Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:15:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Al-Aqsa Mosque In Jerusalem - what is happening and why

Started by Buelligan, May 11, 2021, 03:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 17, 2021, 08:43:11 PM
@Israel is now tweeting the rocket emoji over and over and it's just like the worst internet thing you can imagine. it's like Innocent Smoothies did war crimes

https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1394321792844640269
The one thing I dont get here is... is that the total number of rockets shot at (by their measure) Israeli civilians ever? Considering how long this conflict has been going on it honestly seems lower than I'd've guessed

BlodwynPig

idunnosomename

they should tweet the score of how many people they've killed. somehow they seem to get ten times as many so you think they'd be crowing about that

Blumf

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 17, 2021, 09:17:34 PM
The one thing I dont get here is... is that the total number of rockets shot at (by their measure) Israeli civilians ever? Considering how long this conflict has been going on it honestly seems lower than I'd've guessed

I assume just the current flare up.

For the record, Hamas' rockets are usually the Qassam, which is basically a length of pipe with it's end welded up. Maybe it has some explosives in it, depending on supplies. Zero guidance, beyond pointing them in the general direction.

Kankurette

Quote from: Blumf on May 17, 2021, 10:03:44 PM
I assume just the current flare up.

For the record, Hamas' rockets are usually the Qassam, which is basically a length of pipe with it's end welded up. Maybe it has some explosives in it, depending on supplies. Zero guidance, beyond pointing them in the general direction.
And Israel have nukes. Tanks. White phosphorus. Qassams are like cherry bombs in comparison.

bakabaka

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 17, 2021, 09:20:09 PM
they should tweet the score of how many people they've killed. somehow they seem to get ten times as many so you think they'd be crowing about that
That was the 20th century. They seem to settle for around 20:1 these days.

Kankurette

I remember back in 2006, during the conflict with Lebanon, I was talking to someone in synagogue about how nearly 1000 Arabs had died and some cunt said, "Good." And I was absolutely livid and had to restrain myself from screaming abuse at him, so I just bit my tongue and asked if he'd forgotten that bit in the seder where the Israelites celebrate the deaths of the Egyptians and G-d got angry and said, "Stop doing that, they're my people too." IIRC we spill wine because of it.

How can you have such disregard for human life? I mean, there was a video of a 10-year-old Palestinian girl on Twitter yesterday posted by Wes Streeting (yes, I know you all hate him but he was not tweeting in support of Israel) crying her eyes out because her street had been bombed and she was terrified and asking why the Israelis were doing this, was it because she and her family were Muslims, and some cunt with Israel, UK, USA and India flags in his bio pipes up with 'is her dad a rocket scientist?' I mean, how sick in the head do you have to be to look at a traumatised little kid and joke about it?

I know his show gets a bit of shit on here, but you've got to say fair play to John Oliver for this piece.

https://twitter.com/blackchaosgg/status/1394163727444938755?s=21

pcsjwgm

An enormously horrific but eerily, mildly uplifting story:

An intense and heartbreaking video shows the moment a father reunited with his injured infant son just hours after searching for his family throughout a Gaza City refugee camp destroyed by Israeli airstrikes, only to learn that his wife and four children were killed.

Mohammed Hadidi told reporters that his wife and her brother's wife had gathered at the house with their children to celebrate the Eid al-Fitr holiday ending the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

She and four of the children, aged 6 to 14, were killed. Only baby Omar is known to have survived.

"This is the severest of crimes. My family never launched rockets or bombed anything, they just went to celebrate Eid with their uncle and then we now come to the hospital to take their dismembered bodies," Mohammed Hadidi said outside of the hospital. "My younger child is five months, and he is now injured at the hospital. What did he do? Did he launch rockets at the Jews? Who is angry with my five-month-old son? Allah is my suffice, and the best deputy."
https://abc7.com/israel-palestine-conflict-family-killed-gaza-city-israeli-airstrikes-father-reunites-with-baby-after-airstrike-kills/10645731/

Eyewitnesses reported that the victims' bodies were torn to pieces under the rubble before being transferred to the hospital.

When he was confirming the identity of his deceased children at the hospital, Hadidi received the news that his infant, Omar, was still alive.

He knelt down to the ground crying.

"I was so sad that I felt suffocated when I knew that I had lost my wife and three of my children, but at the same time, I felt that I was about to fly out of happiness knowing that my baby Omar did not die. It was a bizarre moment."
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-air-strikes-gaza-kill-palestinian-family

Buelligan

The reality of these tragedies is incredibly sobering.  Makes me consider the way the world is being run.  We seem to permit a gun culture, like that in the US to pervade our world.  All the rich countries, spending huge sums, manufacturing, selling, more and more destructive weapons.  Weapons that can only maim and murder.  Weapons that killed this man's wife and children.  And we look on, we look on countries like the US with their demented gun culture and constant rhythm of death and ask why they are so mad, why they tolerate it.  We should take a fucking look in the mirror sometime.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on May 18, 2021, 12:48:10 PM
The reality of these tragedies is incredibly sobering.  Makes me consider the way the world is being run.  We seem to permit a gun culture, like that in the US to pervade our world.  All the rich countries, spending huge sums, manufacturing, selling, more and more destructive weapons.  Weapons that can only maim and murder.  Weapons that killed this man's wife and children.  And we look on, we look on countries like the US with their demented gun culture and constant rhythm of death and ask why they are so mad, why they tolerate it.  We should take a fucking look in the mirror sometime.

Yes, we've been somewhat indoctrinated that this is what nations just do, with some vague misunderstanding that it is to protect our freedoms etc. Grown ups handling big problems with power.

Fuck that i say. Fuck that to hell

Petey Pate

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on May 18, 2021, 12:05:53 PM
I know his show gets a bit of shit on here, but you've got to say fair play to John Oliver for this piece.

https://twitter.com/blackchaosgg/status/1394163727444938755?s=21

Yes, I'm really not a fan of him or his show but this was a decent segment that's very much welcome on US television.

I also appreciated this darkly funny piece by The Onion.

https://www.theonion.com/the-onion-calls-on-israel-to-bomb-our-offices-in-case-1846912378

Kankurette

Quote from: Buelligan on May 18, 2021, 12:48:10 PM
And even liberals and leftists in the US don't want to get rid of guns. That's how deep in gun culture they are and I do not want the UK becoming like that, because we're bad enough as it is. Everyone thinks they'll be the good guy with the gun who shoots the villain and saves the day.

People complain about their taxes going to feed hungry children, but not about being spent on arms to create more hunger, more homelessness. It's sick. All the people here who glorify war and go on about kids today being snowflakes never think about the human cost, the fact that people are without basic resources like power or water.

Blod, I recall some military wife on Mumsnet saying 'the Army are keeping you safe'. Who from? Who are we at war with?

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Kankurette on May 18, 2021, 03:43:25 PM
People complain about their taxes going to feed hungry children, but not about being spent on arms to create more hunger, more homelessness. It's sick. All the people here who glorify war and go on about kids today being snowflakes never think about the human cost, the fact that people are without basic resources like power or water.

Blod, I recall some military wife on Mumsnet saying 'the Army are keeping you safe'. Who from? Who are we at war with?

*applauds*

Buelligan

And even liberals and leftists in the US don't want to get rid of guns. That's how deep in gun culture they are and I do not want the UK becoming like that, because we're bad enough as it is. Everyone thinks they'll be the good guy with the gun who shoots the villain and saves the day.

And not only the hunger and homelessness.  Consider the problems with mental health, violence and abuse in families, all kinds of destructive and self-destructive behaviour that societies, like ours, are plagued by.  We've been living in relative affluence and peace for a while now.  The impact of suffering, trauma, the Palestinian people are now suffering, will send its shadow for generations through those people.  How can it fail to? 

BlodwynPig

Ourselves?

Kankurette

Quote from: Buelligan on May 18, 2021, 04:32:54 PM
And not only the hunger and homelessness.  Consider the problems with mental health, violence and abuse in families, all kinds of destructive and self-destructive behaviour that societies, like ours, are plagued by.  We've been living in relative affluence and peace for a while now.  The impact of suffering, trauma, the Palestinian people are now suffering, will send its shadow for generations through those people.  How can it fail to?
A mate of mine who's a mental health nurse - he works for CAMHS - told me a while back that child PTSD diagnoses are very common in the West Bank.

Zetetic

And presumably even more so in Gaza.[nb]Or rather the condition of being traumatised is.[/nb]

(The Norwegian Refugee Council is reporting that it was providing a psycho-social intervention for trauma to 11 of 60 children killed last week in Gaza. Source)

Kankurette

It might have been Gaza as well. It was a while back.

greenman

In reality of course exactly the reverse, most of what the UK military has done post WW2 has endangered the general population via increasing the risk of terrorism.

Zetetic

Every time I look at the "deaths in training" stats releases, whoever is making them has found some new and slightly inappropriate use of clipart:

idunnosomename

IDF have been deploying white phosphorous in the past day it seems. well just gaza saying this. will wait for the AP to oh wait

bgmnts

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 16, 2021, 07:44:58 PM
Why are they not recognised though? Because they are generally despised by the middle classes?
Can only speak for Ireland but Travellers are despised by the entire settled community, class irrelevant. Now I've met quite a few people who have had bad experiences with Travellers, but at the same time "Traveller family keeps halting site looking immaculate and never give a day's trouble to anyone" doesn't get on the news. It's all "TRAVELLER FUNERAL ERUPTS IN VIOLENCE", "LOOK AT THE STATE OF THIS GAA PITCH AFTER THEM", "SLASH HOOK SULKY RACE BARE-KNUCKLE TEENAGE WEDDING".

Quote from: bgmnts on May 18, 2021, 08:58:33 PM
What the fuck isn't that banned under Geneva??

Must of what Israel does militarily and with regard to settlement/territory expansion is blatantly illegal under international law. It apparently doesn't matter at all, because the U.S. will always veto anything going through the UN.

BlodwynPig

idunnosomename

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 18, 2021, 10:19:06 PM
Must of what Israel does militarily and with regard to settlement/territory expansion is blatantly illegal under international law. It apparently doesn't matter at all, because the U.S. will always veto anything going through the UN.
this is so simple but it's really the answer.

Biden's administration approved on Monday $735M of precision-targeted weapons sales from Boeing to Israel.

Kankurette

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 18, 2021, 08:56:51 PM
IDF have been deploying white phosphorous in the past day it seems. well just gaza saying this. will wait for the AP to oh wait
Oh fuck. Not again.