Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:57:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Smell of Reeves & Mortimer...

Started by chrispmartha, May 13, 2021, 07:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badaids

Quote from: poodlefaker on May 20, 2021, 01:55:09 PM
I've been watching the Eric Andre Show on the Channel 4 player recently, and it's one of the few comedy shows since Vic n Bob that captures their energy and mood. I doubt EA has ever seen V+B, but it really reminds me of Smell and BNO. Genuinely creative, surprising and makes me bark with laughter.

It's true that Eric Andre Shiw  captures that spirit - I really like the dementedness of that show. Tim and Eric have it too.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: non capisco on May 18, 2021, 08:26:08 AM
I'm leaning towards a special since I think it definitely was on broadcast TV. Maybe some kind of 90s 'Christmas Night With The Stars' equivalent?

They was some sort of weird theme night pos christmas thing (think before series 2 of Smell)
They did some sort of spoof on Badgerwatch (pos recurring sketches with of clips of other people) with a total lack of animals and Bob discovering Vic (probably that way round) urinating in the snow and being annoyed/disappointed with him.

Wasn't really aware of them yet (outside Vic & The Wonderstuff doing Dizzy), not sure I even knew who I was watching, just turned on part of the show randomly and found it confusing & gross + a bit 'how dare they mock Badgerwatch, I like Badgerwatch'.

Loved series two of Smell when that happened though found bits of it a bit too wierd/grotesque.

Some of the odder bits like that Lloyd Grossman sometimes feel when I'm remembering them like their really from a vague surreal dream not something actually broadcast (eta: like was that moment real or did I imagine it)

Keep getting confused between their Masterchef sketch and the Harry Enfield Wane & Waynetta Slob one (was that for Comic Relief?) - both felt degrees of really strange and disturbing. Which one had the poached egg as baby jesus and the fork going in the egg was killing Jesus, and which one had the chocolated mouse?

jobotic

"No sacrifice is too great for Jeeesus" was R&M

DrGreggles

jenna appleseed

Quote from: jobotic on May 20, 2021, 10:26:17 PM

Thought it was, thanks.

jobotic

I rather think it is Sir!!

A load of us use the word "cakey" to this day to describe something a bit shit or rum, or someone as a cake if they are the same. Originates from the "cake like a shoe" man Bob plays.

jenna appleseed

Looks like the show I was thinking about was probably

"Fry and Laurie Host a Christmas Night with the Stars
BBC Two England, 27 December 1994 21.00

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/32aca22e5e994db88c2588726f668bec

Tonight Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie are joined by a galaxy of stars for a feast of BBC2 comedy and music. Guests include comedians Reeves and Mortimer, performers from The Fast Show, Alan Partridge, Rab C Nesbitt, the cast of The Real McCoy, Alexei Sayle, Ronnie Corbett and singer Sandie Shaw.
Archive footage from Christmas Nights of old includes Tony Hancock, Dick Emery, Benny Hill, Kathy Kirby, Jack Warner, David Nixon, Charlie Drake, Billy Cotton, the Toppers and many more."

Don't remember any of the rest of this, prob tuned in during R&m and turned of in disgust/fear I'd get caught watching it by my gran. (Just realised it would've been the day before my granddad died. He'd been rushed to the hospital the previous day, partway through an episode of Aunties Bloomers. eta: that sounds totally like a Cab joke but I swear that and my previous real life deso anecdote of the family photo from that Christmas including him  wearing a Santa Hat while looking like he'd already died and somebody had propped him up and plonked the hat on his head, genuinely happened.)

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Don't send me back to t'dark place again

willy crossit

"i had to drop the wedge back at the lockaaaaaap"

checkoutgirl

Quote from: jobotic on May 20, 2021, 10:32:23 PM
A load of us use the word "cakey" to this day to describe something a bit shit or rum, or someone as a cake if they are the same. Originates from the "cake like a shoe" man Bob plays.

Charlie Chuck uses that word as well. He might call someone a cakey bleeder. I just assumed it was either a northern term or something Chuck made up himself.

PaulTMA

Quote from: jobotic on May 20, 2021, 10:26:17 PM

That character does not get enough acclaim for nodding her head like a good Christian whenever she says "Jeeeeesus"

Leej88

I miss Vic and Bob they were so funny in the '90s.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Leej88 on May 31, 2021, 07:25:06 PM
I miss Vic and Bob they were so funny in the '90s.

and they continue to be so

Pink Gregory

Quote from: willy crossit on May 21, 2021, 08:52:51 PM

"i had to drop the wedge back at the lockaaaaaap"

thaaaasands and thaaaasands of bladdy tulips!

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 14, 2021, 09:07:05 AMI have the VHS edits if anyone wants them.

Is this offer still open? I would absolutely love to see the original VHS editions. There are so many little moments I miss (used to have the VHS tapes back in the 90s but made the mistake of getting rid when I got the DVD. Oh how foolish I was!)

I absolutely adore "Smell of". For me, it's pinnacle R&M. The silliness, the "randomness" (before that word became over-used), and most of all, I love how good-natured it is. Vic and Bob look like they are having a genuine blast making it. They have so much energy.

Watching clips of this show has got me out of a depressed state more than once.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: TrappedInMyFlat on October 14, 2022, 01:08:21 AMIs this offer still open?

Sure! Give me a nudge if you haven't had a PM back from me by tomorrow evening in case I've forgotten.

You're very kind. I am grateful, thank you.

(P.s.
The big boys are in the butchers).

grainger

Yeah, the VHS versions were much better. From the little extra bit at the top, talking over the BBC logo, to the extended sketches, I really miss these bits from the DVD - it always feels incomplete when I watch it. It's a real shame that the DVD didn't include these extended editions.

I'm also of the opinion that Smell series 1 was the peak of Reeves and Mortimer's output, but to be fair it caught me at the right time, and it was the first things of theirs  really got into. I found series 2 to be a big dissapointment - it felt more joke-based, and the filmed insers were a bit broader. There's still some brilliant material post Smell series 1 (a particular favourite is the guys trying to open car doors) but 1 is the sweet spot for me.

Cold Meat Platter

Lovely slab o dark

No! I was thinking of copying AND hiring mine out!

Catalogue Trousers

Which episode opens with the 'Cool, Cool Air' song and dance? I really love that one! And does anyone know where I can find a copy?