Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:26:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Age checks on Youtube seem to be here, then

Started by Rev+, May 12, 2021, 11:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev+

We all knew it was coming, but I was just given the option of submitting credit card details, or alternatively submitting a scan of my passport (this option provides access in around three days).

Not that arsed about the deleted scenes from Friday the 13th Part IV i was trying to look at, but this seems to have just become a reality after having been talked about for years.

peanutbutter

It's been there for a while hasn't it, just not super enforced? I'm pretty sure there was some stuff about it last year where TERF groups would relentlessly report videos about trans stuff and, on account of the topic being discussed, the bots scanning the dialogue would pick out enough flaggable words to apply an age restriction without considering their context at all.

Absolutely cripples the views on any video that gets flagged.

flotemysost

Will I be able to watch the Great great brill brill wicked wicked skill skill video if I give them my passport?

BJBMK2

Is this only if your viewing Youtube without being logged in? I've not noticed this when watching the frequently, frequently, age restricted videos I watch. For research.

Blumf

I've seen it while logged in, and it wouldn't have been an adult video. This is going to be arbitrary bollocks like all the copyright shit, isn't it?

canadagoose

I've not seen any age checks that require actual verification - is it just because I'm browsing using a Google account that has credit cards associated with it?

Blumf

Arrggghhh, a David Firth (of Salad Fingers fame) cartoon is apparently too adult:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSilNgpQj_o

idunnosomename

yes i've got these now too. you can get round them via external sites, even if Youtube has a block on mature video embeds.

wank pass reborn. or rather we want to harvest your data, you dirty monkey

BJBMK2

Quote from: Blumf on May 13, 2021, 12:48:31 AM
Arrggghhh, a David Firth (of Salad Fingers fame) cartoon is apparently too adult:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSilNgpQj_o

I'm still not getting any request to add card details/passport bollocks. I'm logged in with a Google/Youtube account, as well as using Adblocker. Could either/both of those be a factor? Is it just a drive to get more people to register Google accounts?

chveik

Quote from: BJBMK2 on May 13, 2021, 12:55:07 AM
Is it just a drive to get more people to register Google accounts?

pretty much

idunnosomename

i think it's just accounts that have no other verification. it's all very sinister. mobilising grot

JaDanketies

Yeah it's not blocked for me but I'm always on Google giving them all my data. I've already used my bank card with Google for services like AdWords, the Play Store and the defunct Google Voice. They're probably even smart enough to know whenever I've taken a photo of my passport.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 13, 2021, 01:06:09 AM
i think it's just accounts that have no other verification. it's all very sinister. mobilising grot
Yeah, I could watch it while logged in, but from an incognito window I got "sign in to verify you are a very mature person." But presumably if you do sign in you still have to verify your age somehow (or let them guess it), and since I'm signed up with Google Pay and Android and all manner of shit, they probably know not only my age but my medical history, dietary requirements, and where I'm going on my holidays (although I've been reading a lot about Glenrothes on TripAdvisor, so the joke is on them).

Barry Admin

What is all this shit with ID now? I'm trying to get the Covid vaccine but they want photographic ID as well. I don't have any! Can't even buy illegal weed online now without a fucking passport, and now I'm gonna need one to watch Apex Legends videos on YouTube too? Or is it only if there's tits and fanny and that? I remember when people wouldn't even use their names online, never mind uploading their passport so they can watch high round Zombies runs.

idunnosomename

you're not supposed to show any tits or fanny on youtube

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2802002?hl=en&ref_topic=9282679

this is why all major channels like RLM censor every single tit because they risk getting their channel struck. it's all very blurry what you can get away with because they also use a lot of tremendously violent clips. hence why i dont want to hand over my passport to a private media monolith thats so arbitrary in who it punishes and what for

Dusty Substance

It's been happening to me for a few months now. Weirdly it was when I tried to find the footage of bjork attacking that journalist at an airport that time and YouTube deemed it to be worthy of an age check. Only on laptop, mind. Could watch the bjork clip on my phone no problem.

Midas

You can circumnavigate this by using a privacy-respecting front-end alternative to YouTube such as Invidious. It has no Javascript dependency for playing videos, several interesting features (customizable default player options, audio-only mode, tools for managing feeds and subscriptions, etc.) and is useful for those that want to enjoy YouTube, sans Google.

Malcy

Really? Fuckin 'ell. Have they managed to circumvent ad blockers as well? Used it earlier in Opera and was swamped with ads.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Malcy on May 13, 2021, 07:23:13 PM
Really? Fuckin 'ell. Have they managed to circumvent ad blockers as well? Used it earlier in Opera and was swamped with ads.

I actually hadn't noticed until now the fact that I haven't seen any ads on YouTube via desktop browser in about two years (since I installed AdBlocker) but get 1 or 2 before most videos when I watch on my phone. I think I just assumed it didn't work blocking those kinds of ads.

Although I'm not against ads on YouTube since it's the only source of revenue for many.

olliebean

They've been rolling this out for a few months now. My housemate got it a while back, I got it quite recently. Although I've had the same YouTube account for 15 years, so they ought to have been able to work out that I'm old enough without an additional check.