Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Here’s the one that’s driving me berserk...

Started by Emotional Support Peacock, May 11, 2021, 11:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Every time I see the thread title which references Only Fools and Horses, my brain fills in the gaps and repeats the final two lines of the show's opening theme:

"But here's the one that's driving me berserk:
Why do only fools and horses work?"

The use of the word berserk has been driving me, some might say, berserk.

Berserk is defined as "out of control with anger or excitement; wild or frenzied".

The idea of someone being driven berserk by the question "why do only fools and horse work" has been amusing me and worrying me several times a day for a while now.

I am only hoping that by writing this bizarre brainfart down I may exorcise these intrusive thoughts.

canadagoose

I thought it was just me! It's a funny old choice of words.

Also someone did a parody a while back and I can't get the line "then brother, I'm your solo woman" out of my head. It just sounds funny when sung by a man with a broad 70s London accent. Like if Chas and Dave started doing Pussycat Dolls covers.

Captain Z

But here's the one that gets my brain annoyed:
Why are only fools and horses employed?

idunnosomename

I guess the speaker just cannot understand why the fools and horses don't simply adopt his lifestyle of selling stolen shit out of suitcases in vans. for ponies.

Glebe

I always thought it was "but he's the one that's driving me beserk..."

NOW it makes sense!

touchingcloth

JamesTC

Greg Torso

But here's the one that makes my brain boil:
why do only fools and horses toil?

non capisco

Quote from: Glebe on May 11, 2021, 12:11:03 PM
I always thought it was "but he's the one that's driving me beserk..."

NOW it makes sense!

I thought that for years, and thought the "he" referred to Del Boy and it was Nicholas Lyndhurst as Rodney singing it.

JamesTC

Quote from: non capisco on May 11, 2021, 12:27:19 PM
I thought that for years, and thought the "he" referred to Del Boy and it was Nicholas Lyndhurst as Rodney singing it.

I remember somebody being indignant when I told them it wasn't Lyndhurst who sang it. They had to look it up.

non capisco

I gather it's a common misconception, Sullivan's singing voice does sort of sound like him, or how you'd imagine Rodney to sing. It also sounds like Jonah Lewie.

Captain Z

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 11, 2021, 12:10:39 PM
I guess the speaker just cannot understand why the fools and horses don't simply adopt his lifestyle of selling stolen shit out of suitcases in vans. for ponies.

But here's the one I can't get out me noggin:
Why don't fools and horses go out floggin'?

idunnosomename

Heres the one that makes me shit me pants
Why did Syoots choose ginger Harrybants

Greg Torso

Well here's the one that I predict:
we'll have fifteen pages more of this shit.

Butchers Blind

Here's the one driving me up the wall
What the hell happened to Phil Cool?

poodlefaker

Was "only fools and horses work" ever a well-used phrase? Was it the sort of thing harrassed cockneys would say to each other down the pub of an evening?
Also did anyone ever say "Cor, some mothers do 'ave 'em, eh?"

Kankurette

Quote from: canadagoose on May 11, 2021, 11:52:54 AM
I thought it was just me! It's a funny old choice of words.

Also someone did a parody a while back and I can't get the line "then brother, I'm your solo woman" out of my head. It just sounds funny when sung by a man with a broad 70s London accent. Like if Chas and Dave started doing Pussycat Dolls covers.
Or Tori Amos doing Chas 'n' Dave covers. Hearing her sing about Glenn Hoddle in an American accent is kind of surreal.

steve98

Here's the one that's drivin' me berserk:
What's the Système International unit of work?

FredNurke

Quote from: poodlefaker on May 11, 2021, 01:07:44 PM
Was "only fools and horses work" ever a well-used phrase? Was it the sort of thing harrassed cockneys would say to each other down the pub of an evening?
Also did anyone ever say "Cor, some mothers do 'ave 'em, eh?"

'Only fools and horses work' isn't a Cockney phrase, but it's fairly well attested before the programme - the earliest example I can immediately find is from 1853.

There's an example of 'some mothers do 'ave em' from 1953.

thenoise

Here's what makes me fill my nappy
Does all that hard work make you happy?

I'm so shocked that my diaper is full (shit of course)
To work that hard you must be a fool (or a horse)

I shat meself
No income task no safety or 'elf.

The real puzzler for me is the couplet before that:

'Cos where it all comes from is a mystery/ it's like the changing of the seasons or the tides of the sea'.

Even in the far-off, primitive days of the early 1980s, I'm pretty sure that both the changing of the seasons and the tides of the sea were well-understood phenomena, and not at all mysterious.

Maybe you're supposed to read it as a subjective thing - it's just the singer of the theme tune that doesn't know about these things?

Also, for years, I not only thought that Rodney was singing it, but that the opening lines were 'stick a pony in me pocket/fetch my suitcase from the vet'.

I just thought that the vet having the suitcase was something that happened in the madcap world of Del Boy and co. Possibly Del had been forced to entrust his suitcase to the vet as part of some kind of veterinary caper gone awry.

A degree course in OFAH studies surely can't be far off.

idunnosomename

cockneys are thick as pigshit and dont know about solar system orbits and their effect on the troposphere

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on May 11, 2021, 01:57:07 PM
A degree course in OFAH studies surely can't be far off.

John Challis could shake people's hands as the degrees were awarded.

While the singer tells the person not to ask where all the gear has come from in the opening lyrics, understandably, why do they inform us where the " Trevor Francis track-suites" have come from?

"I'm not paying twenty quid for that?"

"It came from a mush in Shepard's Bush! Bush ! Bush! Bush!"

"Ok then"

Are "pool games" meant to refer to items for the game of pool or items you can play with in a swimming pool? I would assume the former.

Is there much demand for cracked ice? I presume that's being flogged to pubs or something?

touchingcloth

Surely "cracked ice" refers to dodgy diamonds?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on May 11, 2021, 11:48:00 AM
Every time I see the thread title which references Only Fools and Horses, my brain fills in the gaps and repeats the final two lines of the show's opening theme:

"But here's the one that's driving me berserk:
Why do only fools and horses work?"

The use of the word berserk has been driving me, some might say, berserk.

Berserk is defined as "out of control with anger or excitement; wild or frenzied".

The idea of someone being driven berserk by the question "why do only fools and horse work" has been amusing me and worrying me several times a day for a while now.

I am only hoping that by writing this bizarre brainfart down I may exorcise these intrusive thoughts.

https://youtu.be/5D-9X3ooFvo?t=49

JesusAndYourBush

I remember someone saying they thought one line was "Cause where it all comes from is a Mr Reeve", and they assumed Mr Reeve was the guy who sold Del all his dodgy stuff.

Bernice

I swear a full half of the threads in this place are dissections of the OFAH theme tune.

Gulftastic

He's the one that's driving me berserk
Why they brought it back, was never gonna work.

Captain Z

But here's the one I can't get off me bonce:
He should have changed the N to a B in "nonce"