Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:38:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Green Knight

Started by Butchers Blind, May 12, 2021, 12:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butchers Blind

https://youtu.be/nOsjpD7i5No

Think this was supposed to be out last year but is due this summer. Will definitely be making the trip back to the cinema to see this one when its released. Looks visually splendid.

Lungpuddle

I'm looking forward to him becoming the White Knight and stealing the show from Red[nb]Googled 'Power Rangers catchphrase' to remind myself what it was, but got distracted by 'Magic Wand, make my monster grow!' Wtf?[/nb].

I agree with you about the visuals. The Green Ranger looks a bit Entish, or one of those things from the Doctor Who Christmas special set in basically-Narnia. So, uh, an Ent. It'll probably be standard stuff, but seeing it in a cinema would be a good experience. Haven't heard of the director before, but Dev Patel's good in things. Probably not going to risk going to a cinema though, to be honest.

bakabaka

It does feel somehow appropriate that they look to have modelled the Green Knight on Alan Moore.

And they appear to have stayed close to the original story, which makes a pleasant change. Definitely looking forward to this.

phantom_power

Who would have thought Ralph Ineson would play the title character in a major Hollywood film

Glebe

Quote from: Lungpuddle on May 12, 2021, 12:38:07 PMI agree with you about the visuals. The Green Ranger looks a bit Entish, or one of those things from the Doctor Who Christmas special set in basically-Narnia. So, uh, an Ent.

I though "Groot" when I saw a picture of him. I do like the look of this though.

bgmnts

Yeah very Ent/Grootish looking thing but Arthurian stuff is sometimes interesting. We've never seen a penny of any of that shit!

I'm surprised Disney don't own King Arthur.

Anyway, I love a talking animal in a film and the fox reminded me a bit of Johnny Cash's coyote in that season 8 episode of the Simpsons with the chilli cookoff.

Glebe

Quote from: phantom_power on May 12, 2021, 12:49:20 PMWho would have thought Ralph Ineson would play the title character in a major Hollywood film

I thought it might be Andy Serkis actually.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: bgmnts on May 12, 2021, 10:51:54 PM
Yeah very Ent/Grootish looking thing but Arthurian stuff is sometimes interesting. We've never seen a penny of any of that shit!

I'm surprised Disney don't own King Arthur.

Anyway, I love a talking animal in a film and the fox reminded me a bit of Johnny Cash's coyote in that season 8 episode of the Simpsons with the chilli cookoff.

Isn't King Arthur in the public domain? Like Robin Hood, no one owns them but a studio might find themselves in copyright soup if they encroach on imagery that is specific to Disney.

Like, anyone can make a film of Frankenstein but might get into trouble if they copy the imagery from the Universal film (neck bolts, stitches around a flat head etc.)

dissolute ocelot

King Arthur seems to be a subject that attracts terrible filmmakers. Or encourages otherwise decent filmmakers to make utter nonsense. I like medieval brutality as much as the next person, but really couldn't care about this or any other film even tangentially collected with the Matter of Britain. John Boorman's Excalibur, Clive Owen pouting, Harrison Birtwistle's Gawain opera, Bresson's hilarious Lancelot, all painful. Even Disney's Sword in the Stone is meh.

Part of the problem is that the stories are all ridiculous and many make no sense whatsoever. Which is why Monty Python and the Holy Grail is the most accurate telling. (I guess The Fisher King was ok, was it?)

Goldentony

Lancelot Du Lac is a great film. Fantasy film with Arthur stuff free of effects and trained actors and music, works perfect. Slow, grim and quiet. Really miserable, get it watched.

Dusty Substance

Not usually a fan of swords and magic but this trailer hooked me right in. A24 fucking rules.

Dex Sawash

Batman is feeling unwell

Butchers Blind

This was supposed to be opening at the weekend but has been pushed back again due to Covid concerns. Don't fully understand as most other movies are now making it into cinemas.
Early word of mouth of good though.

Povidone

Taken a bit more interest in this after watching the high camp Canon classic Sword of the Valiant, it's a great time and I'm not sure this new film can live up to the glory of Sir Sean's take:

Gulftastic

What's that secret you're keeping?

Head Gardener

saw it this evening, loved it

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Head Gardener on August 19, 2021, 10:21:34 PM
saw it this evening, loved it

Likewise. Here's my mini-review:

An adaptation of a 14th century poem, this is a very earthy, grubby fantasy where after rising to a challenge set by a supernatural creature a year later Gawain (Dev Patel) must seek him out, but his journey there will be a long and unsettling one. It's beautifully shot and the sound design is stunning too, this feels very real but very odd at the same time, if I've any complaints it's that the cgi fox was a bit too obviously cgi, but otherwise this is something rather special, a moody strange work that really resonated with me. 8.2/10

Twit 2

What elevated it above an 8.1? What stopped it getting an 8.3?

chveik

madhair60

bgmnts

Geoffrey of Monmouth would be spinning in his grave.

Glebe

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Twit 2 on August 21, 2021, 11:16:44 PM
What elevated it above an 8.1?

Believable ejaculate.

QuoteWhat stopped it getting an 8.3?

Cgi Fox. They should have used a stuffed one and dragged him around on a box with wheels.

mjwilson

release the film here you cowards

Glebe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 22, 2021, 11:03:42 AMCgi Fox. They should have used a stuffed one and dragged him around on a box with wheels.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

At least it's not Laurence Fox.

I would like to see this film.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Glebe on August 22, 2021, 04:44:53 PM

I genuinely would have preferred that, and weirdly I think it would have fit the tone of the film.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 22, 2021, 04:58:12 PM
At least it's not Laurence Fox.

I would like to see this film.

It's available for dirty pirates in all the usual places, though visually it's so impressive I would recommend a trip to the cinema whenever it finally gets a release over here.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The trailer did make it look worth risking the cinema for. Certainly more visually impressive than that Dune trailer.

That said, I'm guessing it's not a mega budget production, so I wouldn't be surprised if the trailer contained the most gobsmacking stuff. Also I'm not convinced that Patel isn't actually a bit crap.

Butchers Blind

I've seen it up at a few sites but holding out as this is one I'm saving for a cinema experience. Hopefully it will get an autumn release.