Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:06:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Here’s the one that’s driving me berserk...

Started by Emotional Support Peacock, May 11, 2021, 11:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Video Game Fan 2000

I thought it was "he's the one thats driving me bezerk"

because he's a plonkey

Quote from: Bernice on May 11, 2021, 03:02:16 PM
I swear a full half of the threads in this place are dissections of the OFAH theme tune.

Should be more if you ask me.

Fambo Number Mive

It would be interesting to compare the lyrics of different sitcom theme songs.

Dad's Army is quite a logical one, although rather precise on Mr Brown's travel movements. I always assumed the 8:21 was a train but I suppose it could be a bus as well.

Only one of the Friends in Friends is ever broke, none of them have a job that is a joke that I remember and they never seem to struggle for love.

The Friends theme show should have gone like this

All of us now have a wonderful life
Only one of us is ever funny
We live in massive apartments
And have a lot of money
We love drinking coffee
And are very white
Our toilets are bigger than your kitchens
So we can do a big shite

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 11, 2021, 05:23:01 PM

Dad's Army is quite a logical one, although rather precise on Mr Brown's travel movements. I always assumed the 8:21 was a train but I suppose it could be a bus as well.

I always imagined Mr Brown coming home each evening and being "ready with his gun" no matter the situation. He's barely got his coat off and his clutching his rifle with bared teeth, hands vibrating. Constant propaganda and air raids have made him lose his grasp on reality. Feel bad for Mrs Brown and the kids.

Video Game Fan 2000

Maybe "his gun" is just a piece of chairback they like him hold, Bentine stylee, so he'll feel safer and they don't have to risk the scenario when he tries to obtain an actual firearm from Prvt Walker who you know has no ethics and would sell him one anyway even though everyone in Walmington-On-Sea knows his wife had a panic attack at the last church fête when the subject came up.

Video Game Fan 2000

Imagine his kids as adults at a therapists

"So you dad got his gun ready as soon as he came home from work?"
"yes"
"Each evening?"
"Each evening!" [sobs]

Dads Army is fucking grim. Its low key one of the worst offenders for neuro-divergence/disability humour, everyones got PTSD aside from Autistic Pike and Capgras Syndrome Fraser whats his tits Joe Biden guy. Think about the shit the air raid warden has seen. How many dead has the vicar buried.

Captain Z

FMH... I always thought it was the "A21", as in the road. Which runs down to the coast approximately where Walmington-On-Sea was set.

Glebe

Quote from: non capisco on May 11, 2021, 12:27:19 PMI thought that for years, and thought the "he" referred to Del Boy and it was Nicholas Lyndhurst as Rodney singing it.

Same here.

Video Game Fan 2000

Fucking one man nazi eugenics project Sgt Wilson has a million kids.

poodlefaker

Quote from: FredNurke on May 11, 2021, 01:41:41 PM
'Only fools and horses work' isn't a Cockney phrase, but it's fairly well attested before the programme - the earliest example I can immediately find is from 1853.

There's an example of 'some mothers do 'ave em' from 1953.

Do you have a citation for a young member of a concert party in British India remarking on the local climate in a letter to his mother?

Quote from: Captain Z on May 11, 2021, 05:36:15 PM
FMH... I always thought it was the "A21", as in the road. Which runs down to the coast approximately where Walmington-On-Sea was set.

I used to think it was A21 too, although I didn't know for sure whether there even was an A21. Since the numbering starts with A1* and A2* in southern England and the initial numbers increase as you travel north until you get A8*s and A9*s in Scotland, it seemed right for the south of England, though.

JamesTC

I always thought that the line about being ready with his gun was a reference to the fact that they have their day jobs and then when they finish the day job they are then training in the Dad's Army in the evening.

Ferris

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on May 11, 2021, 01:57:07 PM
A degree course in OFAH studies surely can't be far off.

It would be massively overpriced, sold to you by a shifty man wearing fur (ermine? Sheepskin leather jacket?), and essentially of no value once attained so would be entirely in line with the show.

Ferris

Quote from: JamesTC on May 11, 2021, 06:23:54 PM
I always thought that the line about being ready with his gun was a reference to the fact that they have their day jobs and then when they finish the day job they are then training in the Dad's Army in the evening.

Yes, and are fearsome warriors so you'd best watch out! ...but they also take banal regularly-scheduled public transit to their milquetoast professions every day.

gib

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 11, 2021, 12:10:39 PM
I guess the speaker just cannot understand why the fools and horses don't simply adopt his lifestyle of selling stolen shit out of suitcases in vans. for ponies.

A) because they are fools. He's already said they are fools, he knows they are fools for not adopting the easier 'dodgy' lifestyle so why is he asking the question, the answer is there already. He might as well ask 'why are people less intelligent than me less intelligent than me. The entire premise is built on a house of cards in the rain on a windy day, that's a metaphor to illustrate how well it holds up.

B) because they are horses and thus even less intelligent than fools, derr

beanheadmcginty

Regarding the use of "berserk". The berserkers were Vikings. It is an old Norse word. "A Norse word" = (sounds like in Cockney) "An 'orse word".
It's just further evidence of the hidden horse symbolism conspiracy that pervades OFAH.

frajer

Wolverine goes into a "beserker rage" where he furiously slashes up his enemies, and I think we can only surmise Rodney sometimes does the same.

Catalogue of ills

I always assumed that Mr Brown being "ready with his gun" referred to him always being in an aroused stated when he returned home. In anticipation of all the marching up and down and child abuse in store, no doubt.

Video Game Fan 2000

Well I always assumed, from what I could glean from the lyrics, that 'Mr Brown' was the pseudonym of one Tom "Captain" Moore and being "ready with his gun" referred to the fact he purposefully got small children addicted to heroin in order to traffic them to a secret society of sadistic satanists operating out of the basement of Jones butcher shop. This explains why Walmington-on-Sea was always under nazi threat : they were all local nazis. The fake German accents are a dead giveaway. Also, why would Hitler care about driving his bus to a small coastal town unless it was full of competitors and if he didn't expect to be giving a lot of people a lift back to Germany? 

Catalogue of ills

Mr Brown isn't even his real name, he only gets called that because after he's done the marching up and down and abused the children he does Mrs 'Brown' up the smeller. Each evening.

flotemysost

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 11, 2021, 05:23:01 PM
Only one of the Friends in Friends is ever broke, none of them have a job that is a joke that I remember and they never seem to struggle for love.

The Friends theme show should have gone like this

All of us now have a wonderful life
Only one of us is ever funny
We live in massive apartments
And have a lot of money
We love drinking coffee
And are very white
Our toilets are bigger than your kitchens
So we can do a big shite

Haha.

Here's the one that's got me really flummoxed
How can the Friends hold down successful careers and afford such big apartments when at least one of them is a such silly disorganised lummox

nah

Video Game Fan 2000

"Mr Brown goes off to town on the A21" is street talk for using Sarson's Gravy Browning as lube for anal penetration. Shocking that someone wouldn't know this in 2021.

steve98

It's "boring," ancient history to today's youth - "Who cares granddad? Move on."

Mr Trumpet

I'm a bit deaf and rubbish at making out lyrics. I thought it was "Mr Brown goes off to town and he ain't 21", as in, he's an old fella like most of the other Dad's Army characters.

John Sullivan had me confused with the title of that OFAH prequel, too - Rock & Chips.

I'd thought it must be a reference to the rock 'n' roll music of Del Boy's youth, paired, for some reason, with chips

I resolved to set aside a little time some day to look into the matter, and when I finally did, I discovered that rock actually refers to rock salmon, a type of fish apparently served in chip shops dahn sarf. Mange tout!

thenoise

Couldn't work out who Mr Brown was and why he was deemed important enough to feature in the theme song. One of the anonymous back two rows who never speak perhaps?

Mr Jones
Walks off, alone
To work in a butcher shop
But then his cock's
In Mrs Fox
And she just won't stop.

Ooooo she does like it up her Capt Mainwaring!