Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:08:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bloods

Started by steveh, May 15, 2021, 09:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveh

New Sky One comedy about paramedics in South London starring Jane Horrocks and Samson Kayo and written by Nathan Bryon.

I like both the leads and there's some good supporting cast too so I wanted to like this but it doesn't quite work and doesn't seem really sure what it is. There isn't a strong enough sustained gag rate or sharpness to be that kind of comedy and then in later episodes it starts to shift more into a comedy drama but is constrained in developing characters by the half hour slot and just six episodes. Maybe if it gets a second series they will have worked things out some more.

I have the impression Sky's productions often lack an experienced hand to help better shape scripts during development and then they're not helped by a kind of blandness in production. In The Long Run suffers from the same problem.

Reminded me of Channel 4's Sirens from a decade ago, which I enjoyed at the time and was surprised got just one series.

neveragain

The way it's filmed kills a lot of the comedy, and there's not enough of that to begin with. The supporting characters (basically everyone who isn't Mayo or Horrocks) aren't very likeable.

Malcy

I just switched off after 9 minutes of episode 1. Didn't laugh and the dialogue was annoying as fuck.

steveh

At a time when other commercial broadcasters seem to be scaling back on it, it's good that Sky are commissioning British comedy and from new writers and with more diverse casts. They just seem to be falling short on what's needed to make them great shows.