Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:34:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Democracy but only for some

Started by Buelligan, May 10, 2021, 12:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 13, 2021, 12:39:43 PM
It will be assumed all citizens are voting for the current government unless they decide to "opt out".

"Opting out may affect your access to public services and may be regarded as a subversive act"

Drygate

If they've going to go through the effort of this in order to encourage voter turnouts and limit fraud, why not go all in and make voting digital instead?

Maybe ask Palantir to add digital voting it to the covid pass app and tie it into the UBI trials?

Icehaven

Quote from: Drygate on May 13, 2021, 01:55:44 PM
If they've going to go through the effort of this in order to encourage voter turnouts and limit fraud, why not go all in and make voting digital instead?

Until all the old Tory voters that largely eschew technology are dead nothing about voting going electronic will even be whispered.

Zetetic

Quote from: icehaven on May 13, 2021, 01:01:40 PM
It made me wonder how many people didn't vote because they'd lost or not received a card and thought that meant they couldn't vote.
Yeah. That's why a posted this when I did:
Quote from: Zetetic on May 06, 2021, 10:51:22 AM
New page exhortation:

VOTE

BRING YOUR OWN PEN

YOU DON'T NEED ANY IDENTIFICATION (unless you're in Northern Ireland)

YOU DON'T NEED YOUR POLLING CARD (but you might as well bring it if you can)

Maybe it's worth putting up posters next time?

Bernice

Isn't electronic voting a terrible idea because of the inherent weakness? Why do we need to change anything, the elections we have now are 'free and fair', and the various issues that make me put that in quotation marks are the fault of structural issues with our democracy rather than how the voting itself is carried out.

Icehaven

Are there any kind of figures taken/available for how many cases there are of identity fraud at polling stations? Obviously we all know why they're really doing it but surely there should be sufficient evidence to show that it's enough of a problem to justify such a change, and it almost definitely isn't.

Zetetic

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/who-we-are-and-what-we-do/our-views-and-research/our-research/electoral-fraud-data/2019-electoral-fraud-data

"595 cases of alleged electoral fraud were investigated by the police. Of these, four led to a conviction and two individuals were given a police caution."

Chairman Yang

I did six frauds this time but I did one vote for each candidate just so nobody left empty-handed.

Natnar

Quote from: icehaven on May 13, 2021, 01:01:40 PM
I worked in a polling station last Thursday and a fair number of the 200ish people we had through the door, many of whom were old enough to have voted in plenty of elections before, already believed you need to have the card with you to vote so they either presented it to us or started with "Sorry I've not got my card with me, can I still vote?" One guy even apologised and tried to show us his passport, and was surprised when we said you don't need ID at all. It made me wonder how many people didn't vote because they'd lost or not received a card and thought that meant they couldn't vote. It's because it's a card, it gives the impression of being like a ticket or pass or something, so a letter framed more as a notification/reminder of the forthcoming election would be less misleading, but as we've established making it as easy as possible isn't really the current agenda. The queues when they introduce this are going to be phenomenal so that'll be even less people voting when they won't or can't wait for ages.

To be honest up until fairly recently i thought that you needed your polling card to vote as i'd always taken it with me when i've voted, i thought that was the whole point of polling cards.

Am i right in thinking that in certain circumstances people who can't vote in person can nominate someone to go to the polling station for them?

Buelligan

Quote from: Bernice on May 13, 2021, 02:04:14 PM
Isn't electronic voting a terrible idea because of the inherent weakness? Why do we need to change anything, the elections we have now are 'free and fair', and the various issues that make me put that in quotation marks are the fault of structural issues with our democracy rather than how the voting itself is carried out.

I think Drygate was making a little joke.

Bernice

Buelligan

Heh.  I thank you both for making me smile whilst thinking about something so fucking wrong.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I feel like a fucking moron for using the pencil

Icehaven

Quote from: Natnar on May 13, 2021, 03:41:33 PM
To be honest up until fairly recently i thought that you needed your polling card to vote as i'd always taken it with me when i've voted, i thought that was the whole point of polling cards.

Am i right in thinking that in certain circumstances people who can't vote in person can nominate someone to go to the polling station for them?

I'm not sure but possibly.

olliebean

Quote from: Natnar on May 13, 2021, 03:41:33 PMAm i right in thinking that in certain circumstances people who can't vote in person can nominate someone to go to the polling station for them?

Anyone can vote by proxy if you apply in advance - by 27 April for the last one (and you can still vote in person yourself on the day as long as your proxy hasn't already voted). Or if you have a medical emergency or can't vote because of short-notice work commitments, you can apply for an emergency proxy vote up to 5pm on the day of the election.

Buelligan

Novara did a short piece on this, which you may wish to consider - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xglmPmbdhkA