Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:28:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Does anyone remember a disturbing moment on "Buzzcocks"

Started by willbo, May 16, 2021, 09:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Ferris

Quote from: vainsharpdad on May 16, 2021, 01:03:32 PM
Enjoyed the Amstel era at the time - and hey, it wasn't as bad as TTIAO

"This Time In Alan O'Partridge"?

sutin

Quote from: notjosh on May 16, 2021, 01:16:38 PM
I thought it was pretty cunty of Amstel to take the piss out of Preston From The Ordinary Boys' girlfriend by reading her autobiography with disdain. It was implied that he was a diva for walking off, but who the fuck is gonna sit there and let someone call their girlfriend thick and shallow like that?

I've never liked Amstel and that was my first vindication that he is/was a horrible little weasel cunt.

markburgle

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 16, 2021, 11:32:09 AM
Can't believe I used to watch this crap regularly because of the superficial pop music history content.

Yeah, I was a kid first discovering the world of music outside of Radio 1 and that was almost the only show where I could see bit of old punk bands and stuff. Hardly cared about the quiz part

Spiteface

Quote from: notjosh on May 16, 2021, 01:16:38 PM
I thought it was pretty cunty of Amstel to take the piss out of Preston From The Ordinary Boys' girlfriend by reading her autobiography with disdain. It was implied that he was a diva for walking off, but who the fuck is gonna sit there and let someone call their girlfriend thick and shallow like that?

He looked in a foul mood before Amstell even started reading his wife's book, to be fair.

Not excusing it, but you could tell Preston didn't want to be there.

Mister Six

Quote from: sutin on May 16, 2021, 03:06:49 PM
I've never liked Amstel and that was my first vindication that he is/was a horrible little weasel cunt.

Wasn't Amstell quite apologetic about his snidey cunt persona on the Adam Buxton podcast? Saying it came from a place of insecurity and he was quite regretful? I recall something like that, at least.

wrec

I remember Lemmy supposedly walked off in disgust after they were nasty about women in one of those lineups. The following week Lamarr joked about how it was pointless to walk off after they'd finished filming. Quite something (and very telling of the time) to be so dismissive about accusations of misogyny like that. I think they idea was "they know what to expect and they love it".

Ferris

Quote from: Mister Six on May 16, 2021, 03:35:59 PM
Wasn't Amstell quite apologetic about his snidey cunt persona on the Adam Buxton podcast? Saying it came from a place of insecurity and he was quite regretful? I recall something like that, at least.

Yeah sounds familiar to me as well. He's always seemed a good egg when he's not being a prick to people.

Tokyo van Ramming

Amstell's been nothing but apologetic for that era ever since. He's Walked it Back, and in fine style. He dealt with it in Grandma's House, which I think was the first thing he did after Buzzcocks.

sutin

I've never seen him in anything apart from Buzzcocks and I skipped that Buxton podcast because of him. Taking into account what's been said here, I guess I could give him another chance.

ajsmith2

Grandma's House is a brilliant bit of self parody (I mean it's far more than that, but that's a major element of Amstell's character) of Amstell's Buzzcocks career that made me do an genuine 180 on my opinion of the guy. It really gets across how depressingly life sappingly hollow that persona is, and how much of a shameful waste of his and everyone else's time he found it in retrospect.

If you hate Amstell on Buzzcocks, the closing scene of the GH with Amstell rejected and humiliated by those he sought to impress,  reduced to watching NMTB clips on Youtube while being fed beans and toast by his gran, his dreams of bettering himself shown to be pathetic Billy Liar like delusions as he faces up to the fact that this shite is likely gonna be his legacy, will show that you still don't hate him half as much as he hates himself.

BlodwynPig

This Time In Alan's Office?

ah, Ferris was there first

up_the_hampipe

I think Amstell's shame only comes from the fact that Buzzcocks is a lot more low-brow than the things he really wanted to do. There was recently a Guardian interview with Amstell and Miquita Oliver celebrating Popworld, he certainly seems to stand by the intentions and targets of what he was doing. He's always defended himself when someone has tried to suggest he went a bit far. He just looks back on that part of his life as wasted on trying to deconstruct the concept of celebrity, when really he needed to work on himself.

I don't think anything he did on Buzzcocks, outside of perhaps a gag or two I don't remember, was unjustifiable. Lamarr was the nasty one, there were no motivations behind his attacks other than spite, even that was sometimes funny though.

PlanktonSideburns

Loved it when I was an insecure hateful thoughtless teenager

Trying to be a better shit now, would probably disagree with my past self seeing it again

Icehaven

Quote from: lankyguy95 on May 16, 2021, 11:20:31 AM
Do you know which episode that was?

What, which episode of the AB podcast? He's mentioned it loads of times, particularly how disastrous his HIGNFY appearance was. Someone else has posted that he wrote something about Buzzcocks too and I've read Ramblebook so maybe I read it there as well.
If you mean which episode of Buzzcocks he was on I dunno, I'll see if it's on youtube.

Edit: Series 25 episode 4, here it is. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7tdw95

msm

Quote from: Spiteface on May 16, 2021, 03:23:27 PM
He looked in a foul mood before Amstell even started reading his wife's book, to be fair.

Not excusing it, but you could tell Preston didn't want to be there.

think they may have very  recently broke up or divorced , so he was understandable upset ?

willbo

I read Buxton's ramble book recently and I don't remember any mention of nmtb or hignfy

Utter Shit

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 16, 2021, 04:39:00 PM
I think Amstell's shame only comes from the fact that Buzzcocks is a lot more low-brow than the things he really wanted to do. There was recently a Guardian interview with Amstell and Miquita Oliver celebrating Popworld, he certainly seems to stand by the intentions and targets of what he was doing. He's always defended himself when someone has tried to suggest he went a bit far. He just looks back on that part of his life as wasted on trying to deconstruct the concept of celebrity, when really he needed to work on himself.

I don't think anything he did on Buzzcocks, outside of perhaps a gag or two I don't remember, was unjustifiable. Lamarr was the nasty one, there were no motivations behind his attacks other than spite, even that was sometimes funny though.

The Rhys Thomas and Tony Way Podcast (which was brilliant btw) had a few stories about Lamarr being a really horrible cunt. I miss that podcast, Rhys Thomas was fantastically indiscreet when pissed.

paruses

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 16, 2021, 12:19:56 PM
No, it wasn't that, the edit was designed to make him look dottery and not-all-there (according to Lee).
Yes - that more than hunmourless. But I did think that Lee said B. Oddie had some good lines and was pretty fun
but they cut them all. I would have to reread the article though as I only really remember the gist that it was dishonest.

Didn't Richard Herring also speak about it without fondness?

up_the_hampipe

It's weird for Lee to be annoyed about the edit, when he suggests in the episode that they should fade in and out of Oddie talking to signify the passage of time as he rambles on. It's based off his joke, and he wouldn't have made the joke if Oddie wasn't behaving a certain way.

lankyguy95

Quote from: icehaven on May 16, 2021, 05:03:08 PM
What, which episode of the AB podcast? He's mentioned it loads of times, particularly how disastrous his HIGNFY appearance was. Someone else has posted that he wrote something about Buzzcocks too and I've read Ramblebook so maybe I read it there as well.
If you mean which episode of Buzzcocks he was on I dunno, I'll see if it's on youtube.

Edit: Series 25 episode 4, here it is. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7tdw95
Nah it's alright, I meant his podcast. I dip in and out of it so I don't remember. Thanks though.

studpuppet

Back to the starey guy. I seem to recall they brought one extra back a few times (may have been female, or there may have been two they brought back?). I remember the look of contempt on their face(s), and that they dressed them in the manner of the pop star involved, the more incongruous the better (wigs, cross-dressing etc).

Edit: this guy?

https://m.facebook.com/The-creepy-number-5-from-Never-Mind-The-Buzzcocks-Identity-Parade-round-33063838019

vainsharpdad

TTIAO = They Think It's All Over

*In case anyone is genuinely baffled.

Dr Rock

I didn't like the section's unfunny cruelty either, but I assume they were paid extras/hired from Ugly, and knew what they were getting into, not duped members of the public.

idunnosomename

which was also created and produced by Simon Bullivant and Bill Matthews

willbo

Quote from: studpuppet on May 16, 2021, 08:26:05 PM
Back to the starey guy. I seem to recall they brought one extra back a few times (may have been female, or there may have been two they brought back?). I remember the look of contempt on their face(s), and that they dressed them in the manner of the pop star involved, the more incongruous the better (wigs, cross-dressing etc).

Edit: this guy?

https://m.facebook.com/The-creepy-number-5-from-Never-Mind-The-Buzzcocks-Identity-Parade-round-33063838019

I don't think that's the guy I'm remembering, he was more heavy metal looking (with long dark hair and beard and I think leather jacket), and not as intentionally funny looking as him.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 16, 2021, 08:33:59 PM
I didn't like the section's unfunny cruelty either, but I assume they were paid extras/hired from Ugly, and knew what they were getting into, not duped members of the public.

I'd assume that but it's still one of the few comedy things I look back on and cringe about and to put that in context I can rewatch Bo Selecta with not a hint of guilt. But that Buzzcocks segment is just such bare faced mean spirited bullying. Literally lining up 5 people and taking the piss out of them. It aligns perfectly with the worst stuff from the 70s and 80s.

Kankurette

One of the guys from Space was asked to do the ID parade, but turned it down. I don't blame him.

holyzombiejesus

Wasn't Buzzcocks partly responsible for Lauren Laverne's post-Kenickie career?