Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:44:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films where a piece of music or part of score is ridiculously overused

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, May 11, 2021, 02:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lankyguy95

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 11, 2021, 02:08:46 PM
American Beauty - I think the clanging clinging clanging soundtrack which seems to fade back in almost whenever anyone stops talking for longer than 5 seconds has made this film close to impossible as a repeat watch. It's so annoying.
I think the soundtrack is the best thing about American Beauty. It briefly tricked me into thinking it was a good film.

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 11, 2021, 02:08:46 PM
Last of the Mohicans - Epic permanently hummable title melody, but it still would have been equally memorable if they hadn't used it once every 2 and a half minutes.

Suitably lampooned by the Native American sketch troupe The 1491s here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oKtyYIIcaQ&t=6s

non capisco

I've got a sort of Mandela effect version of this. I remember in my early teens watching a John Wayne film on TV with my dad called 'Chisum' where he plays a character called John Chisum which is funny because it sounds like a bit like John Jism doesn't it. I recall us both laughing throughout at the bombastic song that kept striking up on the soundtrack that went CHISUUUUUUUUM!!!!!! JOHN CHISUUUUUUM! , the humour arising because it sounded like it was saying JISMMMMMMM which is a word for spunk isn't it. In my memory this was going on throughout, every time he got on his horse an unseen choir of cowboys would proclaim CHISUUUUUUUUUM!!! JOHN CHISUUUUUM!!!. I recall it being incessant, to the point where he was just ambling into a saloon and that action in itself was deemed worthy of a quick CHISSUUUUUUUUM!!! JOHN CHISUUUUUUM!!!. We were essentially waiting with delighted anticipation for the next burst of Chisum to erupt.

It was on telly the other year, doesn't happen at all. The song is in it but it's just at the start. No celestial cowboys are repeatedly bellowing over the action about jism. We just found it funny at the start that his name sounded like jism and there was a song about it that went JISMMMMMMM! JOHN JISMMMMMMM! and had somehow fooled ourselves into thinking it ran all through the film.

God help us if there's ever a biopic about Mel C.

famethrowa

pigamus

druss

The Mortal Kombat theme is played on repeat for the duration of the first Mortal Kombat film, but despite this it never outstays its welcome.

Goldentony

I've never seen CHISUM but my nan had it on tape when I was a kid, i'd look at it for ages because I had fuck all else to do except lose Bamboozle over and over so i'd sit there for ages just hearing CHISUM in my head wondering what CHISUM was up to and why he was called CHISUM, so glad the song is exactly what I thought

Keebleman

He was a real guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Chisum

He was one of the men who hired Pat Garrett to get Billy the Kid, apparently because the Kid kept sneaking up behind him then yelling, "CHISUUUUUUUUUM!!! JOHN CHISUUUUUM!!!"

famethrowa

JaDanketies

American Beauty OST is the jam.

Tangential to this thread, I enjoyed the long period on the BBC where they played Sigur Rós - Hoppípolla on repeat, whenever someone was overwhelmed by their bathroom redecoration on Changing Rooms, or there was stock footage of scenery.

brat-sampson

A Zack Snyder DC film w/ WW in it w/ever WW is in it.

I mean, I even like the theme, but boy. Ridiculously overused, indeed.

Dex Sawash

Rubbing my hands together anticipating the re-release of CHISUM

greenman

Quote from: greenman on May 13, 2021, 12:39:16 PM
Even the opening titles arguably overuse it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD5Gr4Ih7HA

Notice now it zooms in on a painting of a cowboys bare arse partway though for some reason.

Dusty Substance

I remember the main theme from Caligula (from Aram Khachaturian's Spartacus ballet, later used in the Onedien Line)  being played to death in one of the versions I once saw.

Small Man Big Horse

It's probably a bit unfair to pick on it given that I think the entire budget was only about four pounds eighty, but the score to A Talking Cat!?! appears to only contain two pieces of music (discounting the amazing funk version of Itsy Bitsy Spider over the end credits) and both of those are used to such an extent that I burst out laughing every time I heard them.

JaDanketies

Die Hard With A Vengeance uses 'The Ants Go Marching Two By Two' a little bit too much.

Waking Life

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 15, 2021, 11:23:50 AM
It's probably a bit unfair to pick on it given that I think the entire budget was only about four pounds eighty, but the score to A Talking Cat!?! appears to only contain two pieces of music (discounting the amazing funk version of Itsy Bitsy Spider over the end credits) and both of those are used to such an extent that I burst out laughing every time I heard them.

One of them is "La Cucaracha", another children song in the public domain, and a favorite for customized car honks.
One interesting thing about "A Talking Cat!?!" is that David DeCoteau alternated at the time between innocuous family fare and the "1313" series of supernatural thrillers that pair cougars with innocent (and very topless) young men, with the target audience being gay men. And both series were shot in the same sets. The villa where Johnny Whitaker lives, the one with the Volkswagen cut in half in the living room, can be seen in most of the trailers. But I'm not sure about "Itsy Bitsy Spider" int he soundtracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66C9zH3BVpY

Replies From View

I don't know what you guys have done to my youtube algorithm but now there is a Philip Chism:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd8EH0Q_vKQ

So thanks for that.

H-O-W-L

Everyone's going to fucking hate me but I think The Third Man overuses its title theme.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on May 15, 2021, 03:31:05 PM
One of them is "La Cucaracha", another children song in the public domain, and a favorite for customized car honks.
One interesting thing about "A Talking Cat!?!" is that David DeCoteau alternated at the time between innocuous family fare and the "1313" series of supernatural thrillers that pair cougars with innocent (and very topless) young men, with the target audience being gay men. And both series were shot in the same sets. The villa where Johnny Whitaker lives, the one with the Volkswagen cut in half in the living room, can be seen in most of the trailers. But I'm not sure about "Itsy Bitsy Spider" int he soundtracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66C9zH3BVpY

That's really interesting to hear, and I'm almost tempted to give one of the 1313 films a shot to see if it's as bad as A Talking Cat!?!, from the trailer it looks slightly less bizarre but still very naff.

famethrowa

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 17, 2021, 03:27:27 AM
Everyone's going to fucking hate me but I think The Third Man overuses its title theme.

Well I'll embrace that, and I'll go further: the title theme is bloody awful and one of the least appropriate ever. You try and get a bit of black and white espionage going in possibly the most famous musical city in the world, and here comes Zorba the Greek prancing down the Schulerstrasse.

Blumf

H-O-W-L

Quote from: famethrowa on May 17, 2021, 10:36:59 AM
Well I'll embrace that, and I'll go further: the title theme is bloody awful and one of the least appropriate ever. You try and get a bit of black and white espionage going in possibly the most famous musical city in the world, and here comes Zorba the Greek prancing down the Schulerstrasse.
I think the theme can be used appropriately within the movie but its overuse really sours the film's dark mood and makes it seem sprightly. People have been like "ooo the dissonance!" and I don't see any fucking dissonance that works. I'm used to dissonant tracks, since I'm a pretty big fan of Lynch and especially the dissonant use of In Dreams in Blue Velvet, but The Third Man doesn't work for me.

Replies From View

Trail of the Pink Panther - the one built from Peter Sellers deleted scenes and outtakes - basically has one looping piece of music that quickly becomes all you can remember for a month.