Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:00:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chav Dickheads

Started by Adina Loki, July 22, 2005, 06:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Whug Baspin on June 25, 2008, 10:33:44 AM
This guy sounds like a fucking idiot, but in the initial post you introduced him as 'Tory Boy' which is just kind of shorthand for the kind of dick he was, isn't chav just another kind of shorthand for the kind of anti social person he's trying to describe? Sorry not trying to say you're wrong to hate him, just wondered why no-one picked it up.

I know hoverdonkey's replied up there, but I would have throught Chav, to the average person on the street is a far more negative term and stereotype than Tory Boy.

Whug Baspin

Yeah you're right, infact I'm sure a lot of 'Tory Boys' are quite proud of the name. I was just being argumentative for the sake of it really, sorry. I remember an interview with jimmy Carr where he argued that we require this kind of shorthand for types of people to create nice quick images in the mind when telling jokes. I'm not convinced though as it came across like an excuse for lazyness rather than required language.

Quote from: Whug Baspin on June 25, 2008, 01:28:42 PM
Yeah you're right, infact I'm sure a lot of 'Tory Boys' are quite proud of the name. I was just being argumentative for the sake of it really, sorry. I remember an interview with jimmy Carr where he argued that we require this kind of shorthand for types of people to create nice quick images in the mind when telling jokes. I'm not convinced though as it came across like an excuse for lazyness rather than required language.

I'm fairly sure there are 'chavs' who are proud of the name too.  I guess the other thing is the relative positions of the groups within society, what with Tory Boys tending to be towards the top whereas 'chavs' are overwhelmingly likely to come from the underclass.  I think that using the word 'chav' seems to serve a dual purpose by keeping these people in their place.

That Jimmy Carr thing sounds like it is a corollary of Woody Allen's comments about stereotypes (the good thing about them is that they save time).

Godzilla Bankrolls

Ah, Jimmy Carr - who was extremely moneyed and privileged even before he turned to a career in comedy - choosing to look down on people using stereotypes rather than making any jabs at people in power. He's so funny!

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: hoverdonkey on June 25, 2008, 01:03:29 PM
Fair point with regards to my use of a label. However, he was using chav to describe poor people and those who wear certain clothes and not neccessarily those of an anti-social persuasion.

I don't really get the connection between being poor and wearing expensive Burberry gear/gold chains/Tommy Hilfiger tracksuits/expensive trainers. Back in my day poor kids wore half mast drainpipe trousers and tatty scuffed shoes.

dgh

The clothing aspect of it (Berghaus jackets, Rockport boots, Burberry, etc.) all stems from their wanting to prove to others how 'bling' they are.

Their 'Bling-Guide' is simply Kays catalogue, just check out all the most expensive items in there: for shoes it's usually those fuck-ugly Rockport boots, for jackets it's Berghaus, and the reason that they can afford them is that they pay it all off at a couple of quid a week and still get to say that they are wearing a 250 quid-plus coat.

This is the reason why they all seem to dress the same too, they all shop from the same catalogue selection.

Godzilla Bankrolls

El Unicornio, mang

Someone needs to give them a lesson in style, methinks. Then maybe people wouldn't point and laugh at them.