Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:41:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jacka-nacka-ignorey! (topic ignore browser extension/user script)

Started by Bunty Levert, May 16, 2021, 04:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunty Levert

A while ago I made a quick user script to allow hiding topics on CaB, as it was getting depressing habitually checking the frequently-updated progress of a certain definitely-a-journalist who decided to burn his former comedy writing career (and family... and life) to the ground.

Since it's apparently ignoring season around here, I've tidied it up a bit, added some tweaks specific to the Recent Unread Topics view because it's the best, and published it as an extension for Firefox and Chrome (but it can still be used as a user script if that's your thing).

You can see what it does and get it here if you like:

Cook'd and Bomb'd Ignore Topics

olliebean

Fantastic stuff, I will definitely be using this. I've been using uBlock Origin's element picker mode to hide the titles of topics I'm not interested in, but it's a bit of a faff and I still have to scroll past the title-less topics. This is a lot better. Have a bucketful of Karma.

Endicott

Just installed this in tampermonkey just to see. Very nice, and I've often thought it would be useful to be able to tidy threads I've got no interest in out of the unread posts view. Cheers.

Uncle TechTip

What if a much-loved poster loses their mind and starts ripping into everyone in the boring year-old thread? Could you bear to miss out on the drama?

KennyMonster

I thought this was gonna be a thread saying Jack Nicholson had died.

Now unsure if I'm disappointed or not?

Buelligan

Cheer up.  It means you still have something nice to look forward to.

Bunty Levert

Jack Nicholson is not dead... unless he went in the night and is yet to be discovered by the maid.

TrenterPercenter

Sorry didn't know where to ask this and this seemed to be the best place.

So I'm using a Mac and when someone replies to my post I get a little pop up in the top right corner (I've no idea why it does this though I like it).  Problem is it does this for people I have on ignore. Is there a way of setting this so the ignored don't show up either?

Not the end of the world if not but I'd rather feel benefit of the full ignore function if possible.

Famous Mortimer

I remember when I adminned a forum similar to this, yonks ago, there was a plugin which was the equivalent of "sending someone to Coventry", where the admin could make it so person X was the only person who'd be able to see person X's posts. Eventually, person X would get bored and go off somewhere else. Banning for sadists!

pigamus

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 05, 2022, 08:49:31 PMSorry didn't know where to ask this and this seemed to be the best place.

So I'm using a Mac and when someone replies to my post I get a little pop up in the top right corner (I've no idea why it does this though I like it).  Problem is it does this for people I have on ignore. Is there a way of setting this so the ignored don't show up either?

Not the end of the world if not but I'd rather feel benefit of the full ignore function if possible.

Well the Notifications are in the top left under your username - you'd probably have to turn the whole thing off I imagine

Crenners

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 05, 2022, 08:49:31 PMSorry didn't know where to ask this and this seemed to be the best place.

Unfortunately, this is also a way for people to follow you around. If it also blocked quote notifications from your ignore list, it would be great.

Edit: Haha. I've just seen you can turn off all quote notifications in the settings. And that's the end of you forever, turd. 👋👋👋

Kankurette

Paul Calf

Nah, iPhones are locked-down to fuck. Chrome iPhoneOS is basically Safari iPhoneOS with a skin. The only way you'd get plugins to work on Chrome iPhoneOS is to jailbreak and do some nasty shit with it.

EU rulings coming forth might change that, however.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/04/17/app-sideloading-support-coming-ios-17/#:~:text=iOS%2017%20to%20Support%20App%20Sideloading%20to%20Comply%20With%20European%20Regulations,-Monday%20April%2017&text=Apple%20in%20iOS%2017%20will,to%20Bloomberg's%20Mark%20Gurman.

pierre boo-lez

Quote from: Kankurette on May 15, 2023, 02:32:53 AMHow do you get it to work in an iPhone?

1) Download the app Userscripts from the App Store

2) Go to Settings>Safari>Extensions and enable Userscripts

3) Open the Userscripts app and tap "Set Userscripts Directory"

4) Choose a folder that you're going to use to store your scripts, or create a new folder and choose that.

5) Go here long press on "Install this script", then choose "Download linked file".

6) Open the Files app on your phone. If you're not already on the "Recents" page, navigate to it

7) You should see that your most recent file is the Cook'd & Bonn's scripts you downloaded in step 5

8) Long press the file, select move, navigate to the folder you chose in step 4 then tap move in the top right hand corner of your screen. This will move the downloaded file to your scripts folder so user scripts can see it.

9) In Safari, tap on the little jigsaw piece on the left of the url field, you should see a list of things with Userscripts near the top

10) Tap on Userscripts in that list, it should open a little window. Tap on the folder on the left and make sure it lists the script you downloaded. If it does, make sure the toggle on the right (beneath "Done") is set to on and there you go, it's all set up!

Bear in mind I have not tested it on the actual forum, this is just how you get it in Safari on an iPhone. Also I didn't write the Userscripts app.