Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:58:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Next stage of easing restrictions in England

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 10, 2021, 05:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Next stage of lockdown easing to take place from May 17th in England, with people able to meet outdoors in groups of up to 30 people, and meet indoors in groups of up to six or as two households.

Domestic overnight stays will be allowed in groups of up to six people or two households, he says.

Face coverings no longer recommended in classrooms or in communal areas in secondary schools and colleges.

Feels like a lot is changing at once - and not recommending face coverings in classrooms or communal areas seems a very bad idea.

The media are of course more interested in asking the PM who he will be hugging and who he will be shaking hands with first. Because they are awful.

QuoteThe prime minister has, in effect, started to say "over to you" to encourage people to start making their own decisions on what is safe for them and what is not.

Given that a large percentage of the population of England are selfish, ignorant fuckwits, this seems very concerning. I'm a bit scared of what's going to happen after May 17th, especially as I won't have even had my first jab by then. I feel sorry for teachers under 40 in particular.

I think that the recent issues with the trains will cause a rise in cases over the next fortnight as the services that can run will be much more crowded making social distancing very difficult. It would have been wise to have delayed the next stage of easing for a couple of weeks in my views given that social distancing on trains in certain areas of the UK will be greatly reduced.

They should also keep masks in classrooms and common areas.  As well as helping the virus to spread in schools and in the homes of pupils and teachers, it sends out a bad message to others that masks are not as essential.

And the English people gave these fuckwits another seal of approval last week, partly thanks to Keith.

Ferris

I think even if stuff is no longer "required", it should still be heavily encouraged no?

Problem with that is every politician wants to be all "we got covid done" so won't be seen in a mask in public and those are the people that tabloids take their cues from.

"Not recommended" is weird language too - makes it sound like a bad thing. Shitting your trousers at CeX is "not recommended".

Drygate

Any news on when masks will be finished with?

Cuellar

JamesTC

Think I saw earlier that the R rating is over 1.1 so this sounds like a sensible idea.

Pinball

It's not over yet. What a shame science is ignored by the dumb fuckwit politicians.

Uncle TechTip

Does the committee take into account the notion that many people have been hugging friends and family for ages now, really?

olliebean

Quote from: Drygate on May 10, 2021, 09:20:09 PM
Any news on when masks will be finished with?

They already seem to be optional in the shops around here.

MojoJojo

Quote from: JamesTC on May 10, 2021, 09:54:34 PM
Think I saw earlier that the R rating is over 1.1 so this sounds like a sensible idea.

Official figure is 0.8-1.0.

I think this is basically fine, as so much has been relaxed without an uptick in numbers. It seems unlikely that if numbers do start going up again, there won't be time to lock down before it gets rampant again. I am really hopeful that between vaccines and the already infected we've reached some level of herd immunity.

I'm really not that bothered by school masks thing. Masks are a bit of a "better than nothing" fix - they don't reduce spread much but they're cheap and easy to do. I doubt many teenagers were disciplined enough to use them properly anyway, so whatever effectiveness they have would be even lower.

BlodwynPig

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 11, 2021, 03:19:30 PM
Uptick incoming, friend

Are people still carking it or is the vaccine doing the job? So the higher cases doesn't lead to more people going in the ground? That would be very positive if so.

Edit: went and had a look, yeah deaths are in single figures now and trending downwards. That's amazing you lucky cunts.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 11, 2021, 05:20:30 PM
Are people still carking it or is the vaccine doing the job? So the higher cases doesn't lead to more people going in the ground? That would be very positive if so.

Edit: went and had a look, yeah deaths are in single figures now and trending downwards. That's amazing you lucky cunts.

Pride comes before a fall... and after.

imitationleather

C_Larence

Quote from: MojoJojo on May 11, 2021, 02:29:34 PM
It seems unlikely that if numbers do start going up again, there won't be time to lock down before it gets rampant again.

I don't think there is even a slither of a chance that this country will go back into lockdown.

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on May 12, 2021, 11:51:29 AM
Booked a session at the gloryhole.

See you there[nb]well, not actually see you but you know what I mean[/nb]!

Kankurette

Quote from: C_Larence on May 12, 2021, 12:20:10 PM
I don't think there is even a slither of a chance that this country will go back into lockdown.
I really hope we don't go into another one. Though it's not likely if the numbers are dropping.

Interesting hearing calls for working from home to end next month.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kankurette on May 12, 2021, 02:24:33 PM
I really hope we don't go into another one. Though it's not likely if the numbers are dropping.

Things can go up as well as down, young Kank

olliebean

Quote from: Kankurette on May 12, 2021, 02:24:33 PM

If it turns out we need to, I really hope we do go into another one (although I wouldn't count on it, with this government).

olliebean

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on May 12, 2021, 05:35:45 PM
Interesting hearing calls for working from home to end next month.

I don't think working from home should ever end for people who want to and who are able to do their job just as well from home. Are the calls coming from employees, or employers?

Icehaven

I fucking hate hugging even when it's normal, so how long can I carry on blaming Covid for not wanting to do it even when it's allowed? Please say forever.

MojoJojo

bgmnts

Quote from: olliebean on May 12, 2021, 08:13:59 PMAre the calls coming from employees, or employers?

You have to assume the kind of people begging to march back into the office are more extroverted, i.e louder and more willing to voice their opinions/concerns, than those who prefer to stay at home and work.

As a general rule anyway. So I reckon a mix of those employees and most employers to be fair.

olliebean

Seen some now, it seems they're mostly coming from people whose business is stuff like renting office space, i.e., people who stand to lose money if more people work from home long-term, regardless of how well the home-workers do their jobs.

SpiderChrist

We had a "town hall" meeting yesterday where the return to the office was discussed. When asked if we would consider a full time return to the office, only two people (out of 30) said yes, most opting for coming in only two to three days a week. I really don't want to start getting up an hour earlier than I currently do, just so I can sit stand in a packed Kings Cross train for an hour a day. Fuck that noise.

Norton Canes

We conducted an anonymous survey of the ~30 members of our team about how many days a week we should be working on campus by autumn, and seven of them said they didn't want to return to the office at all.

Cuellar

Lots of rumblings about delaying lockdown easing isn't it

Norton Canes

I mean they didn't want to come back at all, ever. Permanently working from home. Probably says as much about the atmosphere in our office as their fears of catching anything.