Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:59:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mythic Quest Season 2

Started by selectivememory, May 09, 2021, 07:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Thread for the first season here.

Two episodes of the second season currently available. I've watched the first so far. I really didn't like the "Everlight" special that came out recently, so I was relieved that the opener to this season felt more like the original run of the show. Some good Poppy and David bits, and the pairing off of the two sociopathic characters Brad and Jo is a welcome development. Can't say I really care much about the romance between the two game testers, but otherwise, a strong start to the season.

Anyway, thought the first season was pretty good on the whole, so I'm fairly optimistic that this will be a decent run.

Small Man Big Horse

I liked Everlight, Brad was perhaps a bit too villainous but that was my only complaint. Otherwise I'd echo everything you say though, I've only watched the first episode of season two as well but enjoyed it a lot, there's so many great characters and Poppy, David, Brad and Jo were especially fun in this one to the extent that I didn't mind that it was an Iron-lite episode, though the pay off to the sex dream thing was probably my favourite moment in the episode. And yeah, the game testers plotline wasn't the best, but I like them in general and look forward to seeing where that storyline goes in the future.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The testers plotline wasn't the best, but they've managed to expand Rachel's character, who until then wasn't defined by very much outside of her sexual orientations.

Episode 2 has a great Jo development.

Sherman Krank

Saw the first two episodes last night. Didn't notice any drop in quality compared to the first season but I did notice that David Hornsby seems to be getting as much screen time now as McElhenney but that could just be down to having to work around the tail end of the pandemic and/or Hornsby co-writing both episodes.

selectivememory

I think my main issue with the testers is that since they're both relatively normal people compared to the rest of the cast, a plotline that focusses just on them is probably not going to be that funny. Also in the first episode it got a little bit too cheesy for my tastes (which was essentially my main problem with "Everlight" too). However, in Episode 2 I think they were both put to good use by being teamed up with Jo and working under Brad.

Quote from: Sherman Krank on May 11, 2021, 05:16:26 PM
I did notice that David Hornsby seems to be getting as much screen time now as McElhenney

Did he not in the first season as well? I can't remember, but I always considered this show more of an ensemble cast, with maybe a little bit more focus on Ian, Poppy and David compared to the rest of them.

Sherman Krank

^I got the impression that there was a bit more focus on his character than last season but I've just quickly scrolled through both episodes and he's barely in the second one so it seems my impression was erroneous.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Last week's episode wasn't the best (there was no closure at the end, presumably because the situation developed here will affect some future episode), but I like the direction they're taking with Brad and Rachel or the way they're addressing cancellation and social justice.

I don't know if Rachel's character had been deliberately underwritten during all of season 1, as she was mostly defined by her job, her longing for Dana, her activism and very little else. It was Ashly Burch's characterization that gave her some life. So it is a great idea to reveal that Rachel too doesn't know what she wants.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Huge Sunny in Philadelphia meets Community vibe in the latest one. It's written by Rob's sister, who had previously penned "A Dark Quiet Death" from season 1.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I was kinda dreading the episode seeing that it was written by her and where it was in the season, I thought we were going to get something similar. Was a very good episode though, I'm enjoying this show a lot.

selectivememory

It's been a great season so far, and I think it's definitely improved on the (very decent) first season. The latest episode was probably the best one they've done yet; brilliantly paced and really funny throughout, and then of course finishing on a pretty dark note. I really like the dynamic between Poppy and Ian, it does feel like the core of the show, but I do wonder how many ups and downs they can have before it all gets a bit too implausible. Can't imagine their relationship will ever find a lower point than in this episode.

Also, I was a little apprehensive last week about where they were going with Brad and Jo, but that paid off magnificently this week.

I did read in a preview of this season that there's going to be a standalone episode at some point following
Spoiler alert
F. Murray Abraham's character when he was younger
[close]
, and looking at the next episode title, I'm assuming it's that one.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: selectivememory on May 28, 2021, 10:01:28 PM
It's been a great season so far, and I think it's definitely improved on the (very decent) first season. The latest episode was probably the best one they've done yet; brilliantly paced and really funny throughout, and then of course finishing on a pretty dark note. I really like the dynamic between Poppy and Ian, it does feel like the core of the show, but I do wonder how many ups and downs they can have before it all gets a bit too implausible. Can't imagine their relationship will ever find a lower point than in this episode.

I mean, Ian and Poppy have had their back and forths and Ian can be a prick but he has never really been dislikable, that ending did seem a bit harsh and out of character for him, it kind of came out of nowhere. Only thing I can think is that because she said she was stuck with her bit of the game he's doing it as some sort of motivational technique to be paid off later. At least, I hope so.

Small Man Big Horse

Admittedly I already had a bit of a crush on Poppy so my opinion may be biased, but I've just discovered that Charlotte Nicdao released an EP back in 2014 that I love to pieces: https://charlottenicdao.bandcamp.com/album/charlotte-nicdao-and-the-sloth-orchestra

Also on the Nicdao sings front, she starred in this short Australian musical film back in 2014 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twnAfEse0II - it was turned in to a full length musical a couple of years later and I'm a big fan of it, though sadly she didn't reprise the lead.

phantom_power

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 28, 2021, 10:20:31 PM
I mean, Ian and Poppy have had their back and forths and Ian can be a prick but he has never really been dislikable, that ending did seem a bit harsh and out of character for him, it kind of came out of nowhere. Only thing I can think is that because she said she was stuck with her bit of the game he's doing it as some sort of motivational technique to be paid off later. At least, I hope so.

I just took it that he was genuinely hurt that he bared his soul and she fobbed him off with her "truth". He felt vulnerable and exposed, things which he is too insecure to handle, and so lashed out at her and tried to make her feel like he did

Ant Farm Keyboard

This week's episode is indeed The Young C.W. Chronicles. I've just watched the beginning, and they used for the part Josh Brener, who played Big Head in Silicon Valley. One interesting tidbit about Brener is that he was supposed to be the idiot compared to the rest of the characters of Silicon Valley, while in real life he graduated from Harvard.

phantom_power

Wow, that is some guest spot in the latest episode

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on June 04, 2021, 12:53:42 PM
This week's episode is indeed The Young C.W. Chronicles. I've just watched the beginning, and they used for the part Josh Brener, who played Big Head in Silicon Valley. One interesting tidbit about Brener is that he was supposed to be the idiot compared to the rest of the characters of Silicon Valley, while in real life he graduated from Harvard.

I'm a bit behind on the show but just watched this episode tonight and enjoyed it a lot, I was really impressed by Brener who I'd only seen in Silicon Valley and Maron before, it could have felt like a caricature of F. Murray Abraham's version but instead he made the young C.W. in to a fully fleshed out character, pathetic but still sympathetic and the final scene at the awards ceremony was a superb piece of acting from all involved.

Ant Farm Keyboard

You'll be even more impressed by how much inspired the choice of Michael Cassidy as young Peter is when you watch the next episode.

I'm up with what's been released so far. I'll just say that all your legitimate questions about the conflict between Ian and Poppy get answered.

Small Man Big Horse

Ha, you weren't wrong on the Old Peter front, and I really liked that episode as it gave C.W. some much needed depth, and showed that there's more to him than just being a perverse weirdo.

I've just watched the finale now and felt it was really satisfying, a third season has yet to be ordered but I really hope it comes back for another run,
Spoiler alert
even if a good few of the characters are going to be separated I'd really hate not to see more of them.
[close]

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I'd really like to see more of this show, although after that ending I've no idea how they'd move forward with it. Which is a good thing, really.

I'm actually surprised this show isn't being talked more, it's very good. Is it because it's tucked away on AppleTV?

Ant Farm Keyboard

Ted Lasso gets some attention, but Mythic Quest was released just after the first wave of comedies and dramas on the service that were ultimately regarded as derivative prestige shows, even if there was apparently one misfire (See) plus shows that became really interesting after a few episodes (The Morning Show, For All Mankind). Ted Lasso was released much later, in the middle of the pandemic, it allowed for some great binge watching, and the word of mouth slowly built around.

Plus, McElhenney and Ganz are now involved with It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia season 15, which started shooting last month, so we may see some news about a new season when they're done with it. Remember that season 14 was released before Mythic Quest even premiered, and it would be normal for the gang to focus again on something for which they still have a four season contract to honour.

phantom_power

After a slow start I really love this show now. It treads the line between comedy and emotion well, with some great put-downs and obnoxious behaviour from Ian and Poppy but some real heart at the base of it. There is a bit too much cringe comedy for my liking but there is enough other stuff to make that not really an issue. It has that IASIP way of talking about "issues" without the usual mawkishness or smugness as well

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's a wrap on It's Always Sunny, season 15, and here comes the announcement about Mister Quest getting renewed for seasons 3 and 4.

https://twitter.com/AppleTV/status/1451243133031915521

Yeah!