Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:17:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This is brilliant (go Glasgow)

Started by jobotic, May 13, 2021, 10:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Mister Six

brat-sampson

Here's an article:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/13/glasgow-residents-surround-and-block-immigration-van-from-leaving-street

But essentially UK Immigration enforcement launched a dawn raid on an immigrant household in Glasgow (Nicola Sturgeon's constituency even) during Eid, and Glasgow told them to fuck the fuck off, eventually freeing the two men with the help of a human rights lawyer and sending a strong message to the UK home office that Glasgow (Scotland?) wants no part in their dehumanising xenophobic anti-immigrant crusade.

Jumblegraws

Really uplifting watching it grow from a few of their neighbours first thing to the crowds in the evening. Worth the Twitter licence fee.

I know he's had no credibility for years, but I never thought George Galloway would stoop to government snitching (as if Downing Street weren't fully aware of what was going on). Does he just really fancy Priti Patel?

greencalx

Yes this is great. I suspect like many people of my generation who grew up south of the border, I was constantly informed in my youth that Glasgow was full of savages and urban decay. It transpires it might in fact be the most civilised city on the island.

Spotting an immigration van on the walk to school the other morning. Very weird - an unmarked van pulled up with two people dressed in a very similar way to police officers inside it. My first thought was "Why are uniformed police driving an unmarked van?" and it crossed my mind to challenge it. On the way back there was a second van that indicated that it was immigration enforcement. Still curious as to why immigration officials feel the need to impersonate police officers though.

mobias

Amazing footage from Glasgow yesterday. I wouldn't really expect anything less from the city, and as someone from Edinburgh I say that through gritted teeth.

Glasgow is home to everyone's favourite folk hero John Smeaton

Kankurette

Owned.

Galloway being classy as ever, I see.

Jerzy Bondov

What a lovely thing, tinged with the sadness of knowing it wouldn't happen in fucking horrible old England

Buelligan

Nevertheless, it does fill the heart with hope.  You can leave England, it's harder to leave humanity.

madhair60

Unfortunately it has since transpired that the people in the van were not immigrants, but paedophiles :/

phantom_power

Quote from: Jumblegraws on May 14, 2021, 07:37:34 AM
Really uplifting watching it grow from a few of their neighbours first thing to the crowds in the evening. Worth the Twitter licence fee.

I know he's had no credibility for years, but I never thought George Galloway would stoop to government snitching (as if Downing Street weren't fully aware of what was going on). Does he just really fancy Priti Patel?

That tweet might have been good if it had ended "Fuck Yeah!"

Dr Trouser

I do love my fellow (adopted) Glaswegians as there's always these sort of things happening, and in pre covid days I'd regularly see people being generous and caring to others (and not filming it for tiktok or whatever, just doing it because it's right and they've been bought up this way).

However the usual human rights bottom feeders have crawled out the woodwork to earn a few bob on the back of this. Aamer Anwar was grifting on BBC Scotland whining that the HO chose the most holiest of days for muslims to do this on. The two in the van were Sikhs.

Can't we deport all the lawyers please?

badaids

That clip is pretty amazing, bought my wife to the verge of tears. Well done Glasgow, showing us how it should be done.

phantom_power

It is one of those Twitter shibboleths as well that show who is a boot-licking cunt when they say that "actually those people were breaking the law"

Zetetic

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 14, 2021, 09:29:37 AM
What a lovely thing, tinged with the sadness of knowing it wouldn't happen in fucking horrible old England
There are "anti raids" organisations across much of the UK - you can help.
https://twitter.com/AntiRaids/status/1392956327736053760

You might also consider joining a broader community organising group or renters' union like https://www.acorntheunion.org.uk/ .

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Dr Trouser on May 14, 2021, 10:12:50 AM
However the usual human rights bottom feeders have crawled out the woodwork to earn a few bob on the back of this. Aamer Anwar was grifting on BBC Scotland whining that the HO chose the most holiest of days for muslims to do this on. The two in the van were Sikhs.

Can't we deport all the lawyers please?
I don't think the religion of the refugees renders the point without merit. The Home Office dawn raiding an area with a high percentage of Muslim immigrant families on Eid might have been a coincidence, but it's still inflammatory and on brand for the hostile environment.

Blinder Data

It gladdens the heart to see the power of the people get the results they wanted. Hopefully the guys in the van don't have much more trouble down the line.

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 14, 2021, 09:29:37 AM

As Zetetic has pointed out, I'm sure community responses like this already happen in Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol, etc. This one sticks out because it looked much more organic.

They couldn't have chosen a more perfect neighbourhood for this raid than Pollokshields: most its residents tend be South Asian families or lefty liberal arty types.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteHowever the usual human rights bottom feeders

I hate human rights so much I dislike people who are professionally employed to champion them

madhair60

Bronzy

Quote from: madhair60 on May 14, 2021, 09:48:57 AM
Unfortunately it has since transpired that the people in the van were not immigrants, but paedophiles :/

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1Q-U2THOF00

Kankurette

It can happen in England. Not everyone here is a Tory.

idunnosomename

Somewhere like Liverpool maybe. In Surrey they'd crowd surf them all the way to the police station.

Kankurette

Some Nazi group tried to demonstrate in Liverpool and got chased by a horde of Scousers and had to hide in a luggage lock-up. It was hilarious.

idunnosomename

i chose surrey before I saw this floating about

Cuellar

I would walk out into the street and very publicly wipe my shitty arse on that letter

Jerzy Bondov

Furthermore that house absolutely is not 'marvellous looking', look at those horrible columns

Blue Jam

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 14, 2021, 05:50:55 PM
I <3 Scotland

https://youtu.be/JwLaDzKFiBY
I was there when that clown was screaming Market Street into oblivion. In fact, I can actually be seen in that video.