Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:39:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things that are NEVER funny.

Started by Jockice, May 13, 2021, 03:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 20, 2021, 12:27:57 PM
I mean that's partly why the triangle trope joke is so unfunny, it demeans the role of percussionists through lazy ignorance.

A variant of the drummer jokes, then.

Apparently drummer jokes had roots in musician's union stuff, supposedly drummers were merely "affiliated" but not actually musicians hence "What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians? A drummer!"

Blue Jam

What about viola jokes?

https://www.mit.edu/~jcb/jokes/viola.html

Seems like the violist is essentially the drummer of a string quartet.

Some of these sound a lot like lawyer jokes too, but lawyers are acceptable targets.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 18, 2021, 09:25:38 PM
Thanks to the Babelfish I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I may be wrong though.

The closest you get is Ford & Zaphod singing the Betelgeusian death anthem.

Quote from: Cuellar on May 20, 2021, 01:26:23 PM
Similarly when, on twitter, someone will insert [name] into bit of observational comedy or something, along the lines of 'like, no, Becky/Jessica/Stacey/Arbuthnot, that's not how this works'

Can't find a specific example at the moment.

Surely 'Karen' is the biggest example of this?

Gulftastic

'I see what you did there/did you see what I did there?'

Cuellar

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 21, 2021, 01:26:31 AM
Surely 'Karen' is the biggest example of this?

It is, but that's sort of its own thing. I'm thinking of random names, Bethany, Chloe, etc. I wish I could find a good example, it seems like it's all over twitter but now I look for it I can't find one tweet. I'll keep my eyes open.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Cuellar on May 21, 2021, 11:06:45 AM
It is, but that's sort of its own thing. I'm thinking of random names, Bethany, Chloe, etc. I wish I could find a good example, it seems like it's all over twitter but now I look for it I can't find one tweet. I'll keep my eyes open.

I know what you mean by this. "No, vaccines don't cause autism, Linda", "No, being a Scorpio does not make you deep and mysterious, it just makes you stupid, Carol". Always women's names as well, which is a bit rich when it comes to antivaxx stuff, given that the whole antivaxx movement was kicked off by a man.

Blue Jam

gilbertharding

Mentioning the war (to be precise, 'mentioning the war').

Actually, that was funny precisely once, on 24 October 1975 so shouldn't be in this thread.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 21, 2021, 10:53:20 AM
'I see what you did there/did you see what I did there?'

It's the 'Boom-boom' of the 21st century.

Cuellar

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 21, 2021, 11:35:15 AM
I know what you mean by this. "No, vaccines don't cause autism, Linda", "No, being a Scorpio does not make you deep and mysterious, it just makes you stupid, Carol". Always women's names as well, which is a bit rich when it comes to antivaxx stuff, given that the whole antivaxx movement was kicked off by a man.

Yeah that's the stuff. 'Linda' is a good example, sure I've seen that in the wild.

Really gets on my arse for some reason.

Blue Jam

It always seems to be names common among middle-aged women too, and for things like antivaxx, multi-level marketing, astrology- all things more popular with women. It's never "No, aliens didn't put an anal probe in you, Chuck" or "No, chemtrails aren't real, Brad" or "No, Antifa are not the real fascists, Steve".

I used to see this on Reddit a lot, unsurprisingly.

Cuellar

Yeah I was trying to find an example on r/whitepeopletwitter as I felt it was exactly the sort of shit that would be all over that, but came up empty handed

Magnum Valentino

Did anyone say the appropriation of hip hop culture by people who sit comfortably outside its expected parameters?

'down with the kids' seems to be phrase they ALWAYS use. Crossing arms in there for good measure.

That's the worst one. Never funny.

easytarget

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on May 20, 2021, 11:27:17 AM
\taking it in turns to imagine what Samuel Johnson would make of life in the mid-2000s
Misread that as Samuel (L) Jackson and imagined almost the same thing (replace 'ye' with 'motherfucker' and you're there).

easytarget

Quote from: Cuellar on May 21, 2021, 11:06:45 AM
It is, but that's sort of its own thing.
That's gone in it's own direction now, for about 20 minutes 2  years ago it was a neat way to refer to a specific type of entitled "I'd like to speak to the manager and the police and the police's manager", now it's just used by blokes when they disagree with any woman.
Ah well.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 21, 2021, 09:31:35 PM
Did anyone say the appropriation of hip hop culture by people who sit comfortably outside its expected parameters?

'down with the kids' seems to be phrase they ALWAYS use. Crossing arms in there for good measure.

Or the closely related "old person does something only young people normally do e.g. dance, swear, wear young people's clothes, et-fucking-cetera"

Also see "CGI characters dancing during the closing credits"

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Cuellar on May 20, 2021, 01:26:23 PM
Similarly when, on twitter, someone will insert [name] into bit of observational comedy or something, along the lines of 'like, no, Becky/Jessica/Stacey/Arbuthnot, that's not how this works'

Can't find a specific example at the moment.

Anyone who puts your fucking name in their mouth in a statement like that is a completely dirtfilth shitcunt. Just the worst fucking shame behavior. Fucking despise cunts that do that fucking tripe. Gaslighting wankers.

H-O-W-L

Anyone who fucking uses your name as punctuation/a punchline is a dick and I hope their fucking arse falls out and they fall into their own fallen arse going "argh nooo my aaaarse!" like the arsehole they are.

thenoise

Yeah - despite there being a generation of middle aged (plus) people who grew up with hip hop now. Can you imagine comedians in the 80s using rock and roll as a shorthand for impenetrable young people's subculture?

JarrowMonkey

Saying 'the inter web' or 'I'm not edumacted', a cunts trick

Sebastian Cobb

I imagine everyone's seen 'The Stutter Rap' by now mate, and yes it definitely wasn't funny.

Kankurette

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 22, 2021, 01:17:48 PM
Anyone who fucking uses your name as punctuation/a punchline is a dick and I hope their fucking arse falls out and they fall into their own fallen arse going "argh nooo my aaaarse!" like the arsehole they are.
It makes me glad my name is a fairly rare one (in the UK anyway).

SpiderChrist

The crying with laughter emoji makes me irrationally angry. Bit like this, I suppose 😡

Magnum Valentino

Not really meant to be funny though is it.

If anything, emojis are invaluable for helping colour language that's too easy to misinterpret in texts and I welcome them unreservedly.

SpiderChrist

I guess not. Their use, however, always seems to be in the context of something that isn't that funny and I really don't know where I'm going with this fuck it post

Chedney Honks

I really enjoy using it insincerely or to mock the people who would laugh at the previous statement, but I especially enjoy using it fatalistically. On some level it's a reclamation, on another it's a shortcut to exasperation.

😂😂😂

phantom_power

The laugh cry emoji is very big among the right wingers and boot lickers on Twitter etc. He who should not be named used it a lot

Sebastian Cobb

emoji's are too cutesy and infantile, this is a FACT.