Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:56:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

David Hockney's Half-Arsed Descending "S"

Started by Zetetic, May 11, 2021, 09:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Reminds me of this;

which was also a pisstake.

Pdine

Clearly this is all part of a long term, conceptual piece which deals with attitudes to artistic competence. You should see it as a continuation of the Hockney-Falco thesis which is - to paraphrase - that good art is cheating.

Dex Sawash

Lungpuddle

Butchers Blind

I like people analysing this when clearly it's S4C and a case of 'will this do' effort.

Dr Trouser

Can't wait to see it, wonder who'll do the voices now that Richard Briers is dead?

greenman

Fambo Number Mive

Blumf

touchingcloth has made a pissy de resistance.. Tray Bohn.

ASFTSN

Doesn't he just smoke weed all the time now? He's probably miles above caring about anything.

Goldentony

London getting David "he's still alive" Hockney for free and in return getting this instead of a neon sign or some angel wings every fucker can take a photo opp in front of - amazing, make it as garish and as ugly and as much of an assault on the eyes as humanly possible FOR WHAT IS PICADILLY CIRCUS??? its a tube station FOR YOU TO GO TO WORK IN AND AWAY FROM AND THEN GO to I dont know, wherever cockneys go at the weekend, Tower Hamlets or THE ANGEL ISLINGTON

This is still shit like but it is also really, really funny and also fuck anywhere in London that has the weight to ask David Hockney for something because to get to that point in life in that location you almost certainly have to have done something evil.

pancreas

Goldentony

TC well done the boys stick that up round the train station

shiftwork2

thenoise

Picadilly Circus? More like Pick-a-silly Artist!?!

king_tubby

Has Jonathan Jones written an article about how brilliant it is yet? And how you are all fools for saying it is rubbish, aaaaaaaaaah.

sutin

David Hockney at his trolling best. I think he's great.

Autopsy Turvey

There are precedents for this, the official 2012 Diamond Jubilee emblem was done by a 10-year-old with felt tips, the Tories scrapped their manly torch motif for a 5-second childish scribble of a tree. Presumably Hockney's making a sardonic point about the infantilization of culture and society and the erosion of standards of discernment, taste and critical thinking in the 21st century. Which is all very well, but it was up to Sadiq to say "Ha ha, snarky little piss-take Dave, now do it properly", instead of calling it a "Brilliant work" and forcing everyone to wonder if his judgement is this impaired, maybe we shouldn't be trusting him with knife crime and council tax policy.

Zetetic

idunnosomename

While I agree that this does show how superficial and insincere Khan is I dont think it has anything to do with the crime rate in London, which more a symptom of our shitty Tory country than a Centrist Labour mayor.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 14, 2021, 01:27:23 PM
While I agree that this does show how superficial and insincere Khan is I dont think it has anything to do with the crime rate in London,

I didn't mean to suggest that Sadiq's lack of aesthetic discernment had led to a spike in knife crime, just that his reaction to this octogenarian piss-take might call into question his judgement on various other issues that he's consistently failed to deal with.

Quotemore a symptom of our shitty Tory country than a Centrist Labour mayor.

Got any stats on this? Because how does that analysis explain this little chart:

Which depicts rates of "homicide with a sharp instrument" in London compared to the rest of the country, and shows that knife murders dramatically peaked under both a Labour government and the very non-centrist Ken Livingstone's Labour mayoralty, before plummeting when Boris became Mayor and levelling off after Labour lost the 2010 election?

Zetetic

Why does murdering someone not count if you kick them to death rather than stabbing them?

Why does it end in 2015? Why not go up until 2019?

Why does it start in 2003? Why not go back until the mid'90s?

Are we talking about differences of about 10 or 20 murders in the period shown once you stop weirdly cooking the numbers? (You also have to exclude the various mass casualty events, I note, depending on what you're interested in.)

You're a fool to yourself.

Fambo Number Mive

Where is that chart from, out of interest?

Zetetic

That's a very, very, very good question, Fambo.[nb]Here's the answer - a paper looking at the general reduction in homicide in Wales and England from 2004-2014, in the context of the reversal in recent years. The chart makes a bit more sense in the paper.[/nb]

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Zetetic on May 14, 2021, 04:16:21 PM
Why does murdering someone not count if you kick them to death rather than stabbing them?

It's not that it "doesn't count", I think you know that's a silly way of putting it, but the disproportionate issue in London homicides is stabbing, no one's saying Sadiq Khan has failed to get a handle on the 'steel toecap crime epidemic'.

QuoteWhy does it end in 2015? Why not go up until 2019?
Why does it start in 2003? Why not go back until the mid'90s?

Because this chart is from an investigation into The Homicide Drop In England & Wales 2004-2014: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1748895820930761 Stats are easily accessible for homicide rates from 1901 to 2019, but it might as well end in 2015 because we know that all violent crime in London since then has been the fault of the Tories.

QuoteAre we talking about differences of about 10 or 20 murders in the period shown once you stop weirdly cooking the numbers? (You also have to exclude the various mass casualty events, I note, depending on what you're interested in.)

You've got the study, if I've misrepresented findings by all means put me right, here's another report that fleshes out the subject: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/870188/trends-and-drivers-of-homicide-main-findings-horr113.pdf (The conclusion is basically that in the long term homicides are on a downward trajectory because of rising living standards). Obviously it's a complex and multi-faceted area and we could sift and accrue the data until Christmas, I was just testing the assertion that knife crime in London is caused by "our shitty Tory country". Maybe it is, if so there might be a chart to prove it that I haven't yet seen.

QuoteYou're a fool to yourself.

I'm a fool to you, fair dos, but it's a quiet day at work, and I'm always glad of the opportunity to browse some morbid stats.

imitationleather

Now he's finished campaigning it's nice to have Shaun Bailey back on the forum.

Zetetic

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on May 14, 2021, 04:46:00 PM
It's not that it "doesn't count"
By showing that chart in isolation, you've literally not counted them.

QuoteYou've got the study, if I've misrepresented findings by all means put me right
Why does the impact of Tory government from 2010 to the present day end in 2015, again?