Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:56:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Al-Aqsa Mosque In Jerusalem - what is happening and why

Started by Buelligan, May 11, 2021, 03:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOLAN

Fine Gael wing of Irish Government are surprisingly taking a very strong forthright position against Israel's actions. Might have expected it from coalition partners more so given their respective stances over banning importation of Israel good from Palestine terriroties in previous negotiations.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kankurette on May 13, 2021, 03:01:00 PM
They always say this. 'Oh, Hamas were hiding behind civilians.' Fuck OFF.

Im avoiding any comments because seeing white men from the isle of man say things like "Iran helping Hamas...why am i not suprised" is likely to finish me off as i explode with apoplexy.

buttgammon

Quote from: EOLAN on May 14, 2021, 01:41:56 AM
Fine Gael wing of Irish Government are surprisingly taking a very strong forthright position against Israel's actions. Might have expected it from coalition partners more so given their respective stances over banning importation of Israel good from Palestine terriroties in previous negotiations.

You'll have almost certainly heard this but the Irish ambassador to Israel was summoned by the Israel government and given a dressing down because of the government's criticism. At the same time, though, they're trying to stop the Occupied Territories Bill going through on the grounds that it's unconstitutional.

Despite the widespread sympathy for the Palestinian people in Ireland, The Irish Times have been tone deaf as ever, with some execrable BBCing https://twitter.com/maevehiggins/status/1392467395336458241?s=20 .

BlodwynPig

An tSaoi

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 13, 2021, 10:05:12 PM
In the previous loyalist estate I lived in, my neighbour used to the Israeli flag. It's not uncommon for loyalists to do so.

Yup, and on the same note, they put the Palestinian flag up outside my local Sinn Féin office yesterday.

I wonder who started it? I assume the nationalists supported Palestine first, and then the loyalists just did the opposite. It was hardly the other way round, but who knows. A lot of the more extreme loyalists have a neo-nazi combat 18 sort of vibe, so them flying a star of David is very funny.

Quote from: buttgammon on May 14, 2021, 08:55:13 AM
You'll have almost certainly heard this but the Irish ambassador to Israel was summoned by the Israel government and given a dressing down because of the government's criticism.

He should have brought up the time Mossad assassins used forged Irish passports.

idunnosomename

Considering Israel is an ethno-state based on an ancient kingdom of dubious historicity, neo-nazis fuckin love it. And putting all the Jews in one place to start the rapture or otherwise.

EOLAN

Quote from: An tSaoi on May 14, 2021, 10:08:18 AM
Yup, and on the same note, they put the Palestinian flag up outside my local Sinn Féin office yesterday.

I wonder who started it? I assume the nationalists supported Palestine first, and then the loyalists just did the opposite. It was hardly the other way round, but who knows.

I am more surprised that they ever had it taken down. Visiting Palestine as fact finding or humanitarian visit is practically a rite of passage for aspiring Sinn Fein and hard-left politicians of other parties in Ireland.
And you had the 'controversy' over the serving Sinn Fein Dublin Lord Mayor visiting Ramallah a couple of years ago. Israel assuming his Irish title was his name missed him when he entered Jerusalem: https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-lord-mayor-israel-spelling-mistake-3951472-Apr2018/

steve98

A friend of mine's written what he calls a Rapture Rap, and wonders if anyone would like to hear it? It's wicked. (And you don't have to be a Christian to enjoy it)

buttgammon

Quote from: EOLAN on May 14, 2021, 10:18:57 AM
I am more surprised that they ever had it taken down. Visiting Palestine as fact finding or humanitarian visit is practically a rite of passage for aspiring Sinn Fein and hard-left politicians of other parties in Ireland.
And you had the 'controversy' over the serving Sinn Fein Dublin Lord Mayor visiting Ramallah a couple of years ago. Israel assuming his Irish title was his name missed him when he entered Jerusalem: https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-lord-mayor-israel-spelling-mistake-3951472-Apr2018/

Haha! That's fantastic!

I seem to recall the Palestinian flag flying over Dublin City Hall at one time, possibly during Ardmheára MacDonncha's tenure

Sonny_Jim

Reminds me of that reckless Polish guy called 'Pravo Jadzy', racking up speed tickets all over Ireland:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7899171.stm

This makes me smile.  This whole Israel thing makes me feel sad though.   Aren't world leaders supposed to step in and go 'Woah lads, this is getting a bit out of hand, don't you think?'.  When's that going to happen?

monkfromhavana

If the Israeli government and its supporters and military wing took over all of Palestine, would they stop there? Or would they then begin to annexe other countries in an unlawful manner such as Jordan & Lebanon? Or would they stop because God didn't give them planning permission there?

bgmnts

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on May 14, 2021, 02:05:44 PM
whole Israel thing makes me feel sad though.   Aren't world leaders supposed to step in and go 'Woah lads, this is getting a bit out of hand, don't you think?'.  When's that going to happen?

Presumably when the people who should step in no longer have a vested interest in a good relationship with Israel.

NoSleep

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on May 14, 2021, 02:05:44 PM
Aren't world leaders supposed to step in and go 'Woah lads, this is getting a bit out of hand, don't you think?'. When's that going to happen?

The US[nb]A world leader[/nb] back Israel, funding them extraordinarily well and are equally deaf to external pressure.

bgmnts

UN warns of "full-scale war" according to the BBC, as opposed to a conflict with just toy soldiers and tanks and stuff.

If it comes to blows Israel could probably utterly destroy Palestine and raze it to the ground within an hour couldn't it?

It is insane how they talk about Israel and Palestine like they're both on equal footing.

chveik

genocide would be a more accurate term than war

idunnosomename

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 14, 2021, 02:11:30 PM
If the Israeli government and its supporters and military wing took over all of Palestine, would they stop there? Or would they then begin to annexe other countries in an unlawful manner such as Jordan & Lebanon? Or would they stop because God didn't give them planning permission there?
well they did that with the Sinai peninusla (Egypt) in 1967 but they gave it back eventually. Southern Lebannon in the 80s. And they still have Golan (Syria). Which Priti Patel went to to meet them in, the cheeky so and so

Zetetic

I'm also finding it slightly disorientating that the distinction between Palestinians/Palestine and Gazans/Gaza Strip often isn't terribly clear.

I'm assuming that Fatah and the "Palestinian Government" aren't that fussed by a Israeli invasion of Gaza per se, and might even be pleased at the impact on Hamas under some conditions?

Kankurette

Quote from: An tSaoi on May 14, 2021, 10:08:18 AM

I wonder who started it? I assume the nationalists supported Palestine first, and then the loyalists just did the opposite. It was hardly the other way round, but who knows. A lot of the more extreme loyalists have a neo-nazi combat 18 sort of vibe, so them flying a star of David is very funny.

He should have brought up the time Mossad assassins used forged Irish passports.
The fact some neo-Nazis are pro-Israel is another reason to distance myself from it, though I would also like to point out there are also neo-Nazis who are pro-Palestine not because they give a shit about human rights, but because they hate Jews and 'Hitler was right'. Some hate Arabs more than Jews, others hate Jews more than Arabs. Personally I wish the whole lot of them would fuck off out of it. I can't be doing with a bunch of Loyalists sticking their noses in a conflict they know fuck all about, and tbh I don't get why they love Israel, other than the fact it pisses themmuns off. I can at least understand why Sinn Fein/Celtic fans have some solidarity with Palestinians.

Avaaz are doing a petition. I'm keeping an eye out for DEC appeals as well.

ETA: Israel trying to expand into Lebanon and Jordan would be even stupider and more dangerous than what it's doing now.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I have a feeling that at least some Loyalists support Israel for the same reason some American Christian groups do - Israel must exist for to bring about The Rapture.

idunnosomename

peanutbutter

At this stage are we at a point where defenses of Israel in the west are starting to wear thin to such an extent amongst younger people in the west that Israel might just be viewing it as the tactical move to obliterate Palestine while they've still ultimately got unwavering support from powers abroad to do whatever they want?

Is there a valid reason the US didn't just kick Netanyahu out 5 or so years ago? His efforts to retain power seem like they're largely at odds with US interests of maintaining the thinnest veneer that it isn't a brutally repressive regeme; they could just have a revolving door of equally bad guys who ultimately defer their decisions to the US.

Blumf

idunnosomename

Well actually this British guy says the BBC did have an office there so maybe they might be pissed off now if they'd left some good stationery in there

https://twitter.com/ImtiazTyab/status/1393545888115695619?s=19

Buelligan

I can't get to a protest but have put a Palestinian dove flag in my window.  Solidarity.

idunnosomename

Heres one to watch with sound on. Al Jazeera reporting on their own offices being blown up.

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1393548304852606977?s=19

are... were

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blumf on May 15, 2021, 01:54:07 PM
Big protest in London currently (and all over the UK)

https://twitter.com/FaridQureshi_UK/status/1393547262362595340

Not seeing anything about it on the BBC.

They're not allowed to report on anything anti-israel.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 15, 2021, 02:16:53 PM
Heres one to watch with sound on. Al Jazeera reporting on their own offices being blown up.

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1393548304852606977?s=19

are... were

I wonder if the right-wing "our voices are being silenced in the media" free speech brigade will be up in arms about this? Nah.

Buelligan

Just had a lovely little moment of solidarity.  Went out to check all wild cats have food and a neighbour, having seen my Palestine flag/dove, shouted Freedom Palestine, SUPER! with a huge smile and thumbs up.  Made me feel the world is not such a cold dark place.