Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:07:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Things that are NEVER funny.

Started by Jockice, May 13, 2021, 03:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An tSaoi

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 20, 2021, 09:26:02 AM
The spoof bits at the end of Radio 4 literary panel show The Write Stuff.

Oh god, just calling a radio show The Write Stuff... That show was like a motorway pile-up of deathly smugness, and the last round was the cadaveric spasm, four of the smuggest affordable cunts taking it in turns to imagine what Samuel Johnson would make of life in the mid-2000s, every single one of them dropping in a reference to ye Posh & Becks, the poor audience having to force quiet noises through their noses to avoid the embarrassment of silence. 17 series!?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: popcorn on May 20, 2021, 10:56:00 AM
When asked if someone plays any musical instruments: "I am a master of the triangle!!"
Unless you do play the triangle in an orchestra, which would be funny. Sadly, I don't think that's a real job (you would have to play a range of other percussion, like the gong.)

idunnosomename

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 20, 2021, 11:45:45 AM
Unless you do play the triangle in an orchestra, which would be funny. Sadly, I don't think that's a real job (you would have to play a range of other percussion, like the gong.)
I mean that's partly why the triangle trope joke is so unfunny, it demeans the role of percussionists through lazy ignorance.

on a related note, I suggest "I bet you're fun at parties", which is invariably said by a duller person than the person being accused of being dull.

popcorn

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 20, 2021, 12:27:57 PM
I mean that's partly why the triangle trope joke is so unfunny, it demeans the role of percussionists through lazy ignorance.

yep.

Quoteon a related note, I suggest "I bet you're fun at parties", which is invariably said by a duller person than the person being accused of being dull.

yep.

Jerzy Bondov

You're shouting at a [branded product], [name]

popcorn

I find basically any catchphrase or meme used to dismiss someone has zero credibility or power, and just makes the person using it sound incredibly dull and easily influenced. And smug - like "ha ha, THIS will please the followers!"

An tSaoi

Step 1 blah blah blah
Step 2 ????
Step 3 Profit

Maybe there are more steps, I don't know. It's shit.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 20, 2021, 12:40:01 PM

That reminds me of the Yorkshire Tea saga where Yorkshire Tea tweeted that at someone, which led to a massive pile-on on Twitter for the person they mentioned. I always felt that was pretty unpleasant and unprofessional behaviour by whoever did that at Yorkshire Tea, I assume they were trying to shift attention away from themselves (this was after Sunak posed with a bag of the stuff and people on Twitter got angry) but they must have known what would result.

Basically, avoid Yorkshire Tea.

idunnosomename

Quote from: An tSaoi on May 20, 2021, 01:01:58 PM
Step 1 blah blah blah
Step 2 ????
Step 3 Profit

it was funny the first time. twenty-two years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts

Cuellar

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 20, 2021, 12:40:01 PM

Similarly when, on twitter, someone will insert [name] into bit of observational comedy or something, along the lines of 'like, no, Becky/Jessica/Stacey/Arbuthnot, that's not how this works'

Can't find a specific example at the moment.

pigamus

"You should take more water with it!" to someone wearing a bandage.

chveik

Quote from: An tSaoi on May 20, 2021, 01:01:58 PM
Step 1 blah blah blah
Step 2 ????
Step 3 Profit

it's funny when it's done well. like almost everything really

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Cuellar on May 20, 2021, 01:26:23 PM
Similarly when, on twitter, someone will insert [name] into bit of observational comedy or something, along the lines of 'like, no, Becky/Jessica/Stacey/Arbuthnot, that's not how this works'

Can't find a specific example at the moment.

John Oliver used to do that an awful lot on his HBO show. He may still do, i haven't seen it for years.

turnstyle

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: turnstyle on May 20, 2021, 03:24:06 PM
'He's behind me, isn't he?'
This is another one where even the subversion ("No he's in front of you") has become a cliche.

Dayraven

Quoteit was funny the first time.
Applies to a lot of what's been mentioned.

thenoise

Quote from: pigamus on May 20, 2021, 01:35:04 PM

I don't get it.

Jockice

Quote from: pigamus on May 20, 2021, 01:35:04 PM

'You need to slow down/is there a speed limit for that thing?/beep beep/wish i had one of them, I could do with a rest/hope you've got your seatbelt on' to someone wearing a wheelchair,

pigamus

Captain Z

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 20, 2021, 04:04:18 PM
This is another one where even the subversion ("No he's in front of you") has become a cliche.

Oh man, I'm laughing just thinking about the first time I saw that subversion in Futurama.

MrMrs

referring to your partner as MRS *INSERT FORUM NAME*

Icehaven

Quote from: MrMrs on May 20, 2021, 06:09:41 PM

Fair enough to not like it but don't think that's ever supposed to have been funny, it's just a way of referring to them.

Kankurette

Quote from: popcorn on May 20, 2021, 10:56:00 AM
When asked if someone plays any musical instruments: "I am a master of the triangle!!"
Likewise, claiming 'banter' is a language, as in 'I am fluent in banter'.

And I actually did play the triangle in the school orchestra...along with the cymbal and various other bits and bobs.

non capisco

Quote from: Kankurette on May 20, 2021, 06:37:15 PM
Likewise, claiming 'banter' is a language, as in 'I am fluent in banter'.

'Fluent in sarcasm' is one I used to see on dating sites. Think I'll give you a swerve then, you sound like a nightmare.

neveragain

Quote from: MrMrs on May 20, 2021, 06:09:41 PM

I can see how it wouldn't work in your case.

jobotic

Ha.

One customer - two people waiting to serve them. "Are you going to fight over me?"

Kankurette

Quote from: non capisco on May 20, 2021, 07:48:56 PM
'Fluent in sarcasm' is one I used to see on dating sites. Think I'll give you a swerve then, you sound like a nightmare.
Yeah, being fluent in sarcasm or snark is an arsehole marker.

AsparagusTrevor

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Jockice on May 15, 2021, 09:45:25 AM
Where else should I put them. Down the toilet?

When I was about 2 or 3 I put my Gran's collection of pot dogs down the toilet.  When I was caught I ran extra fast to put the last one down, her favourite - a little Scottie dog (which I have on the mantelpiece right now), and I was observed to be muttering the words "down the toilet... down the toilet..." under my breath.  I didn't flush it and they were all in there in a big pyramid of pot dogs, so were all retrieved unbroken.