Author Topic: Things that are NEVER funny.  (Read 22467 times)

gilbertharding

• Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin'
Re: Things that are NEVER funny.
« Reply #330 on: June 14, 2021, 10:41:57 PM »
"There's some words I never expected to say!"

« Reply #331 on: June 16, 2021, 10:45:51 AM »
Changing the name of a famous person/company very slightly which for some reason is supposed to be funny. I've seen this several times and the first example I can think of off the top of my head is "Mapple" and "Steve Mobbs" from that episode in the Simpsons thread.

AsparagusTrevor

• I'm fine, thank you.
« Reply #332 on: June 16, 2021, 12:53:37 PM »
Changing the name of a famous person/company very slightly which for some reason is supposed to be funny. I've seen this several times and the first example I can think of off the top of my head is "Mapple" and "Steve Mobbs" from that episode in the Simpsons thread.

Especially when they could use 'Crapple' and 'Steve Jobbies'

Captain Z

• Die Hard or Die Tryin'
« Reply #333 on: June 16, 2021, 01:10:23 PM »
"Cuke" instead of Coke in the IT Crowd.

« Reply #334 on: June 16, 2021, 01:11:28 PM »
It happens a lot in anime but I always thought it was for copyright purposes. Like Kyouko from Madoka Magica eating a Pocky lookalike called Rocky.

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
« Reply #335 on: June 16, 2021, 02:02:12 PM »
Have we had 'two friends fall out and it's portrayed like a breakup / divorce'? I always find it really cringey. Worst example is IAP2, a really broad sitcommy joke in a show that's meant to be a lot more realistic.

AsparagusTrevor

• I'm fine, thank you.
« Reply #336 on: June 16, 2021, 02:06:43 PM »
That situation was funny in 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' though

« Reply #337 on: June 16, 2021, 02:35:38 PM »
It happens a lot in anime but I always thought it was for copyright purposes.
There’s less protection for parody or reference in Japan, with either getting permission or changing/blanking out names being the usual dodges. There was a show recently that got an episode pulled for going outside those lines.

For the US examples, I blame MAD Magazine for teaching generations that using any word that sounds kind of like the name in the original is good parody.

icehaven

• WORLD'S BIGGEST RIP OFF: $100 PER PERSON
« Reply #338 on: June 16, 2021, 02:51:11 PM »
Have we had 'two friends fall out and it's portrayed like a breakup / divorce'? I always find it really cringey. Worst example is IAP2, a really broad sitcommy joke in a show that's meant to be a lot more realistic.

It's definitely come up in a few sitcom clichés/film clichés threads. I like Friends but I think they did it about 400 times.

« Reply #339 on: June 17, 2021, 05:14:51 PM »
A montage in a comedy film is never funny

« Reply #340 on: June 17, 2021, 05:20:05 PM »
A montage in a comedy film is never funny

The Herman's Hermits scene in The Naked Gun calls bullshit on that.

« Reply #341 on: June 17, 2021, 06:40:21 PM »
I was thinking more Ted 2.

The Mollusk

• spirit ditties of no tone
« Reply #342 on: June 17, 2021, 07:00:06 PM »
That situation was funny in 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' though

IASIP, for a startlingly long time, had the incredible ability to turn basic story ideas and comedy tropes into riotous and horrific comedy gold.

« Reply #343 on: June 18, 2021, 09:56:23 PM »
Nick/Dan Schneider[1] have a wide range of Pear products, but a pear shaped phone is funnier than Mapple, and it's treated as avoiding copyright infringement rather than jokes.
 1. perv

markburgle

• A flavourless mush I call Rootmarm
« Reply #344 on: June 18, 2021, 11:08:56 PM »
Bunch of characters all laugh at a joke except one who doesn't get it, then that character awkwardly joins in with loud OTT fake laughter, confusion never leaving their eyes.

Just saw that one in a Breaking Bad rewatch, of all things.

Blue Jam

• YOU COULDN'T MANAGE A HAM SANDWICH
« Reply #345 on: June 19, 2021, 09:10:27 AM »
Bunch of characters all laugh at a joke except one who doesn't get it, then that character awkwardly joins in with loud OTT fake laughter, confusion never leaving their eyes.

Just saw that one in a Breaking Bad rewatch, of all things.

I've just finished a Breaking Bad rewatch and must have missed that, which bit do you mean?

The only thing examples of that trope I can think of are in Father Ted, where Ted doesn't understand the novellist's literary jokes but laughs at them because he fancies her, and House of Fools where Rachel is laughing at Erik's jokes for the same reason (and neither of them actually has a sense of humour or understands jokes). I like both.

« Reply #346 on: June 19, 2021, 09:30:04 AM »
Cheers did one when Sam had crashed his boat into an unknown reef and they'd named it after him 'No Brains Atoll'. Carla, Norm etc all laugh but Woody is confused for a moment then joins in, pretending to understand.

« Reply #347 on: June 19, 2021, 09:56:27 AM »
I don't think I've ever heard this association. I've always just seen it as something that very normal people use.

Normal people use the crying-with-laughter emoji in response to a joke or a funny comment, but right-wing griefers use it when people disagree with them on the internet, and use it as a form of a rebuttal.

Brundle-Fly

• "Why don't you do something to help me?"
« Reply #348 on: June 19, 2021, 04:30:53 PM »
Saying 'NEWSFLASH" before pointing out somebody's ignorance of something.

icehaven

• WORLD'S BIGGEST RIP OFF: $100 PER PERSON
« Reply #349 on: June 19, 2021, 04:53:31 PM »
right-wing griefers use it when people disagree with them on the internet, and use it as a form of a rebuttal.

I do find that odd. It also presumes whoever it's directed at will know this and not just think they've either got a strange sense of humour or they're replying to the wrong comment.

markburgle

• A flavourless mush I call Rootmarm
« Reply #350 on: June 19, 2021, 05:13:31 PM »
I've just finished a Breaking Bad rewatch and must have missed that, which bit do you mean?

The only thing examples of that trope I can think of are in Father Ted, where Ted doesn't understand the novellist's literary jokes but laughs at them because he fancies her, and House of Fools where Rachel is laughing at Erik's jokes for the same reason (and neither of them actually has a sense of humour or understands jokes). I like both.

It's a slightly different example tbf, when Hank has been sent to El Paso and all his new colleagues are being dicks. They freeze him out of the conversation switching to Spanish and sharing some joke - cue big fake laugh from Hank. It struck me as an odd, sitcommy moment for that kind of show

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
  • MAKE ROOM FOR THE MUSHROOMS
« Reply #351 on: June 19, 2021, 06:25:40 PM »

Yes, or "Memo to...", which is often used in Guardian columns.

« Reply #352 on: June 19, 2021, 08:30:46 PM »
Chandler having to remind Joey of stuff that he is an actor he has to go to work and he should be at the parade gets tedious.

Cuellar

• I'm over here
« Reply #353 on: June 19, 2021, 08:37:10 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zoQfqPnMA8

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #354 on: June 20, 2021, 01:18:28 AM »
Normal people use the crying-with-laughter emoji in response to a joke or a funny comment, but right-wing griefers use it when people disagree with them on the internet, and use it as a form of a rebuttal.

This makes sense - in my mind the logical leap is that right-wing griefers are extremely normal (in terms of: mundane, unexceptional) people who are trying to express that they are finding something funny/mocking it. So this checks out.

« Reply #355 on: June 25, 2021, 01:17:35 PM »
"I'm a black belt in origami/egg foo young/anything that sounds vaguely like an Asian martial art"

« Reply #356 on: June 25, 2021, 01:36:55 PM »
"I'm a black belt in origami/egg foo young/anything that sounds vaguely like an Asian martial art"

I still chuckle at the 'cream of sum yung gi' gag in Wayne's World

non capisco

• Ooh hark at him, he thinks he's DAVID ESSEX!
    • https://twitter.com/IsThisRoss
« Reply #357 on: June 25, 2021, 01:44:04 PM »

'You better not mess with me, I'm a black belt in origami' was absolutely manadatory for any mainstream 1970s/80s sitcom, along with any variation on this one.

"Have you got anything by The Kinks?"
"The who?"
"No, I don't like The Who".

« Reply #358 on: June 25, 2021, 02:04:02 PM »
I remember a scene in Jonny Bravo where he showed the camera a list of the martial arts he was an expert in, and karaoke was at the bottom of the list, and I found it funny. I guess it works on another level with Jonny Bravo, because of his characterisation.

« Reply #359 on: June 25, 2021, 02:36:13 PM »
I still chuckle at the 'cream of sum yung gi' gag in Wayne's World

Yeah me too.

I probably laughed heartily the first time I heard the "black belt in.." gag but it just got overused in sitcoms as non capisco mentions. Like, as soon as martial arts are even mentioned and you see a character puff out their chest, you know what's coming.

Tags: