Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:56:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brilliant pop singles that were total chart flops

Started by non capisco, May 15, 2021, 11:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 18, 2021, 03:10:14 PM
Save It For Later - The Beat    No 47.

Yeah, that one's pretty insane. Especially given it came out in '82 and would have slot perfectly into that pop golden year alongside your Love Plus Ones and Party Fears Twos and whatnot. I guess the public were only willing to see them as a 2-Tone band?

Dead Soon

Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 18, 2021, 11:10:54 AM

In 2000, a chap called Mark Cummins released a single called "New Year's Day" under the name Saint Mark.  It was a catchy little pop track, very PSB-influenced, and it sunk so much without trace that the only evidence of it that seems to exist online is an incomplete off-air recording of it, here.  I presume: did not chart.

Possibly never officially released? Discogs only lists a promotional copy. In any case it's failure to take off isn't too surprising, not a bad song but it sounds like a 1.0 demo. The outro in particular is pure placeholder.

Something vaguely unsettling about its sole representation coming in the form of that lo-fi cassette taping. Gone forever if the taper didn't have a spare bit of tape in that moment. Almost ethereal.

You still get this happening, a demo of some sorts is given an airing on mainstream radio and if it makes no noise it becomes as obscure as anything else in the pre internet days. On Capital FM in 2017 a really odd sounding recording was played. Female vocal to a beat lifted straight from 80s/early 90s hip hop. Jarring and very out of keeping. And, yeah, couldn't tell you anything else about where to find it.

Dr Rock

Quote from: daf on May 18, 2021, 03:07:52 PM
From an early version of 10CC - reminds me a bit of Thunderclap Newman's 'Something the Air' :

Doctor Father - Umbopo

Released in August 1970 - did not chart

Another cracker, should've charted fo sho

Quote from: Dead Soon on May 18, 2021, 04:45:50 PM
Possibly never officially released? Discogs only lists a promotional copy. In any case it's failure to take off isn't too surprising, not a bad song but it sounds like a 1.0 demo. The outro in particular is pure placeholder.

Something vaguely unsettling about its sole representation coming in the form of that lo-fi cassette taping. Gone forever if the taper didn't have a spare bit of tape in that moment. Almost ethereal.

I spent years trying to fathom what this song was, having heard it on the radio once, and only remembering "I'm gonna grow my hair / marry a millionaire" from its lyrics.  Meanwhile, someone in Romania was doing the same thing and we ended up becoming friends.  So we know that it was played on the radio at least twice in two different countries in the world... and who said promoters were parasites.

I also remember reading a review of it online from some music blog or publication, comparing it favourably with the PSBs, and also pointing out that "literally no one" bought it.  So maybe you're right, it never made it onto the shelves.

My Romanian friend actually got in touch with the guy and he promised to send her one of the hundreds of CDs he had lying around (but never did).  In any case, one day I was astonished to find it in an old record store (remember those?), and here's the song for anyone who wants to hear it in marginally better quality.  I'd upload it to YouTube myself, but I think that crappy off-air recording as the only source lends it the mythical quality it deserves.

Quote from: Dead Soon on May 18, 2021, 04:45:50 PM
You still get this happening, a demo of some sorts is given an airing on mainstream radio and if it makes no noise it becomes as obscure as anything else in the pre internet days. On Capital FM in 2017 a really odd sounding recording was played. Female vocal to a beat lifted straight from 80s/early 90s hip hop. Jarring and very out of keeping. And, yeah, couldn't tell you anything else about where to find it.

This happened with Jim Martin's solo work after he left Faith No More - I remember they played a couple of new songs on the radio, one of which I remember really liking and not really sounding much like his usual style, but I'm fairly sure that neither made it onto the solo album he eventually released.  And, like that, they were gone forever.

Jockice

Since I missed out on putting it in the history of pop thread, Middle Of The Road by Denim from 1992. A song that should have inspired mass singalongs in stadiums. I don't think Lawrence has EVER had a single or album that has even reached the outskirts of the actual charts. In a way I'm glad the Summer Smash debacle happened because I think that is one of Denim's weaker songs, and makes them look like a gimmick band, which they weren't totally. Back In Denim is my favourite album of all time you know. To me it's soul music.

So thanks for dying Diana. I appreciate that.

Yussef Dent

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 16, 2021, 03:26:20 PM
I remember quite liking the follow-up 'Animal Army' at the time. I haven't heard it since it sort-of flopped (it at least scraped the top 40) and not sure I want to bother, but it is better than the most part of 'Spaceman'.

I'm at work now so can't listen to it for verification but I seem to remember Jas Mann pronouncing Tyrannosaurus as "Tryannosaurus" in that. Didn't it also have a very similar bass riff in the verse to I Wanna Be Adored as well?

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Jockice on May 19, 2021, 06:44:40 AM
Since I missed out on putting it in the history of pop thread, Middle Of The Road by Denim from 1992. A song that should have inspired mass singalongs in stadiums. I don't think Lawrence has EVER had a single or album that has even reached the outskirts of the actual charts. In a way I'm glad the Summer Smash debacle happened because I think that is one of Denim's weaker songs, and makes them look like a gimmick band, which they weren't totally. Back In Denim is my favourite album of all time you know. To me it's soul music.

So thanks for dying Diana. I appreciate that.

The masses were never going to go for Denim, more fool them.  I'm with you: Back In Denim is one of the all time great albums.

Crabwalk

Tracy Spencer's 'Run to Me' had Number One written all over it in 1986. And it got there in Italy (where it was produced) but nowhere in her native UK, or anywhere else. Well played Italy.

mrClaypole

The more I see the less I believe- fun boy three only got to no 68.
I know alot of the radio stations banned airplay back in the day
But still!

daf

pigamus

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 19, 2021, 05:54:52 PM
Tracy Spencer's 'Run to Me' had Number One written all over it in 1986. And it got there in Italy (where it was produced) but nowhere in her native UK, or anywhere else. Well played Italy.

Well the intro sounds fantastic, but then the vocals come in and...er...yeah.

Crabwalk

Radio 1 played "I Was Born on Christmas Day" to death around Christmas of '93, and it staggered to number 37.

I just came across this live performance of it on The Word.  Proper watchfingers vocals there.  Good job they both look nice!

DrGreggles

I think I'd have wanted Sarah for Christmas in 1993...

Bet they've done well from it since though, as it's on all those Christmas compilations these days. And it's one I don't mind hearing because it's rather nice.

chveik

sorry but none of these singles are good enough

Butchers Blind

New York Boy from 2001 by a band named Gloss. Can't remember anything about the group but this was a fine piece of pop that didn't trouble the charts.

https://youtu.be/a4ODVM5NhxY

The follow up, Lonely in Paris was also good.

daf

Quote from: Butchers Blind on May 20, 2021, 11:41:35 AM
New York Boy from 2001 by a band named Gloss. Can't remember anything about the group but this was a fine piece of pop that didn't trouble the charts.

https://youtu.be/a4ODVM5NhxY

The follow up, Lonely in Paris was also good.

I also loved "This Is All I Need" from them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDNN70uC7BM

Didn't chart, of course.

Gloss were a UK-based band featuring Icelandic Heidrun Bjornsdottir on vocals; they just disappeared when their record company Nude Records went under.  They managed to get an album out, but seemed to be entirely without promotion, and I only knew about them via a friend who knew one of them.

King Cold

Thank You by The Pale Fountains...

https://youtu.be/tM4Y6rjeNlE

A great pop song and the closest they got to a hit single. Number 48 in 1982.

willbo

Saint Etienne released some fantastic singles in the 90s which barely made any impression on the Top 40.... Radio 1 played "I Was Born on Christmas Day" to death around Christmas of '93, and it staggered to number 37.

Is that the one that sounds like Common People?

daf

Transglobal Underground - Temple Head

Released in August 1991 - did not chart

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(I always associate this with Funkadelic's 'Maggot Brain', The Kinks 'Big Sky', and 'Soon' by My Bloody Valentine  -  thanks to an excellent mix tape made by my brothers mate, John Broadley)

pigamus

I was listening to Sunglasses at Night by Corey Hart on YouTube. Was that even released in the UK?

pigamus

famethrowa

Quote from: pigamus on May 16, 2021, 12:41:41 AM
Pulling Mussels (From The Shell). 44.

Quote from: pigamus on May 16, 2021, 01:29:50 AM
XTC, Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead - also 71!

I think the (laughably bad) titles of these songs might have something to do with it? I'm sure it's all very insightful and smug and clever, but as Tom Baker said, "to someone on a building site... they may not pick it up"

Quote from: pigamus on May 26, 2021, 12:18:47 AM
I was listening to Sunglasses at Night by Corey Hart on YouTube. Was that even released in the UK?

Recorded and released in the UK, but did not chart here.

Quote from: willbo on May 25, 2021, 10:40:34 PM
Is that the one that sounds like Common People?

I guess... kinda...

Quote from: pigamus on May 26, 2021, 12:18:47 AM

There was a mashup of that with the Bobby O version of West End Girls released back in 1984, which apparently even got a UK pressing.  Didn't chart.
West End, Sunglasses

I was expecting the Billie Jean + Do It Again mashup to be another one which didn't chart, but it apparently reached a respectable #11 in 1983.
Do It Again Billie Jean

Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 26, 2021, 12:48:58 PM
I was expecting the Billie Jean + Do It Again mashup to be another one which didn't chart, but it apparently reached a respectable #11 in 1983.
Do It Again Billie Jean

Early project of Gianfranco Bortolotti who went on to form Cappella and other early 90's one hit chart bothering house acts.