Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:55:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Have you ever been headhunted?

Started by Blinder Data, May 12, 2021, 02:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

I just got an email from someone who, seemingly based solely on my long-neglected LinkedIn profile, would like to discuss an exciting job opportunity with me today/tomorrow. The role is related to what I do, has great "benefits" and pays £5-15k more than my current salary.

I cba replying because I'm not interested, but I must admit feeling a little flattered (even though their sign-off was asking whether I knew anyone else who could be interested!).

Have you ever got your head well and truly hunted?

My old manager was contacted by an agency for a new role, was successful at interview and used the better salary on offer to increase his current one with his employer. I would do the same if I knew that it would work, which I highly doubt.

Yes a few times.

But every time I've actually taken the job I've realised why they felt the need to go to such extremes - no-one else wanted the job and/or everyone else who might have taken the job internally was completely useless.

So either you're the fool for taking the job or you'll find yourself surrounded by fools.

Not exactly but my manager is always saying that there may be bigger and better opportunities for me out there that I should seriously consider exploring.

Magnum Valentino

No, not me, but a lad I worked with in Game in Crewe had a bit of a design portfolio online and LEGO saw it and came after him. He now lives in Billund and has designed several memorable minifigure expressions and deserves to be happy because he was a really lovely fellow. In fact, that might have been the only retail shop I ever worked in where there weren't any dickheads whatsoever. RIP Game Crewe.

madhair60

Icehaven

Never been headhunted but I got my first library job after attending a local council jobs fair. A few months later my boss said that they do a follow up to see how many posts are filled as a result of these fairs, and the grand total from the one I'd attended was 1. Me. I don't think they do them anymore.

Icehaven

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 12, 2021, 03:33:32 PM
No, not me, but a lad I worked with in Game in Crewe had a bit of a design portfolio online and LEGO saw it and came after him. He now lives in Billund and has designed several memorable minifigure expressions and deserves to be happy because he was a really lovely fellow. In fact, that might have been the only retail shop I ever worked in where there weren't any dickheads whatsoever. RIP Game Crewe.

My ex worked there about 17 years ago. Despite being my ex he actually wasn't too much of a dickhead either.

Paul Calf

Quote from: icehaven on May 12, 2021, 03:37:01 PM
Never been headhunted but I got my first library job after attending a local council jobs fair. A few months later my boss said that they do a follow up to see how many posts are filled as a result of these fairs, and the grand total from the one I'd attended was 1. Me. I don't think they do them anymore.

Don't you need about 100 years of study on top of at least a Bachelor's degree to be a librarian?

Icehaven

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 12, 2021, 03:39:15 PM
Don't you need about 100 years of study on top of at least a Bachelor's degree to be a librarian?

Yes of course, I have all those things.
No seriously you don't have to have any specific qualifications to be a library assistant (I have an English degree, which helped, but it's certainly not essential), although strangely the guy on the stall at the fair kept trying to tell me I needed a library and information studies qualification, which is nonsense. It was as if he was trying to put me off or something, although it used to be that to progress to management level you needed one but experience is OK now instead, so his information was just out of date (not great for someone supposed to be recruiting). The library I originally worked at had about 10 other staff, precisely one of whom had a library qualification and she was doing the same job as me. 

PlanktonSideburns

yes, but only because they knew i would be down to help them nick all the equiptment when everything went fuckwize in an impending merger

H-O-W-L

They are still pursuing me. But it won't be long before the hunter becomes the hunted. It's called "the most dangerous game" for a reason.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes. I was once recruited to pay off a series of long standing debts owed to a suite of institutions, private companies and individuals. I left because the pay as awful, in fact I was worse off than when I beggggannnnnnuuueeeerrrrrrrrhhhh

Ambient Sheep

Yes, but me being me I managed to talk them out of it, in the end the guy couldn't get off the phone fast enough.

Gurke and Hare

Almost. An agent contacted me out of the blue about a job that was virtually identical to the one I was doing at the time, so I said that since I wasn't looking to move it would need a salary of what I was earning then + 10k to make me interested. That didn't seem to be an issue, so he organised an interview and I went out and bought a suit but then the night before the interview the agent called me to cancel it because they'd offered the job to someone else who'd accepted it. I spent the day I'd booked off work taking the suit back.The person they'd given the job to let them down and they came back to me to try and rearrange the interview but I told them to piss off as I don't want to work for them if they piss people around like that, lucky escape I reckon.

shiftwork2

Nah the opposite, a succession of dogshits in my drawer usually