Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:46:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Al-Aqsa Mosque In Jerusalem - what is happening and why

Started by Buelligan, May 11, 2021, 03:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 11, 2021, 10:21:52 PM
No I think it's probably worse than that.

Well, she was clearly instructed to try to undermine him and produce an equivocation.

idunnosomename

well just like Laura's whatsapp to the tories, all the BBC contacts on the Middle East are Israel government. they upset them, no more news. never going to actually do their job and do a vox pop on the Gaza Strip.

jobotic

CBS report that 2 Israelis killed by rocket attacks and  26 die in Gaza.

Israelis are killed. Palestinians just die.

Kankurette

buttgammon

Can't remember where I saw this (Guardian?) but I read something yesterday that described Israel and Palestine 'trading' fire between rockets and airstrikes. If you had a state-of-the-art fighter jet that could kill and maim huge numbers at the push of a button, you wouldn't trade it for some shitty rocket launcher. It's so disingenuous to paint it this way, when the political, military and economic powers of one side far exceed that of the other, and genuine atrocities slip through the cracks.

AllisonSays

Absolutely. Once you notice the language of equivalency you can't unnotice it.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: buttgammon on May 12, 2021, 09:13:31 AM
Can't remember where I saw this (Guardian?) but I read something yesterday that described Israel and Palestine 'trading' fire between rockets and airstrikes. If you had a state-of-the-art fighter jet that could kill and maim huge numbers at the push of a button, you wouldn't trade it for some shitty rocket launcher. It's so disingenuous to paint it this way, when the political, military and economic powers of one side far exceed that of the other, and genuine atrocities slip through the cracks.

As well, "rockets" can be quite evasive. What a lot of the Palestinians launch is rocket-propelled, but are just rocks. Rockets makes you think there's some kind of warhead or explosive element.

buttgammon

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 12, 2021, 09:28:27 AM
As well, "rockets" can be quite evasive. What a lot of the Palestinians launch is rocket-propelled, but are just rocks. Rockets makes you think there's some kind of warhead or explosive element.

Absolutely. It occurred to me that I didn't actually know what was being referred to when the media mentioned 'rockets' so I did a tiny bit of research and the conclusion was that although Hamas have rocket launchers, they don't necessarily have rockets to put in them. There's so many layers of bullshit that you have to pick through to get to the brutal reality of what's happening.

Buelligan

It's true, saw another thing elsewhere where fireworks were being described, misleadingly in the context, as rockets.  Check everything, trust nothing.

On a more positive note, if you're wondering what you can do, one thing to consider is joining the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement (BDS).  Have a look, have a think, see what you can do to help stop this.

https://bdsmovement.net/news/sheikh-jarrah-what-happening-and-how-you-can-take-action-now

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The framing on the BBC's main story made me upset enough I had to leave what I was doing, have spent the last hour furiously masturbating cooking to try and divert myself from thinking about the obscene propaganda protraying itself as balanced impartial public service broadcasting.

Kankurette

Is there anything else we can do as well as BDS? Like, who should we write to?

I'm going to see if JFJP are planning anything.

pcsjwgm

Quote from: pancreas on May 11, 2021, 05:05:17 PM
Worth watching the Palestinian ambassador take that cunt Maitliss down:

https://twitter.com/yasmin_khan/status/1392068859193171973?s=20

How the fuck does she sleep at night.

"Israeli police say that they believe it [Al-Aqsa Mosque] was being used as a military stronghold". Ridiculous that the BBC are entertaining this crap, no more respectable than Trumpian claims that anyone who gets brutalised by a cop or other right-wing thug is actually an Antifa provocateur.

EOLAN

Quote from: pcsjwgm on May 12, 2021, 02:44:11 PM
"Israeli police say that they believe it [Al-Aqsa Mosque] was being used as a military stronghold". Ridiculous that the BBC are entertaining this crap, no more respectable than Trumpian claims that anyone who gets brutalised by a cop or other right-wing thug is actually an Antifa provocateur.

Sure the BBC pretty much take the same approach with regards to domestic issues involving hardline  policing, filling their headlines with the police's talking points and doing minimal if any investigative journalism or allowing sufficient counterpoints be highlighted.

Buelligan

Quote from: Kankurette on May 12, 2021, 02:20:51 PM
Is there anything else we can do as well as BDS? Like, who should we write to?

I'm going to see if JFJP are planning anything.

If you check out the page https://bdsmovement.net/news/sheikh-jarrah-what-happening-and-how-you-can-take-action-now  You'll see some companies listed that you may wish to write to and also suggestions of others you may wish to contact, as well as other things you can do to contribute towards ending this oppression as soon as possible.

Kankurette

Quote from: pcsjwgm on May 12, 2021, 02:44:11 PM

Western outlets are straight-facedly parroting that it was reasonable to destroy a 13-story apartment building because a "Hamas commander" lived there or was hiding there. Truly deranged.

Neville Chamberlain

Yes, but if the Palestinians had the fire power of Israel, they'd be a lot worse!!!

(This is an actual argument employed by a centrist acquaintance of mine.)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 12, 2021, 04:51:19 PM
Western outlets are straight-facedly parroting that it was reasonable to destroy a 13-story apartment building because a "Hamas commander" lived there or was hiding there. Truly deranged.

It was Bin Laden/Gadaffi/Hussein/Assange/Snowden in there though, so all good

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on May 12, 2021, 05:21:37 PM
Yes, but if the Palestinians had the fire power of Israel, they'd be a lot worse!!!

Kill them. No good to humankind. You'd be doing everyone a favour

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on May 12, 2021, 05:21:37 PM

Wonder why it is that Israel has that firepower then.

idunnosomename

Mr Hamas general can you stand up please.

This Hamas general has learnt the value of not being seen.

However, a neighbour told us where he was.

And here is that neighbour.

And this is where he lives.

And this is where he was born.

chveik

"our neighbours". boycott her films, it shouldn't be too hard they look absolute shite

and she's turned off replies!!

Murasaki

The language of equivalence is what gets to me the most - most centrists, who believe "both sides are as bad as each other" and feel ever so morally advanced for having the courage to say so, fundamentally do not understand that the Occupier and the Occupied are not the same. That the Oppressor and the Oppressed are not the same. To say otherwise is immoral. The Oppressor has the right to resist - by any means necessary. Their resistance does not need to be approved of by the Occupier and their allies, yet this is what we see over and over again.

This is fed into by all kinds of little things - the normalisation of a bunch of white people turning up and deciding something is theirs for the taking. Suddenly yallah is a cool Israeli word, and hummus and falafel are Israeli cuisine, suddenly it's fine for some white kid in New Jersey to turn up on the obscenity that is the "Birthright Tour" of a land he's only got the most engineered connection to. I mean, if that level of arrogance and entitlement doesn't prove that we are dealing with yer run of the mill Colonial-era whitey, I don't know what does.