Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 750
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:56:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

David Hockney's Half-Arsed Descending "S"

Started by Zetetic, May 11, 2021, 09:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

TfL commissioned Hockney to produce something for Piccadilly Circus, and he turned in this:

Let's get some stuff out of the way - it's both rubbish[nb]I'm assuming there'll be some defences in this thread and I'm looking forward to them.[/nb] and look very little effort, and David Hockney is capable of producing stuff that's not rubbish if he's moved to. (In fairness, I'm not sure that Piccadilly Circus would move me to anything either.)

Should they have asked him to have another go? Just binned it? Put a little notice on it explaining the brief and how much cash you give him?

I don't think I've ever been brave enough to turn anything in as a straightforwardly well-this'll-do as this, in any situation, so I'm quite impressed by that.

Buelligan

Don't really care about it.  Like the dachshunds.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hockney/Morrissey mashup warranted I reckon

PlanktonSideburns

I once went to an exhibition of Ringo Starr's paintings in the 90s

Hockney was there staring like that bit in ferris beuler

Cuellar

JamesTC

SHIT FOR CUNT
                       S

PlanktonSideburns

I recon he just plays the room he's given

Gig in the tate? Let's do some nice protection stuff with cameras in the countyside

The SUN?! yea I'll do you a logo sure

A grotty tube station? Yea if you want... Did you see the thing I did for the Sun?

idunnosomename

hockney was doing weird your dad shit on his ipad like ten years ago. have you seen his window in westminster abbey? lol

(bonus shaft-rings on the right there)

Famous Mortimer

I've been to his gallery in Yorkshire, and the quality was enormously variable - he's capable of producing sublime works of art, but  also banging out some shite on an iPad like the window above.

Butchers Blind

Taking the piss. Having a big laugh in his big house about this.

Goldentony

These shit designs are exactly what everybody whos contacted Hockney since he started doing this has deserved. Especially since people keep asking him and expecting anything different. London, The Sun, that Abbey posted above - all shit for cunts. Anyone asks you to do shit like this and you have the room to fuck them over for cash, then yes, always take it

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Agree I think if you commission someone capable of greatness to create something for a concept that is dull, prosaic, totally uninspiring then you end up with this and a load of Carol Ann Duffy poems, and deserve to.

I guess Duffy is actually really trying though, bad example, sorry.

idunnosomename

yes his canvases from the 60s and early 70s are superb in every respect. the composition of all his recent digital stuff is all horseshit. he's taking the piss. or gone a bit peculiar. both maybe.

canadagoose

Quote from: Goldentony on May 11, 2021, 10:33:59 PM
These shit designs are exactly what everybody whos contacted Hockney since he started doing this has deserved. Especially since people keep asking him and expecting anything different. London, The Sun, that Abbey posted above - all shit for cunts. Anyone asks you to do shit like this and you have the room to fuck them over for cash, then yes, always take it
100% in agreement with this post.

Pinball

I think he has perfectly captured the mediocrity and squalor, although he could have coated it in soot and vomit too.

Overall, primary school kids could do better, and I don't mean talented ones.

H-O-W-L

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Goldentony

took me years to realise they photoshopped him in

touchingcloth

Is the s being separate from the rest of the letters related to something about Piccadilly Circus?

The Mollusk

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 11, 2021, 09:39:29 PM
A grotty tube station? Yea if you want... Did you see the thing I did for the Sun?

It is at least a shame in that PC isn't a grotty station, it's in one of the most tourist-heavy parts of the city and the layout/colouring of the tiling and brass railing throughout it is really nicely designed, and that garish colour combo looks totally at odds with it. That said, I also agree with GT and think the people who commissioned it and the swathes of dawdling platform-entrance-blocking tourist twats who frequent the station deserve to suffer, so fuck it.

Fambo Number Mive

Part of a tourism campaign. The giant squid state in Japan was much better.

Can't see anyone coming to Picadilly Circus to see that, even if they live within walking distance.

imitationleather

I probably would go to Piccadilly Circus to see it if I was in London, tbh.

Zetetic

These shit designs are exactly what everybody whos contacted Hockney since he started doing this has deserved. Especially since people keep asking him and expecting anything different.
I can disagree with this, but...

QuoteAnyone asks you to do shit like this and you have the room to fuck them over for cash, then yes, always take it
Hockney presumably has effectively infinite personal wealth already at this point (and these sorts of commissions aren't going to tip him over to the next level of having power of life-or-death over millions). If he's spending 6 minutes on this and donating the cash to a charity based in Tower Hamlets or something, fair enough.

If he's not, then I do think it is a bit of a shame; someone else might have done a really big squid if Hockney hadn't taken this.

Fambo Number Mive

Unlikely I will be going to London whilst Hockney's pathetic daubing is up, but if I do I will avoid Piccadilly Circus so I don't have to look at that lazy and garish artwork.

According to one journalist on Twitter, Hockney did it for free:

https://twitter.com/Andyjoneswrites/status/1392414523961774080

Personally I think he should have been charged £1000 a day to put that nonsense up.

Buelligan

Heheh.  This reminds me, I went for a job at the Design Museum once, when I still thought having a job was something I might take an interest in.  They asked me what I thought of a particular logo and I gave an honest reply.  Needless to say, dear reader, I did not get that job.  Don't care about that at all but it makes me laugh sometimes when I think about all the shit these cunts curate.

Alberon

Quote from: Zetetic on May 11, 2021, 09:17:36 PM
TfL commissioned Hockney to produce something for Piccadilly Circus, and he turned in this:

I could do better than that and, forget my artwork, my handwriting alone is so bad I have to write in capitals so I can read it.

He could have at least put a couple of hands around the O pulling it apart.

Fambo Number Mive