Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:05:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Does anyone remember a disturbing moment on "Buzzcocks"

Started by willbo, May 16, 2021, 09:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echo Valley 2-6809

The lovely nice and kind Stephen Fry being disingenuously misogynistic in the identity parade round https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEXPaukEakc

paruses

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on May 27, 2021, 11:41:59 AM
The lovely nice and kind Stephen Fry being disingenuously misogynistic in the identity parade round https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEXPaukEakc

That's pretty horrible. It's sounds like a prepared joke too and horribly crowbarred in for no reason. At least he looks like he knows it's shit. Maybe that's worse.

willbo

I can never recognise the people in the line ups, even after seeing the clip...

robprosser

Quote from: NoOffenceLynn on May 26, 2021, 01:29:23 PM
The treatment of Gail Porter on the show was awful, she was in tears and Lamarr just kept going, oblivious to her upset.
It's very generous of you to say he's oblivious to her being upset. He was very aware that he'd reduced her to tears, the despicable cunt.

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on May 27, 2021, 11:41:59 AM

Fuck that, it is really hatefull, considering Fry who always plays to the gallery as a misunderstood outsider, who "gets" women. He doesn't and never has.

willbo

didn't he marry a baby faced 20 year old young man a few years ago?

Jollity

Not quite that young, I think, but definitely thirty years younger than him.

Custard

My partner went off Fry when he married much younger than him. "I just imagine him on top of the boy, squashing him" was the general gist

I went off Fry probably around 95, the flouncing cunt

Mobbd

I agree with much of what is being said here, especially about the misogynist Lamarr era and double-especially to the punching down of the identity parade whether staged or actual.

But can I offer a contrary view with the caveat that I haven't re-watched a single episode since broadcast?

I always felt that in the broader context of the 90s/00s TV landscape and/or celebrity culture, Buzzcocks was kinda holding celebs to account for their twattish preening and attention-seeking and their massive paycheques for the production of vapid twaddle. Simon Amstell in particular was good at popping the balloons of absurdly inflated egos, knocking them down a peg or two within a sort-of safe space provided by comedy. And maybe it encouraged people at home to see how ridiculous celebrity was and that maybe it shouldn't be seen as noble or something to be envious of.

It was like an anti-Heat magazine, which, when put that way, might be seen as a public service. Or like Points of View in that a minority of haters with a bit of taste can get a word in against the winning dimwits for once. Or like Prime Minister's Questions when the Big-I-Am is roasted for a bit before they go back to work. Thoughts?

Mobbd

Quote from: robprosser on May 27, 2021, 03:06:58 PM
It's very generous of you to say he's oblivious to her being upset. He was very aware that he'd reduced her to tears, the despicable cunt.

I was at a QI recording and I was taken aback by some racist shit he said to Pakistani comedian Sami Shar. It didn't make the cut, obviously.

It was like a "hard microagression" along the lines of "I don't know how you can admit to coming from such a terrible country" as if Sami was personally responsible for where he was born and what it's like there (and as if people of Fry's own social background weren't somehow responsible for what it's like there).

(Please don't knock him for the age gap thing though. Come on now.)

katesbush

I haven't visited this forum for many a year but logged on recently and felt I had to post this..

Simon Amstell on the Buzzcocks reading the final paragraph of Preston's girlfriend's book..
Man, this unclassy act was manufactured to hurt, pure and simple. Think about what he was doing FFS.

The only 'decent' thing Preston could have done, was walk away.
Sit there and take it? Absorb the humiliation ? Seriously?

I was a much younger man at the time, but I wanted very much for Preston to walk over & punch Simon hard a few times
in the face with an angry fist. Shock everyone. Put that cvnt in hospital. Not lose any sleep afterwards & fvck the consequences.
I would've respected him for it.

Not familar with Preston's work (Then or even now) But fvck that cunt Amstell. I've hated him ever since. Shame on anyone who's ever forgiven him.

Captain Z

I know, it was a totally inappropriate thing to do on TV.

Some of us hadn't finished reading it yet.

DrGreggles

Quote from: katesbush on May 28, 2021, 08:32:36 PM
I haven't visited this forum for many a year but logged on recently and felt I had to post this..

Simon Amstell on the Buzzcocks reading the final paragraph of Preston's girlfriend's book..
Man, this unclassy act was manufactured to hurt, pure and simple. Think about what he was doing FFS.

The only 'decent' thing Preston could have done, was walk away.
Sit there and take it? Absorb the humiliation ? Seriously?

I was a much younger man at the time, but I wanted very much for Preston to walk over & punch Simon hard a few times
in the face with an angry fist. Shock everyone. Put that cvnt in hospital. Not lose any sleep afterwards & fvck the consequences.
I would've respected him for it.

Not familar with Preston's work (Then or even now) But fvck that cunt Amstell. I've hated him ever since. Shame on anyone who's ever forgiven him.

Amstell was mocking a pointless cash-in celeb book, probably not even written by [insert pointless celeb's name].
Preston had been on before and knew it was a piss-taking show, but decided to flounce regardless.

Stank of PR to me anyway. An attempt to get his shit band one last headline:
'CUNT FLOUNCES'

Cold Meat Platter

It's an absolute cuntfest, really. Sad, manipulated pop cunts being abused by sociopathic comedian wankers for the benefit of pub bore pop trivia arseholes.

Melody Lee

Quote from: willbo on May 16, 2021, 09:29:11 AM
there was a man in the line up who had long hair and a beard, and he had some sort of facial twitches and body shakes

Phil Jupitus and the others drew attention to this and made jokes about him needing his medication and stuff

the guy looked really intense, he was staring crazily, and I couldn't tell if he was really upset or it was an act. It's always stayed in my mind and I think about I see Buzzcocks.

I think I remember something like this on Buzzcocks around the early 2000s, though my memory of it is vague and possibly false, as your post reminded me of another lineup guest whose anxiety was palpable and uncomfortable to watch.

I remember a guy in the lineup with unusually large/muscular arms, shaking quite noticeably. He seemed to be nervously anticipating a pisstaking from the panel and twitched when they made a joke about the guy next to him, which drew their attention.

Would I be right in guessing that Sean Hughes had expected it to be a cleansing laugh at the expense of celebrity culture and had fucked off when he realized it was just the host being a snide sexist cunt with the captains expected to play along?

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 27, 2021, 06:43:46 PM

It was that year he went missing while in a West End play.  I can't recall the show's name but Rik Mayall was in it too and was apparently in tears, thinking Fry had topped himself.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on May 29, 2021, 03:09:41 PM
Would I be right in guessing that Sean Hughes had expected it to be a cleansing laugh at the expense of celebrity culture and had fucked off when he realized it was just the host being a snide sexist cunt with the captains expected to play along?

I think Sean Hughes fucked off when he made a pile of money big enough to buy his house outright and not have to do much else.

Icehaven

Quote from: NoOffenceLynn on May 27, 2021, 03:17:46 PM
Fuck that, it is really hatefull, considering Fry who always plays to the gallery as a misunderstood outsider, who "gets" women. He doesn't and never has.

Didn't he get into trouble once for saying in an interview that straight women never enjoy sex and just put up with it to keep men happy or get pregnant? He obviously backtracked after and said he was joking or being satirical or something but I can't remember how it ended. Anyway he made himself look pretty daft, so even if it was a joke it was clearly too subtle.

Brundle-Fly

I think it was more along the lines that men are generally shackled to their libido more than women are.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 27, 2021, 06:43:46 PM

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 29, 2021, 03:19:52 PM
It was that year he went missing while in a West End play.

I assume that's what Custard's "flouncing cunt" was a reference to.

I've just remembered he peroxided his hair blond at the time as well. A pity no one made a joke about that after his bitchy hair dye remark on Buzzcocks.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Oh well, while we're talking about Fry's disappearance, these two brief news items from ITN and the BBC on the same day show how brilliantly The Day Today nailed it.
Even the member of the public in each piece has a TDT ring to it.

ITN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfi_Uhm5sMs  'His parents say they're distressed and worried about him.'

BBC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiWLityH_ws  'His parents say they're not worried about his safety.'

Leej88

The show was on life support by 2015 was good when it started.

Spiteface

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 28, 2021, 10:00:48 PM
Amstell was mocking a pointless cash-in celeb book, probably not even written by [insert pointless celeb's name].
Preston had been on before and knew it was a piss-taking show, but decided to flounce regardless.

Like I said earlier in the thread, he looked pissed off right at the start, before Amstell even pulled the book out. Plus, it was fucking Chantelle from "Celebrity" Big Brother.

Leej88

He says he regrets walking off and should have not done it.

Dr Rock

It was a no win situation. So really he need to perform a Kobayashi Maru. I don't know what that would have been under the circumstances.

Sebastian Cobb

Getting some lookalike in the audience was still a pretty funny response to it. Quite contrived and probably talked about to the point it's less funny than people think it is (just like HIGNFY replacing someone with a pack of lard - again still funny).

Leej88

Phil Jupitius was there so long he looked like someone's Dad who had been picked to be team captain at the end.

peteprodge

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on May 29, 2021, 06:00:16 PM
I assume that's what Custard's "flouncing cunt" was a reference to.

I've just remembered he peroxided his hair blond at the time as well. A pity no one made a joke about that after his bitchy hair dye remark on Buzzcocks.

This quote tends to come up rather a lot from right-wing people on social media...

"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." - Stephen Fry, 2005

Apparently that's meant to trigger all the libs. I just find it a tad hypocritical given Fry's reactions to being criticised.

petril

Quote from: Leej88 on May 29, 2021, 10:19:08 PM
Phil Jupitius was there so long he looked like someone's Dad who had been picked to be team captain at the end.

he went from your uni mate who did a bit part for the Drama Society at late, short notice just to help out to being the mature student who's been at that uni for decades now