Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:04:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Standing Water: Yuck or Yum?

Started by Mobbd, May 12, 2021, 11:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Not water that has been standing for weeks in a rancid canal or anything. Just tap water that's maybe 8 hours old.

Each night, I put a glass of water next to my bed in case I need it in the night. I usually just sleep right through though, not drinking the water until morning. My girlfriend reckons it's not healthy to drink this "old" water because it might have formed bacteria that wouldn't be present if I'd only wait a few minutes to get fresh water from the tap.

I'd never thought about it one way or another, but maybe (a) she's right or maybe (b) the overnight bacteria is actually a good thing and it makes me the digestive and immune-system ubermench I am today.

Deeply-scientific answers from qualified bacteriologists only please.

Sebastian Cobb

It's going to be fine. I dare say the biggest difference that makes it seem less fresh is the temperature.

Buelligan

Water is expensive here so I'd never waste it but even if it was free, what is the evidence that fresh water resting in a clean receptacle for eight hours is more dangerous than fresh water resting in a clean receptacle for seven, six, five, four or whatevs hours? 

Consignia

Let's just check the Wes-Streeting-ometer:

Yum it is.

Buelligan

Wes Streeting there, sadly found face down in a glass of eight hour old water.  A nation mourns.

Icehaven

How 'fresh' is it from a tap anyway? Pipes aren't airtight are they so surely the same bacteria that could form in water in a glass could form while it's in the pipes too?

Buelligan

Probably best to add a good dollop of bleach to each glassful.  Can't be too careful.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on May 12, 2021, 12:01:33 PM
How 'fresh' is it from a tap anyway? Pipes aren't airtight are they so surely the same bacteria that could form in water in a glass could form while it's in the pipes too?

I'd have thought they are being water tight and full of pressurised water.

But then water towers, reservoirs, etc aren't airtight.

Butchers Blind

I only drink water straight from the bottle.

Dr Trouser

Quote from: Butchers Blind on May 12, 2021, 12:17:36 PM
I only drink water straight from the bottle.

I make my own deconstructed artisanal water from oxygen and green hydrogen.

Jittlebags

You don't want to be splashed by unclean water. That would be most upsetting.

bgmnts

I specifically drink tepid or warm water because I have sensitive teeth so no issue for me drinking overnight water or anything.

Mobbd

Quote from: Buelligan on May 12, 2021, 12:03:46 PM
Probably best to add a good dollop of bleach to each glassful.  Can't be too careful.

Will do! Thanks!

GMTV

When I was working on a construction site we had big plastic drums of water which were for tea/coffee. They got filled up with water every few weeks. I asked how this was OK, aye its fine the waters been treated and anyway you're boiling it. It did have a weird smell to it, but on the plus side I grew extra limbs so it had some positives.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on May 12, 2021, 12:01:33 PM

Ask Frederik Hammes

H-O-W-L

I use old whiskey/wine/spirits bottles to have water at my desk. Never had issues having the water in there (with the cap on) for a full day or so, though I tend to change it out every 24 hours. After about 12-13 hours you get the overwhelming chlorine/flouride taste from tap water where the constituent elements have separated out, but I've never been ill because of it. Only problem I've had with this system is the inevitable mildew buildup inside the cap -- but that's fine, just put the bottle in recycling and use another freshly-emptied bottle, sterilize it, reuse.

An open glass of water would probably be fine after 8 hours -- fuck knows I've drank water that's been out longer -- provided it was indoors and not in direct sunlight.

Jasha

Just don't get it mixed up with your penis beaker

Sebastian Cobb

I find bottles with a silicone washer/seal in the cap are awful for mildew, have to pick them out with a blunt knife and give them a good clean every now and then.

I've got some nice glass bottles from Lidl when they sell Polish fruit juices in them, they've got a wider neck than wine/spirits, but I still can't get my cleaning brush down it to clean the insides so if you reuse them a bit too much between cleans they can still look a bit stained.

Alberon

I don't think it's going to culture legionella overnight.

Anyway, all the mind controls drugs the Illuminati put in the water probably keep it safe from contamination.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 12, 2021, 01:30:17 PM
I use old whiskey/wine/spirits bottles to have water at my desk. Never had issues having the water in there (with the cap on) for a full day or so, though I tend to change it out every 24 hours. After about 12-13 hours you get the overwhelming chlorine/flouride taste from tap water where the constituent elements have separated out, but I've never been ill because of it. Only problem I've had with this system is the inevitable mildew buildup inside the cap -- but that's fine, just put the bottle in recycling and use another freshly-emptied bottle, sterilize it, reuse.

An open glass of water would probably be fine after 8 hours -- fuck knows I've drank water that's been out longer -- provided it was indoors and not in direct sunlight.

"Why is there a bottle of vodka on your desk?"

"Oh it's alright, it's water. I empty them out and then fill them with water"

"Fair enough. Can I have a smell of it?"

"No"

Sebastian Cobb

Heh, I once had one of those ginger beers that looks like a stubby bottle of beer and the amount of jokey comments convinced me it wasn't worth getting them again.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 12, 2021, 01:52:56 PM
"Why is there a bottle on vodka on your desk?"

"No"

This entire conversation has happened before. Though I said "no" purely for the lols.

Buelligan

Quote from: Jasha on May 12, 2021, 01:42:37 PM
Just don't get it mixed up with your penis beaker

Or anyone else's.

Pijlstaart

I'll drink your water in a second, eh!? That's how it is with me, it's not how it was, scarcity doctrine, watched seaspiracy and spent the evening gaffer-taping my pores and ouroborosing my own piss with a hollow toy lightsaber. That's the real water cycle, evaporation isn't biblical and god gave us holes so we'd fill them, as jesus becomes wine, so too do you become his jug. You remind me of how I used to be, a shrivelled up prune shrieking on a lilypad, oooh have to leave pans of standing water about, top it up with my own tears so my little mosquito buddies have somewhere to lay their eggs. Trust me, it's no way to live, I'm just glad those days are behind me now.

flotemysost

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 12, 2021, 01:52:56 PM
"Why is there a bottle of vodka on your desk?"

"No"

I have some blue-tinted glass tumblers and I was swigging water from one during a Zoom video meeting last year. One of my colleagues (who is also a friend) messaged me on the chat saying "I see you're on the WKD already", and now we sometimes message one another observing what sort of booze it looks like everyone else on the call is necking. Top notch WFH bantz there, I know.

I've heard cats prefer to drink water that's been left standing for a few hours than fresh from the tap, not sure why. Mine used to favour the algae-topped water butt in the garden, the little weirdos.

touchingcloth

I'll happily eat meat and curry and pizza and omelettes which have been left out for longer than 8 hours, and it's never done me any harm aside from that one incident.

ZoyzaSorris

The bacteria that are everywhere in the environment around you like nothing more than to sit in sweet nutritious chlorinated water and multiply like mad.
Unless you have AIDS I think you'll be fine (and even then it'd be the least of your worries I think.)