Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:01:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

MySQL on Mac

Started by Cuellar, May 14, 2021, 09:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

I once had MySQL installed on this mac but I deleted it ages ago, but now I've found a process, mysqld, being run by user _mysql and using around 350MB of memory and I can't stop it. Can't force quit it at all. I've tried to kill it using the process ID but it says it's 'not permitted'.

The path is /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld, but the 'mysql' user doesn't exist.

It's not a HUGE issue but it IS annoying, and I want it to stop. NOW. Any help appreciated.

Cuellar

Oh I've just managed to 'force quit' it.

greencalx

Well done but there is the question of how, if you deleted it, why it's still there and, presumably, getting launched on boot. Where did you install it from? Also, if you reboot. Does it come back again?

Cuellar

I forget where I installed it from to be honest, it was ages ago, but probably from mysql.com. I'll try rebooting later on and see what happens.

When I search the hd for 'mysql' I get a load of stuff in various Python folders.

evilcommiedictator

Also possibly other software you've installed runs a version of MySQL for it's own purposes? I'm not sure how best to find out what is running it, I don't think OSX has a version of Windows RegEdit :)

greencalx

You don't want to go randomly deleting everything with mySQL in its name!

If you installed it with an official mysql.com dmg, then it may have installed a preference pane alongside. If that's the case, you may be in luck - go into System Preferences, activate the mySQL preference pane and there should be an option to stop the server and maybe even nuke the install in there.

If you don't and the process is relaunched at boot time, then we will need to locate the launchd config file that is responsible for that. Maybe that already gives you enough to go on, but I can provide further info if required. (I am assuming you're happy to guddle around in the Terminal).

greencalx

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on May 17, 2021, 02:03:02 PM
Also possibly other software you've installed runs a version of MySQL for it's own purposes? I'm not sure how best to find out what is running it, I don't think OSX has a version of Windows RegEdit :)

Activity Monitor can tell you what launched a particular process: my money is on launchd.

Cuellar

Quote from: greencalx on May 17, 2021, 07:44:20 PM
You don't want to go randomly deleting everything with mySQL in its name!

If you installed it with an official mysql.com dmg, then it may have installed a preference pane alongside. If that's the case, you may be in luck - go into System Preferences, activate the mySQL preference pane and there should be an option to stop the server and maybe even nuke the install in there.

If you don't and the process is relaunched at boot time, then we will need to locate the launchd config file that is responsible for that. Maybe that already gives you enough to go on, but I can provide further info if required. (I am assuming you're happy to guddle around in the Terminal).

Yeah I think there was a preference pane thing, but when I uninstalled mySQL it got rid of that. Just rebooting the thing now...

Cuellar

Doesn't seem to have started again. Storm in a teacup. Thanks for all help but that was a massive waste of everyone's time wasn't it

greencalx

Excellent, glad to hear it!

Not a waste of time at all.