Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 729
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:33:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

David Hockney's Half-Arsed Descending "S"

Started by Zetetic, May 11, 2021, 09:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Zetetic on May 14, 2021, 05:02:16 PM
By showing that chart in isolation, you've literally not counted them.

There are other charts you can peruse in the materials provided, but they were less relevant to the matter in hand.

QuoteWhy does the impact of Tory government from 2010 to the present day end in 2015, again?

Well I'm not saying it does, and indeed the impact of a London Labour mayoralty from 2016 to the present day is also interesting. Further research pending!

steveh

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on May 14, 2021, 04:05:47 PM
Which depicts rates of "homicide with a sharp instrument" in London compared to the rest of the country, and shows that knife murders dramatically peaked under both a Labour government and the very non-centrist Ken Livingstone's Labour mayoralty, before plummeting when Boris became Mayor and levelling off after Labour lost the 2010 election?

The main reason for that plummet was the introduction of performance related targets for the police which encouraged them to stop recording crimes to meet them.

There's a good analysis of the issues with London policing and crime here, which includes links to the stats and dashboards.

Zetetic

I recognise the recording issue applying more widely, but is there good evidence that it applied to homicides?

Bernice

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on May 14, 2021, 04:05:47 PM
I didn't mean to suggest that Sadiq's lack of aesthetic discernment had led to a spike in knife crime, just that his reaction to this octogenarian piss-take might call into question his judgement on various other issues that he's consistently failed to deal with.

Got any stats on this? Because how does that analysis explain this little chart:

Which depicts rates of "homicide with a sharp instrument" in London compared to the rest of the country, and shows that knife murders dramatically peaked under both a Labour government and the very non-centrist Ken Livingstone's Labour mayoralty, before plummeting when Boris became Mayor and levelling off after Labour lost the 2010 election?

But also, importantly, ends before Sadiq Khan took office in 2016. I mean, I have no clue what the causes of knife crime are, if I'm honest, nor how much the Mayor's remit intersects with those causes. But it is definitely a stupid graph with which to blame Sadiq Khan for knife crime, given he sits in the empty space to the right of the image.

Bernice

Also, why is it specifically knife crime that's always attributed to him? Why not acid attacks or moped purse snatchings? Is it because knife crime intersects with the online transatlantic right? I do always see it invoked by gun lovin' Americans as proof of why assault rifles are basically like kitchenware.

PlanktonSideburns

Crazy to think this shit drawing caused all the knife crime to go up years ago. The power of art

steveh

Quote from: Zetetic on May 14, 2021, 05:42:14 PM
I recognise the recording issue applying more widely, but is there good evidence that it applied to homicides?

From what I've read on it, I think it was a combination of ignoring the recording of minor offences and downgrading the more serious crimes to lesser offences. For things like knife crime, especially among youths from minority communities, going for manslaughter charges instead wouldn't be a big stretch would it?

Zetetic

imitationleather

Jim'll Paint It has done Hockney painting the logo:

idunnosomename

Blimey thats a depature from his usual. He does only get better which is unusual for this sort of internet sensation thing (compare say, the oatmeal or chris simpsons artist that blew up and quickly ran out of steam. I always hated thd oatmeal of course)

DoesNotFollow

It's a bit of a play on Hockney's 1977 painting of his parents. Back when he gave a shit.

idunnosomename

he's copied the sideboard with the Chardin book (and added his own in).

big question is - does David Hockney really have a bidet?!?

king_tubby

imitationleather

I've bought a print of that Jim'll Paint It. Gonna hang it in the loo. 😎