Quote from: mippy on June 16, 2021, 03:15:01 PM
Though I do like how Ken has this angular and sly vibe yet a really relaxing voice.

If he wasn't famous you'd get the impression from Ken Doherty that he is someone definitely not to be fucked with.

mippy

He'd make a really good villain in something like Fargo.

Blue Jam

I've seen him in the flesh, he is smol but very dapper. He'd definitely be the crime boss.

Blue Jam

Quote from: mippy on June 16, 2021, 03:15:01 PM
Just catching up now I've watched the whole thing - is The Rack Pack available anywhere?

Yes it is:

https://youtu.be/tAVznA24y-A

Spoiler alert
"You... are a CANADIAN CUNT"
[close]
floors me every time. An insult which is somehow both harsh and amusingly pathetic at the same time. And the funniest thing of all is that Alex Higgins apparently really did call Cliff Thorburn a
Spoiler alert
CANADIAN CUNT
[close]
:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2001/oct/13/snooker.theguardian

Quote from: kalowski on May 19, 2021, 08:11:58 PM
Steve Davis is a massive soul fan. I remember flicking through an Ace Records catalogue and there he was, reviewing the great compilation Do the Crossover, Baby.

From today's Popbitch - Steve Davis's Discogs profile: https://www.discogs.com/user/soulseller123

badaids

I'm enjoying this a great deal.

The seedy and murky beginnings of the snooker championship is hilarious.  Basically a bunch of crooks and chancers went from gambling their own money on private matches to making it a world wide spectacle.  Could it have happened in any other country other than the UK?

Can't believe Steve Davis did a Tory party conference.  And I had forgotten how much he looked like Ronald McDonald back in the day. 

imitationleather

Quote from: badaids on July 05, 2021, 06:08:34 PM
Can't believe Steve Davis did a Tory party conference. 

Indeed. Wish I'd known about this when he played at Bang Face so I could've physically assaulted him.

badaids

Quote from: imitationleather on July 05, 2021, 06:30:52 PM
Indeed. Wish I'd known about this when he played at Bang Face so I could've physically assaulted him.

I've yet to get to a bit where he say he regrets it.  I hope it happens.  I was right to hate him back in the day when he was winning everything.

millwall32

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 11, 2021, 05:06:36 PMI was hoping there would be a little bit more in the first episode about how the half dozen or so pro players they mentioned in the 70's really tried to sew the game up between them and restrict anything in the way of new talent.
Patsy Houlihan, Cliff Wilson, etc. People who couldn't get into the game early in their careers because of the closed shop.
I seem to remember Virgo saying the same thing happened to him too.