Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:27:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your heroes, are they PAST IT?

Started by The Mollusk, May 11, 2021, 10:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Still not sure about Radiohead either. Last album I bought was In Rainbows, but I did enjoy them at Primavera even though I couldn't see a fucking thing. I was genuinely surprised to hear Creep too, I thought they never played it.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 12, 2021, 10:30:42 AM
I wish they'd packed in after 'World in Motion'. The odd song aside ('Regret', 'Crystal' was a good enough comeback single) they've not done much since 1990 that I wish to hear again. I had a chance to see them a couple of years back but turned it down because without Hooky, it's not really New Order to me, despite him being a twat of epic proportions that I'm sure I wouldn't want to be in a band with either.

If anything the lack of Hooky has reinvigorated the band for me, Clive. Peter Hook is a one-trick pony and, whilst that trick is truly iconic and responsible for some of the greatest songs ever recorded, it had long outstayed its welcome. For a band like New Order who were always pushing boundaries, always playing with new technology, refusing to be pigeonholed by genre, to have a member who was so rigidly set on playing one instrument in one particular style on every single track, I'm amazed they managed to drag on for as long as they did.

boki

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 12, 2021, 12:32:17 PM
Middle aged. Midlife crisis. DAD ROCK
Can reggae be Dad Rock?  Mother's Lover's Rock, maybe.

While I'm here I ought to mention that Ginger Wildheart's done some of his very best work in the past ten years, not bad for someone I first saw on telly in 1988.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 12, 2021, 03:03:26 PM
If anything the lack of Hooky has reinvigorated the band for me, Clive. Peter Hook is a one-trick pony and, whilst that trick is truly iconic and responsible for some of the greatest songs ever recorded, it had long outstayed its welcome. For a band like New Order who were always pushing boundaries, always playing with new technology, refusing to be pigeonholed by genre, to have a member who was so rigidly set on playing one instrument in one particular style on every single track, I'm amazed they managed to drag on for as long as they did.
It's a reasonable point - and I could maybe get past the lack of Peter Hook if I thought the new songs were much cop, but I heard the last album and pretty much nothing stuck. That said, I thought 'Waiting for the Sirens' Call' and large sections of 'Get Ready' were absolute duff too, so my only interest in seeing the band live at this point would have been for nostalgic reasons, which would be diminished by it not being the original line up.

jamiefairlie

Agree 100%. Technique was the last thing they did that had any warmth or heart. Hate how they gradually dropped their values one by one until they just ended up as just another band. Compare to Wire for how it could have been.

bigfatheart

John Reis is nowhere near as prolific as he used to be, but what he puts out is still ace. Probably slowing down more than past it. Still great live too.

Roy Wood, on the other hand, has been past it longer than I've been alive.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 12, 2021, 01:14:36 PM
Hang on, but aren't you middle aged?

Middle age is widely believed to begin at 40-45 and I'm 34, so no! I've got nowt against ageing though; my fiancée and several of my friends are around 40+, and I'm very much aware of how daft an argument on the semantics of age is. All I'm saying is that ADF song is very much on the "naff" end of what I'd consider to be fodder for what nowadays constitutes for "dad rock" i.e. inoffensive and unchallenging music for people who grew up in the UK listening to punk and reggae. After all, it is 2021 and the parameters of what constitutes a middle aged dad have changed. I can vouch for this with certainty because I am specifically talking about my own dad.

shagatha crustie

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 12, 2021, 01:51:02 PM
Bob Dylan

Yes, he is past it.

Aw, I dunno. 'Murder Most Foul' landing when it did last year felt like an event.

Ferris

Quote from: shagatha crustie on May 12, 2021, 04:27:44 PM
Aw, I dunno. 'Murder Most Foul' landing when it did last year felt like an event.

Even as an ardent Dylan-defender I'd accede that his best stuff is firmly in the rear-view.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 12, 2021, 04:15:05 PM
Middle age is widely believed to begin at 40-45 and I'm 34, so no! I've got nowt against ageing though; my fiancée and several of my friends are around 40+, and I'm very much aware of how daft an argument on the semantics of age is. All I'm saying is that ADF song is very much on the "naff" end of what I'd consider to be fodder for what nowadays constitutes for "dad rock" i.e. inoffensive and unchallenging music for people who grew up in the UK listening to punk and reggae. After all, it is 2021 and the parameters of what constitutes a middle aged dad have changed. I can vouch for this with certainty because I am specifically talking about my own dad.

Fair enough. Musically, it probably wasn't aimed at you. The thing is, they wanted to reach people, sell downloads to raise money and make a strong statement. If it had been too sonically challenging it would have disappeared without trace.

The Mollusk

That is a fair point which I graciously accept!

Natnar

Kate Bush

I don't think she's past it yet, although only releasing an album a decade doesn't help things. I know there are people who think everything after The Red Shoes has been shit.

Bjork

Lost me at Biophilia an album so dull that she had to make an App for each song to make it seem more interesting.

shagatha crustie

Quote from: Natnar on May 12, 2021, 07:03:46 PM
Kate Bush

I don't think she's past it yet, although only releasing an album a decade doesn't help things. I know there are people who think everything after The Red Shoes has been shit.

Some bits of 50 Words For Snow set my teeth on edge a bit.

The Mollusk

Kate Bush

Bjork

Lost me at Biophilia an album so dull that she had to make an App for each song to make it seem more interesting.

I dug out "Aerial" the other night as I can't remember having ever given it my full attention, and I thought it was pretty boring on the whole. I have a shite attention span and it didn't really make me want to give it more time to grow on me.

Kankurette

I do prefer her older stuff but Aerial is good to have on when I'm working. It's quite calming in parts.

Natnar

I think Aerial & 50 Words For Snow aren't as instantly attention grabbing as her earlier albums. The Dreaming, Hounds Of Love and about half of The Sensual World would be my Kate golden era, but i still think she's probably got the potential to come up with something interesting in the future.

chveik

of Montreal they haven't made a proper garbage tier album (yet) but i think we could safely say now that they're past it.

John Zorn the last decade has shown his compositional bag of tricks is not infinite. maybe if he was more focused and didn't released a dozen projects a year...

The Residents are deffo past it since 'Animal Lover' although their last one had a pretty interesting concept.

them rap singers don't tend to handle middle-age really well. it's embarrassing to hear Ghostface Killah still doing his mafioso schtick for instance (and he's far from being the most has-been of the Wu-Tang gang). nuff said about KRS-One or the memphis rap scene... i guess they really struggle to reinvente their sound. it's far quicker to name successfull comeback albums, like the Tribe Called Quest one.

bands/musicians that are still going strong: Magma, The Legendary Pink Dots, Sparks, Keiji Haino

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: DolphinFace on May 11, 2021, 05:48:45 PM
We'll I've waited about 12 years for a kings of convenience album and their new single is shit. Not heard the album yet mind.

I was waiting for Feist to pop up on the single, it sounded that similar to Know How.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

This time.

The Mollusk

Quote from: chveik on May 12, 2021, 07:48:33 PM
John Zorn the last decade has shown his compositional bag of tricks is not infinite. maybe if he was more focused and didn't released a dozen projects a year...

Was thinking of starting a John Zorn thread recently actually, good to know there's at least one person who'll chip into it if I do!

sevendaughters

Bjork

oh wow I think Vulnicura is probably her best record since Vespertine

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: chveik on May 12, 2021, 07:48:33 PM

The Residents are deffo past it since 'Animal Lover' although their last one had a pretty interesting concept.

I've loved 'em for decades but I've struggled with most of their 21st-century output bar Demons Dance Alone. To be honest, I found a lot of their nineties stuff pretty hard going as well. Too prolific and not enough quality control perhaps?

Goldentony

mate who loves em has the cut off point at post Mole Show when two left and they went wild on shite MIDI sounds

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: purlieu on May 11, 2021, 07:44:45 PM

Underworld had a couple of shaky albums, the dreadful Barking and the pleasant but largely Underworld-by-numbers Barbara Barbara, so I was delighted when they managed to release a 6CD boxset of new material and most of it was excellent. Not bad for a couple of guys 40+ years into their careers.

Being Underworld must be like hitting a double century on your test debut, cap at a rakish angle and smoking a cocktail cigarette; it feels unreasonable to expect anything after that opener to be anything other than a slight disappointment. I seem to be alone in liking Barking, or at least the first five tracks, and I really like Always Loved a Film. Barbara Barbara on the other hand was almost physically disappointing, I remember putting it on and really wanting to like it but it was plain as day that it was dull and tired and a proper water-treader, with the exception of Sun Ra. I saw them live not long after that, and the gulf in quality between that stuff and the crowd pleasers was tangible and a bit upsetting. Some of the Drift stuff is very good, as was that track they did with Iggy Pop, but they probably should call it a day soon.

Famous Mortimer

The Residents are a very good call. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but their DVD has modern re-recordings of all the tracks on it, and almost without exception they sound terrible and a vast gulf worse than the originals. Pretty much everything from the 90s onwards has suffered from what Goldentony mentioned.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 12, 2021, 10:18:37 PM
The Residents are a very good call. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but their DVD has modern re-recordings of all the tracks on it, and almost without exception they sound terrible and a vast gulf worse than the originals.

Haven't they just done this exact same thing with "Duck Stab" as well?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-residents-duck-stab-alive-night-flight-40th-anniversary-1167624/

homesickalien

Eels, not bad on record though a bit forgettable and flat for me.

However saw them in live in 2019 and was very impressed. 

Songs sound great and E is a good frontman.

Lungpuddle

Quote from: homesickalien on May 12, 2021, 11:13:52 PM

If you make a playlist and put Fresh Feeling near the beginning, add eleven of twelve tracks between then finish up with Selective Memory, that's an experience. Those strings work perfectly as a musical callback to close the album with. Unfortunately the two songs are on different albums and Fresh Feeling comes after.

I liked the Deconstruction but haven't really let the new one sink in yet. So far he's not past it for me.

Ferris

Quote from: homesickalien on May 12, 2021, 11:13:52 PM

Are they still making records? They're one of those bands I never think to listen to, but whenever I do I remember how good all their stuff is.

Ferris

Gord Downie and Gil Scott-Heron, though they're both thoroughly dead so I'll give them a pass.

Goldentony

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 12, 2021, 11:08:23 PM
Haven't they just done this exact same thing with "Duck Stab" as well?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-residents-duck-stab-alive-night-flight-40th-anniversary-1167624/

yeah the Preserved editions are mostly great but a tendency to have way too many live tracks from the bollocks era, but there's a lot of amazing essential stuff on them too so I dont know what you're gonna do, what are you gonna do I guess