Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:03:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Does anyone remember a disturbing moment on "Buzzcocks"

Started by willbo, May 16, 2021, 09:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leej88

Guess the show on Sky1 will be more PC and for the snowflakes.

mippy

Quote from: Leej88 on May 30, 2021, 09:49:52 AM
Guess the show on Sky1 will be more PC and for the snowflakes.

What do you consider 'PC' to mean?

Echo Valley 2-6809

Let's just pause to remind ourselves how shit this DVD cover is.

Sebastian Cobb

I think I might've seen that, if it was the one that got aired on Channel 4 at some point.

Leej88

Team captains and guests all being lovely is what I mean by PC.

mippy

That's not what PC is, but I like lovely people, the world loves to love lovely people, so sounds great.

scarecrow

I often wonder what Huey Morgan would have done to that mug had Rizzle Kicks read out extracts from his wife's book.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Leej88 on May 30, 2021, 03:01:30 PM
Team captains and guests all being lovely is what I mean by PC.

Makes you sick doesn't it?

Lovely pc CUNTS

Spiteface

Quote from: scarecrow on May 30, 2021, 09:46:10 PM
I often wonder what Huey Morgan would have done to that mug had Rizzle Kicks read out extracts from his wife's book.

One would hope he would aim for their heads.

I will still defend Huey. Anyone else would be the same stuck in the same room as Rizzle Kicks and Paul Foot.

idunnosomename

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 30, 2021, 02:37:24 PM
I think I might've seen that, if it was the one that got aired on Channel 4 at some point.

The one special of his I vaguely remember seeing included a section where he showed footage of one of the planes hitting the building on 9/11, and using a remote control moved the video back and forth for 2 seconds either side of the impact while intoning: "Alive... dead... alive... dead..."

Exalted humour indeed, but I've never seen it since.

willbo

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on May 30, 2021, 11:54:51 PM
The one special of his I vaguely remember seeing included a section where he showed footage of one of the planes hitting the building on 9/11, and using a remote control moved the video back and forth for 2 seconds either side of the impact while intoning: "Alive... dead... alive... dead..."

Exalted humour indeed, but I've never seen it since.

I remember that as well. I've never really known what he's famous for tbh. As a kid I just assumed he was a dj/journo or something.

thenoise

JaDanketies

Wow, Phil Jupitus entered showbiz when he did anti-fascist punk poetry, supporting artists such as  Billy Bragg and The Housemartins.

I also always assumed he was a Chris Moyles-type DJ who loved the sound of his own voice. Never thought he could've been once cool.

Kankurette

He used to be Porky the Poet. I think he's in the Happy Hour video.

notjosh

I have this on VHS somewhere, gives an idea of his early act:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaFM22q9zZ8

He finishes with a cover of Billy Bragg's Sexuality but with the lyrics changed to be about Bestiality. Pretty much epitomises early-90s musical comedy.

Jockice

Quote from: Kankurette on May 31, 2021, 09:28:15 AM
He used to be Porky the Poet. I think he's in the Happy Hour video.

He was press officer for Go! Discs for a while. Where he was known as Porky. He's also in Billy Bragg's Sexuality video. I met him a couple of times during those days. Lovely bloke, even if I've never really found him funny.

Custard

That's the thing, Jupitus seems like a good bloke generally. He does great things like search for and buy every single colour variant cover of a Ian Dury and the Blockheads record, just because he's such a fan. But then you see him on Buzzcocks and he quickly turns into a wallybum. It's very confusing

https://recordcollectormag.com/articles/dury-duty

sutin

Phill Jupitus still does Porky The Poet sets. He was on the same bill as my girlfriend's band a few years ago, and I also saw him open for The Lovely Eggs. He's good, I like him.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: willbo on May 31, 2021, 06:18:40 AM
I remember that as well.

Part of me wondered if I'd imagined it as I've never seen it since. It's possible it wasn't 9/11 but another plane crash, it was a long time ago.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: thenoise on May 31, 2021, 09:03:37 AM
Fucking hell. Did anyone laugh?

I don't recall any booing. Perhaps he was making an important philosophical point.

madhair60

I quite like Jupitus but I'm not sure why. I somewhat enjoyed his book.

sutin

Quote from: madhair60 on May 31, 2021, 12:54:38 PM
I quite like Jupitus but I'm not sure why. I somewhat enjoyed his book.

I like him because he's a music nerd and we have a lot of musical interests in common. Plus my mate Helen (of Helen Love fame) is mates with him and seems to think he's a sound bloke.

BeardFaceMan

I remember him being on QI and they were talking about songs that make people kill themselves and he mentioned Judas Priest and the song Suicide Solution and when asked how he knew that started shouting "well I'm only a DJ" It's only my job!". I wish I was on hand to tell him that that was the song that got Ozzy into trouble, not Judas Priest. The unfunny prick.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 31, 2021, 02:51:19 PM
I remember him being on QI and they were talking about songs that make people kill themselves and he mentioned Judas Priest and the song Suicide Solution and when asked how he knew that started shouting "well I'm only a DJ" It's only my job!". I wish I was on hand to tell him that that was the song that got Ozzy into trouble, not Judas Priest. The unfunny prick.

THANK YOU. My tv got a coating of spittle that night too.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: sutin on May 31, 2021, 02:42:24 PM
I like him because he's a music nerd and we have a lot of musical interests in common. Plus my mate Helen (of Helen Love fame) is mates with him and seems to think he's a sound bloke.

You know Helen ( of Helen Love fame) ? I'm impressed!

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 31, 2021, 04:02:29 PM
THANK YOU. My tv got a coating of spittle that night too.

I was waiting for the klaxon to go off so Fry could say "and that's why you're only a DJ on 6 Music where no one listens to you" but alas, no.

DrGreggles

Everything I've heard about Jupitus suggests that he's a good guy.

But...

I've seen him twice live.
Once at Edinburgh, which remains the poorest Fringe show I've seen.
The other was a ISIHAC record where, a cynic may suggest, that he over-laughed at what the other panellists had said in order to give himself more thinking time.