Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:22:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The trials and tribulations of John Mulaney

Started by up_the_hampipe, May 11, 2021, 12:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Thought this deserved some discussion. Some of you probably know that John Mulaney checked into rehab late last year after relapsing on coke and alcohol during the pandemic. He's been out for a few months, just laying low, but this week returned to the stage for 5 shows in New York. You can read about last night's show here, which details the events as he tells it, some fascinating stuff https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/05/10/exclusive-john-mulaney-returns-to-the-stage-141-days-sober-i-was-the-best-looking-person-at-my-intervention

To add more drama to the mix, yesterday the story broke that he'd divorced his wife following his exit from rehab. Particularly sad given how glowingly he's talked about her in his comedy, as well as what she said in her statement: "I am heartbroken that John has decided to end our marriage. I wish him support and success as he continues his recovery."

Some of this might seem a bit gossipy, but thought it was interesting, especially the new material he seems to be working on. Mulaney having this Richard Pryor style honesty session is quite unexpected for those who have followed his work.

up_the_hampipe

Absolutely no one cared about this, but that won't stop me from bumping this thread with his first interview since he was in rehab https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRIjAXVIIhY

Some fascinating stuff in there, I thought. He's also revealed he's expecting a child with his new girlfriend Olivia Munn, which has caused anger from some of his weird fans.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 08, 2021, 10:53:31 PM
Absolutely no one cared about this, but that won't stop me from bumping this thread with his first interview since he was in rehab https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRIjAXVIIhY

Some fascinating stuff in there, I thought. He's also revealed he's expecting a child with his new girlfriend Olivia Munn, which has caused anger from some of his weird fans.

I loved Mulaney's stand-up specials, where he seemed witty, self-deprecating and charming, but he comes across as a self-centred arsehole in that. I'm perhaps being ungenerous, but it reminded me of Americans who stage po-faced interventions because they've seen a friend drink a bottle of wine in an evening. Seemed like he was utilising 'addiction' as cover for leaving his wife.

Mr Faineant

Quick question, when did Seth Myers become the same age as Larry King when he died?

Goldentony

Watched that entire interview, just utter torture from start to finish. I know these two are friends but fuck me I dunno it just doesnt seem necessary. Like he's being congratulated for constantly falling upwards. If this had just been reported or whatever I cant imagine thinking twice about this in the same way this originally couldnt muster a response maybe but that whole video is just mental.

The Mollusk

Yeah this is really quite fucked. I don't know anything about this guy (well I watched about 20 mins of Sack Lunch Bunch and thought it was garbage but that's it) but like, a 20 minute self-congratulatory interview about this whole situation is such a FAMOUS AMERICAN PERSON thing to do. Get over yourselves.

Aside from the excessive backslapping of the power of friendship gushing through this, it is extremely weird that he's apparently always said he didn't want kids and now a few months into a new relationship - when it is strongly advised that people don't get into relationships until at least a year out of rehab and they've been able to fully get to know themselves sober again - he's announcing on the fuckin telly that he's having a baby. It's the sort of tactless, inconsiderate and self-aggrandising behaviour you'd expect from someone buzzing on coke, honestly, not to mention how the culmination of coming out of an intense experience like rehab and having an addictive/addicting personality almost certainly lead to this new relationship and pregnancy. Weird, and stupid.

But hey, BROMANCE yaaas we're here for it, the world needs more of this!!!

Bernice

I like Mulaney's stand up. It's nothing earth-shattering, but he has an easy charm and a facility with turns of phrase. He's a good storyteller.

That interview is pure fucking cringe. It can't be easy being in the public eye, even less so when you have addiction issues and you're going through a divorce. I suppose the point of the interview was to get out ahead of it, tell his own story but, I mean... 'Tactless, inconsiderate and self-aggrandising' is right.

If I left my wife, shacked up with a new partner and immediately had a baby on the way, out of a sense of tact and empathy I wouldn't even be posting on social media, let alone chuckling my way through it on national television. It's all a bit icky - even me watching it and commenting on it feels intrusive. Simmer down, America.

Small Man Big Horse

I know it's obviously because of the pandemic but Myers giving Mulaney a big introduction only for it to be met my a muted woo and the sound of two people clapping made me laugh.

I'm a huge fan of Mulaney's, but yeah, the baby announcement was painful, and I really feel for his ex-wife, some of the intervention stuff was interesting but I got bored with five minutes to go and stopped watching it.

up_the_hampipe

Surprised at the reactions here, at least in terms of the baby announcement. It seems to me that a lot of people are making judgements about Mulaney based on his stand-up, which is not really representative of his life, at least not recently. A lot of feeling sorry for his ex-wife, when we have no idea what was really going on in that relationship towards the end, and basing Mulaney's feelings about having children from what he said in a 2015 special.

Certainly, the interview itself seems a bit schmaltzy, but yeah that's America. Also, Meyers is a very close friend who was there for him during it, so it's going to be a bit of a lovefest, and mostly a relief that Mulaney seems to be living well. 

Bernice

I've obviously got no idea what went on with his divorce, new girlfriend, baby etc. I just think that interview was unedifying and self-congratulatory. The whole notion of a very public divorce is quite horrifying and this felt terribly misjudged, not least because he has access to a platform and a lot of game media chums that his ex wife doesn't. I don't really want to have an opinion on it; it all feels like something private and personal to a small number of people has been shoved into this media mincing machine. I dunno, it made me very uncomfortable.

checkoutgirl

Seth Myers is not funny. I've enjoyed a few of Mulaney's stand up videos on Netflix but I really don't care about his personal life. It's none of anyone's business and he should probably keep it to himself.

If he was more of a confessional type comic it would make more sense but he generally presents as a more happy go lucky type in his humour as far as I can see.

I might watch the new comedy to see if it's any good. Not everyone can pull off a therapy session.

ProvanFan

What drugs is he into other than coke? Shoulda done some trips mate.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Bernice on September 09, 2021, 11:37:09 AM
not least because he has access to a platform and a lot of game media chums that his ex wife doesn't.

She's got a significant social media following, and she has managed to take the lead on the "narrative" (urgh) by releasing a statement that she's heartbroken and posting arty Instagram pics of her lying around devastated in a big empty mansion. This interview was the first time Mulaney has spoken on it, presumably he's been kept away from social media etc by his PR team.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I have no particular opinion on this whole thing, except that he really doesn't sound like someone I'd expect this sort of business from. He has the voice of a giant nerd.

Neomod

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 09, 2021, 01:12:01 PM
I have no particular opinion on this whole thing, except that he really doesn't sound like someone I'd expect this sort of business from. He has the voice of a giant nerd.

Yeah, I've enjoyed him on CBB and that as he genuinely comes across as a quick wit but I'm guessing this all stems from the massive success of Oh Hello on Broadway. The booze, the drugs, the ego, the dumping of the wife.

A few years too early for a mid life crisis.

Goldentony

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 09, 2021, 11:24:46 AM
It seems to me that a lot of people are making judgements about Mulaney based on his stand-up

Nah literally just this mental Robocop style hell vision of an inteview this time around. Mulaneys alright, Myers is unbearable but honestly it could be any two people doing that interview and it'd still seem insane. Not quite as depressed as I was when I fist watched this so it's harder for me to explain whats going on in my mind with it but it's got that Krusty Show being floor managed by the IRS vibe.

SMBH also right, the muted response to him walking out like an Eric Andre sketch as he's about to detail his life of cocaine abuse is something else. One of the better moments.

Oh, Nobody

A cautionary tale of hanging out with Pete Davidson.

PlanktonSideburns

Most On Cinema thing I've ever seen in the wild

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 09, 2021, 06:22:57 AM
it is strongly advised that people don't get into relationships until at least a year out of rehab and they've been able to fully get to know themselves sober again
Even if we knew nothing else about him, this would be quite the important thing.

Liked his standup, pleased that he co-wrote one of the best characters in SNL history (Stefon), hated the shite he did with Nick Kroll, and think he came across quite badly in this interview. I don't think getting into any of the inter-personal stuff is all that useful, but I'm not sure that he should have done any of this. I hope his recovery is successful, though.

The Mollusk

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 09, 2021, 11:24:46 AM
the interview itself seems a bit schmaltzy, but yeah that's America.

Oh well that's perfectly fine then.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 10, 2021, 06:31:34 AM
Oh well that's perfectly fine then.

Yeah, it is.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 10, 2021, 03:01:27 AM
Liked his standup, pleased that he co-wrote one of the best characters in SNL history (Stefon), hated the shite he did with Nick Kroll, and think he came across quite badly in this interview. I don't think getting into any of the inter-personal stuff is all that useful, but I'm not sure that he should have done any of this. I hope his recovery is successful, though.

Ah, really? I thought the Netflix Oh Hello special was quite good.

Indomitable Spirit

Interview is obviously minging, but the most notable thing for me is how fucking weird Seth Meyers looks. Like some failed genetic experiment where Peter Cushing and Kenny Williams jizzed in a petri dish.

Bernice

frajer

It's a self-indulgent love-in and the jovial drugs'n'divorce banter is bizarre but its the lack of a proper audience that makes it truly creepy. Feels like they're rehearsing a schmaltzy amateur stage production called 'The Real Drugs Are Good Friends' or something. The techies have seen it a dozen times but know they've got to laugh at at least 1 out of 5 jokes.

Mr Faineant

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on September 11, 2021, 06:40:11 PM
Interview is obviously minging, but the most notable thing for me is how fucking weird Seth Meyers looks. Like some failed genetic experiment where Peter Cushing and Kenny Williams jizzed in a petri dish.

Me too, I found his appearance strikingly different to the mental picture I have of him. It's like he's gone through a rapid aging machine, and then some other machines that I'm struggling to define.

famethrowa

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 10, 2021, 03:01:27 AM
hated the shite he did with Nick Kroll,

Oh god. I had a look and wow that's some Arthur Atkinson punchlines right there. I guess they're playing to a home crowd, but why are those people laughing? I don't get it at all... just dress up like an unconvincing stereotype, drop the accent/voice every second line, and say things like "I like my sandwich with a little mustaaaaard!!" and they're rolling in the aisles?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: famethrowa on September 12, 2021, 12:03:25 PM
Oh god. I had a look and wow that's some Arthur Atkinson punchlines right there. I guess they're playing to a home crowd, but why are those people laughing? I don't get it at all... just dress up like an unconvincing stereotype, drop the accent/voice every second line, and say things like "I like my sandwich with a little mustaaaaard!!" and they're rolling in the aisles?

That's not what it is at all, try watching more than like 2 minutes.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 12, 2021, 03:27:49 PM
That's not what it is at all, try watching more than like 2 minutes.

I'd echo this, I sometimes struggle with Nick Kroll but I loved Oh, Hello on Broadway a great deal.