Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:26:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The trials and tribulations of John Mulaney

Started by up_the_hampipe, May 11, 2021, 12:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

can't stand nick kroll, it's trust-fund kid humour

markie

Didn't JM write for Bill Hader's Stephan character on SNL? That stuff was really funny and deranged. I thought.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: markie on September 12, 2021, 07:19:36 PM
Didn't JM write for Bill Hader's Stephan character on SNL? That stuff was really funny and deranged. I thought.

Yep, and he would often change the lines on the cue cards to make Hader laugh, hence Stefon's habit of always covering his mouth.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: chveik on September 12, 2021, 05:02:50 PM

How, exactly? Yes, apparently he comes from a family with money, but I doubt you'd be able to tell that from his actual comedy if you didn't know that. (At least I couldn't.) Prove me wrong.

(This whole fucking thread is really getting up my nose, I have to say.)

Goldentony

WHY IS IT? EXPLAIN WHY IT'LL BE GOOD FOR THE DISCUSSION

McChesney Duntz

Naah. Said too much as it is. And besides, it's really not just (or even primarily) this thread that's irritating me. Lots of bad takes out in the world regarding this whole situation, plus a big dollop of why-the-fuck-do-you-care-so-much-about-what-this-person-you-don't-fucking-know-does-in-their-private-life-if-he's-not-abusing-or-exploiting-people left over from when Patton Oswalt remarried a year or so into his widowerhood that seems to be staining the Mulaney discourse as well. And undoubtedly a little irritation about my own complicity/hypocrisy in that I'm reacting at all to any of this. So... that.

a peepee tipi

Quote from: chveik on September 12, 2021, 05:02:50 PM
I haven't seen Big Mouth, but still feel safe in saying that you can't make that criticism about his comedy at least. Most of Kroll Show, from what I remember, was ripping on affluent psychos

Mobius

Kroll Show and Oh Hello are both great. Nick Kroll is from a rich family yeah, but I don't see how that really affects his comedy. If he was that rich why did he do those fucking awful Geico Caveman adverts. I like him in The League, his little cameos on What We Do In The Shadows. He's a very funny man IMO, and seems like a nice guy?

Big Mouth is a load of shit though yeah.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Mobius on September 12, 2021, 11:51:15 PM
Big Mouth is a load of shit though yeah.

This thread is relentless, I wish I never started it. Big Mouth is great!

Ferris

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 09, 2021, 06:22:57 AM
Yeah this is really quite fucked. I don't know anything about this guy (well I watched about 20 mins of Sack Lunch Bunch and thought it was garbage but that's it) but like, a 20 minute self-congratulatory interview about this whole situation is such a FAMOUS AMERICAN PERSON thing to do. Get over yourselves.

Aside from the excessive backslapping of the power of friendship gushing through this, it is extremely weird that he's apparently always said he didn't want kids and now a few months into a new relationship - when it is strongly advised that people don't get into relationships until at least a year out of rehab and they've been able to fully get to know themselves sober again - he's announcing on the fuckin telly that he's having a baby. It's the sort of tactless, inconsiderate and self-aggrandising behaviour you'd expect from someone buzzing on coke, honestly, not to mention how the culmination of coming out of an intense experience like rehab and having an addictive/addicting personality almost certainly lead to this new relationship and pregnancy. Weird, and stupid.

But hey, BROMANCE yaaas we're here for it, the world needs more of this!!!

These are my opinions also. He is a dull American man repackaged as a dull American comedian, and oh ho ho his famous friends might just show up to wish him luck.

Smug, tedious punchlines being being sold to an audience who are primed to guffaw at anything because he's their best mate really so you have to laugh don't you! Some of the material is embarrassingly stale - like that Stewart Lee routine about American comics who mention where their parents are from and how that confuses them re: ethnic sandwiches.

Not a fan. He's divorced now is he? And he's announcing all this stuff via a chummy interview with a media mate? Ok fine whatever, reinforces my opinion of him as a boring luvvy but I don't have anything to add.

Swoz_MK

I like everything about Kroll except his fucking irritating face. Fabrice Fabrice is a beaut though - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OcCC1AVU2E