Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:17:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

❤️ Thank you ❤️

Started by Barry Admin, May 15, 2021, 01:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: Small Potatoes on May 15, 2021, 01:53:38 PM
Cheers, Blods - done! I hope you can all agree it was worth the wait for my imaginative choice of image.

Rather too provocative if you ask me.

Oh praise the Lord our Admin
Oh praise his kindly ways
Some like to call him 'Badmin'
I wonder what that says...

He's vigilant and sharp
And seemingly quite fair
But can he play the harp?
And does he wash his hair?

I hope he will not ban me
For this here little jest
I've found this place quite handy
To get things off my chest

Oh praise the Lord our Admin
Oh praise his kindly ways
Some like to call him 'Badmin'
I know now what that says...[nb]that he is liked enough to be given an affectionate nickname; not that he is a bad admin; or a prolific badminton shark[/nb][nb]yeah it's a poem with a footnote - so what?[/nb][nb]two now[/nb]

Consignia

I'm a lurker mostly, but yeah lurve this place like Gregg Wallace lurves buttery food.

Brundle-Fly

My girlfriend once said to a friend, "He's always on this blue site." Wasn't a good look. Then again, I don't really engage in Facebook as I prefer the company of strangers. I'll leave the cash on the bedside.

Keep up the sterling work, Barry. Thank you.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Blumf on May 15, 2021, 10:21:46 AM
We all know that it can be an arse ache dealing with some of the drama in this place, so it's great to see Barry still getting joy out of it all.

Thaaaaanks, and thanks for all the nice comments (and poem!) everyone :-D I wasn't fishing, I just think I don't thank you lot enough for all the ways you support the site, and it really does mean a lot to me that you enjoy it and turn up every day to chat away.  I get a bit embarrassed to say "ooh it's the sites birthday today" when it is, so stuff like that tends to pass without comment.

I haven't seen the Inside No 9 thing yet, I'm gonna watch it with my Mum :-) 

When I said CaB is a "text-heavy site", I mean I love that there's still so much focus on the written word. I love to read more than just about anything else in the world - my Granny told me off as a kid when she spotted me reading the books I'd just got from the Library while walking home :-) - and so I love that I can still come on here and read, read, read. I don't really have anything against the huge upsurge in reaction GIFs and memes and such over the past years, but I don't think it would add anything to CaB if every other amusing post was followed by that gif of a woman in a green t-shirt spitting out her tea. So I like that CaB feels kind of distinct there.

I thought a lot about adding karma again of late, and nearly did, but decided nope... basically, if people have a strong reaction to a post, then get it down with words. There's more, but that's basically it in a succinct way.

Brian Freeze

Nothing funny to add as ever but thanks so much for this place its a quality outfit, you've got it all going on.
Good to hear you're enjoying it too!

Mister Six

Really, genuinely delighted that you're still enjoying this place, Barry. I know it sometimes brings a lot of frustration into your life when people become a bit obsessive and demanding, so it's lovely that you mostly feel pleasure and pride over the place.

Now quit slacking and fix the tags and bring karma back and restore the Pienaar ratings and

BlodwynPig

Cheers.

Ta.

Thanks and all of that.

Dogshit in the hallway, tales about the cat.

It's Barry Admin, Barry Admin, Barrrrrrryyyyy Admiiiiiiiiin!!!

Buelligan

Heheh, was just posting to say I'm glad you've not reinstated karma - it was great for bookmarking lovely personal moments but that's about it.  Applauding can just as easily be done in the thread (although, I know I'm guilty of not doing it enough, not nearly enough).  We, perhaps, should make more of an effort to mark great contributions, we have so many posters here that contribute genuinely brilliant stuff, many, who, soon as you see their av, you know you're going to be made to feel good in some way.  We should thank them more. 

But anyway, I digress, I don't miss karma even though I loved giving it.

Egyptian Feast

In a couple of months it'll be 20 years since I first visited this site (the day after the BES special) and I know I'd be a very different person today if I hadn't stuck around. It's given me a lot of laughs, pointed me to so much music, cinema and comedy I might have missed out on otherwise, made me see many key issues from a different perspective, enhanced my understanding of the world and myself etc. etc. In short, you radicalised me, you cunts. I could've passed for normal by now if it wasn't for stumbling upon this place. Thanks Barry!

Brundle-Fly

Bring back the old banner too. Pictures of sexy people from the late-1960s are good for the soul.

BlodwynPig

phes

22 years since youuuuuuuuu turned on replies, you turned on replies

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's really quite amazing that a general purpose forum has not only survived so long, but that it shows no signs of slowing down and is getting mentions on the BBC, etc, and as anyone who can remember the halcyon days of internet forums can attest that is 100% down to the moderation of Barry Admin. Practically any other moderator would have wrecked this place decades ago.

(Wouldn't hurt you to permaban anyone who has spoken ill of orangutans in the great ape thread, but that's a minor quibble)

kittens

i hope i'm in as good shape as this website when i'm 22

Utter Shit

It is pretty amazing that this place is still thriving. Every other forum I've posted on over the years has either become much less active or died completely.

I've always thought that the long-form discussion of a forum makes it an alternative to social media rather than a competitor, and the problem is that social media is simply easier for casual discussion. But for big comedy nerds like us a forum will always be preferable.

That said, you can all go fuck yourselves.

imitationleather

thugler

Thank you! Sterling work and I continue to enjoy wasting innumerable hours on here.

JaDanketies

Quote from: kittens on May 15, 2021, 04:10:04 PM
i hope i'm in as good shape as this website when i'm 22

no way is anyone young on this website

🥰 🥰 🥰 Thank *you* Barry Admin 🥰 🥰 🥰

Not sure when I started coming here but it must be coming up to 20 years. That's half my life!

Have had so many laughs and good times thanks to this place.

And I still visit for hours a day sometimes. Should probably "subscribe" again...

DrGreggles

Fambo Number Mive

Thank you Barry, for this wonderful oasis of humour, kindness and creativity. I don't think anywhere else on the internet has such a wonderful group of funny, kind and creative people as the Cabbers. 

Dusty Substance

Thank you Barry. We love and appreciate all you do.

I've been using CaB for nearly 20 years (lost my old log-in details, rejoined in 2010) and it's always been my favourite forum. As someone who lives alone, it's been especially helpful during lockdown.

Replies From View

Quote from: phes on May 15, 2021, 03:06:10 PM
22 years since youuuuuuuuu turned on replies, you turned on replies

And I haven't softened since.

vanilla.coffee

Thoughts and prayers... ah sorry, wrong thread.

mjwilson

idunnosomename