Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:36:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Green Party goes into coalition with Lib Dems and Tories in London.

Started by Paul Calf, May 15, 2021, 10:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Buelligan on May 17, 2021, 03:30:29 PM
What about dealing with all the shit that comes out of these people.  All their bins and recycling.  Fixing their teeth and their covids.  Getting them into and out of where they now are to all the places they want to go?
They can work that out for themselves, I would think would be the response. To be honest, I half expect emptying the bins to become an individual's responsibility eventually if council cuts keep going ahead.

I grew up on a new build (in 1985) estate that is still about two or three miles from any real amnesties except schools. The funny thing is that you're entirely reliant on having a car, but there's not even a petrol station nearby. 

Buelligan

Or a bus.  And, if it's like here, the people living there already have to stump up to sort out the water and sewage and bins so's some outsider developer can make money by destroying the land and then bugger off.

I wouldn't mind so much if they had a rule that said you can't build new when there are empty houses for sale in the location.

peanutbutter

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 17, 2021, 03:20:50 PM
I wonder if current thinking is that they don't actually need that many amenities anymore, at least in commercial terms: "Everyone shops online now, so no need for shops. And folk can't be arsed with the pub these days..."

Even with schools, there's probably an assumption people are happy to send their kids 10 miles on the bus if needed.
The absolutely tiny town centre being currently overloaded with the teenagers that came from those houses is a fair bit of an issue though. Had to point out to my mam how it's actually the fault of the (now long dead) councillor of the area than those kids' families.

Bus thing very much applies in Ireland, the specific town that always comes to my mind back home built hundreds and hundreds of houses, didn't even have a secondary school and had no GP at the time this building was going on. It now has a GP and one of the biggest primary schools in the county, but kids are bussed to secondary school in a town less than a third the size with a far older population.
Absolutely blows my mind that it was just accepted as okay by parents in the mid 00s to have us getting an hour long bus twice a day that done a double run (so we were hanging around the school up to fuck all before 8am in the middle of winter). I guess everyone makes concessions when settling  down in an area they're just totally oblivious to until they're stuck with them though.

olliebean

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 17, 2021, 03:36:35 PM
They can work that out for themselves, I would think would be the response. To be honest, I half expect emptying the bins to become an individual's responsibility eventually if council cuts keep going ahead.

Judging by the talking points the candidates have prepared for when they come round canvassing in the local elections hereabouts, I would expect bin collections to be the very last thing to be cut.

Norton Canes

And in Lancaster..?

QuoteCat Smith MP

Disappointing news from Lancaster City Council that the Tories and Greens have joined forces to end the Progressive Alliance. The Green Party have walked away from the formalised Progressive Alliance of Labour, Green and Liberal Democrats to jump into bed with the Tories

Trying to find some corroboration.

canadagoose

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 17, 2021, 08:12:28 PM
And in Lancaster..?

Trying to find some corroboration.
That's a misleading graphic, because Caroline Jackson is a Green, not a Tory. It's surprising from a Scottish perspective that the Tories would give the Greens support, because that would never happen here. You'd be more likely to see a Labour-Tory council (Aberdeen City, for instance).

Blinder Data

If you scour local election results you'll find loads of weird and seemingly improbable coalition or "confidence and supply" deals. That's how councils work. You've got to make sure the bins get taken somehow.

Psybro

In Sheffield the Greens have gone into coalition with Labour and the Lib Dems have supposedly declined an invitation to join, possibly because the councillors were being told they had to answer to the name 'Reek'.

Much was made that the Tories were locked out of the talks, but that's easy when there's one of them.

danwho9

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 17, 2021, 08:12:28 PM

It's a painful business...

This is a bit like when I was informed by a Green activist in the Forest of Dean near me that the Tories had actually worked with them to declare a Climate Emergency, playing defensive to my cynicism about a Tory council doing that. Was still surprising to me because I honestly thought the Tories there would generally be as right wing as you could get, the area after all had a number of UKIP defectors a few years back.