Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:51:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Live finally all leaked out

Started by Sebastian Cobb, May 10, 2021, 12:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

That's right, the video-sharing site mostly known for violence and at one point a beheading video has shut down after 15 years.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/7/22424356/liveleak-shock-site-shuts-down-itemfix

I'm not squeamish, but have never sought out violent/gory stuff and have generally stayed away from weird videos if I've heard about them (haven't seen 2 girls 1 cup even), although have seen the usual odd internet .jpgs floating around the forums in the early 2000's (although shit like rotten.com never interested me either). I don't think I went there, but assumed it had some valid purpose for footage that wouldn't be on youtube, almost like a video whistleblowing site, which I think is an important purpose. I don't know if such a thing exists now LL has gone.

It's clear it's not as relevant as it once was, I only spotted it in passing tweet and am surprised a thread didn't get made here in the time it took me to get around to reading a proper article about it and making a proper thread in the interim days. I guess it won't really be missed, I guess its replacement with stricter rules won't fill any niche and won't compete with youtube/vimeo/dailymotion/etc.

JamesTC

Dex Sawash

Liked it for 'elephant fucks up some cars and a house' videos.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 10, 2021, 12:26:22 AM
Liked it for 'elephant fucks up some cars and a house' videos.

Was that a specific category?

Blumf

Come to think of it, can't remember when the last time I saw a LiveLeak link.

Quote from: JamesTC on May 10, 2021, 12:25:02 AM
2 Girls 1 Cup was fake anyway.

How many cups did they actually use?

Ferris

I lived in a student flat with a proper legend gary in first year of undergrad. He insisted we all watch 2g1c with him on (I think?) day 2 or 3, lots of hurr hurr hurr, then he decided he didn't like us and I genuinely never saw him again[nb]actually, I nearly hit him with my car a year or two later (pissed up with legend Gary mates, running across the road for some reason) and legitimately didn't recognize him until a day or two later when I twigged why he looked familiar[/nb] despite ostensibly living with him for a year.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 10, 2021, 12:30:21 AM
Was that a specific category?

Dunno, a friend sends me those. He watches a lot of LL stuff  but knows I won't watch gore and death.

Ferris

Sorry, I thought this was the banal Ferris anecdotes thread.

Re: live leak, it was always a bit much wasn't it? Spending time on forums and image boards in the mid '00s means you regularly came across the odd gif from LL and they were always pretty unpleasant.

Bazooka

There are quite a few sites that have existed as long as Liveleak that are still going. I've not been there recently, but at least a decade ago it was far tamer than it was in the 2000's.

idunnosomename

i tried to find some raw footage there of a current event there recently (i cant remember what tbh) and there was nothing. think it was past its prime really

Mobius

Looks like Ogrish and Stile Project are still around, but Rotten.com is no longer

LiveLeak actually had some legitimacy yeah, as it would share footage of War Crime and stuff that were too much for normal broadcasters

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Would a 20 year old even get a goatse reference anymore? If I was to do something like this: -ϵ⭕϶-
Would they understand it? Would they understand it's beauty? They'd probably just think it was a load of old person shit and tell me to go away, and yet their generation has failed to produce any dank memes that even come close to being on the same level.

(I realise goatse isn't a video, but it still counts. It still counts for something).

dissolute ocelot

Fuck, I've 18 hours of me and the boy beheading infidels in grainy 480p. Am I going to have to cut it in 15 second segments and post it on TikTok now? Fucking western dogs with their 15 second attention spans.

Bazooka

It's the cartel lads in Mexico that are providing a good chunk of the nasties in recent years, or the South African justice by tyre fires.

Pink Gregory

Very fortunate that I only ever saw Goatse and nothing else. 

Kankurette

Quote from: Bazooka on May 12, 2021, 01:27:30 AM
It's the cartel lads in Mexico that are providing a good chunk of the nasties in recent years, or the South African justice by tyre fires.
Ah yes, the lads who enjoy chopping people's heads off and sewing faces onto footballs. Lovely.