Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 10:42:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nirvanna: A Bannd: A Thrread

Started by MrMrs, May 16, 2021, 10:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMrs

Had an empty so I watched the entire web series.

I've previously watched it all before but every time I return to it, I laugh a bit more. It's a ridiculously funny, deep, poignant show. Wish they'd get down to a 3rd series. The Buffet is the best 30 minutes of TV I've seen.

madhair60

Apparently season 3 is fully complete and just needs a home.

C_Larence

One of the best comedies of the last 20 years. The only thing I can think of that comes close in my estimations is Nathan For You. It somehow feels like watching two friends you've known all your life.

https://youtu.be/tocXHG75BjA

madhair60

Quote from: MrMrs on May 16, 2021, 09:51:25 PM
what? where ya hear this?

Facebook group. There have been screens posted of an episode featuring Eric Andre. Their contract was for three seasons but Viceland (the channel) closed down during production of the third.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/nirvanna-the-band-the-show-lives-on-despite-rogers-pulling-plug-on-viceland/article37694577/?fbclid=IwAR241DbUen5T6Eft6SaMzb_ZszmCXTwsjEqw0crsh7od91BwqhkSYCGEGQI

VelourSpirit

Just felt my head spin realising the last episode was over three years ago and season 3 is still in limbo
adult swim is the only place that makes sense for it now but I don't know if they'd want to deal with the weird copyright stuff... I'm not sure how Viceland got away with stuff like using the Daredevil theme and having actual audio from The Force Awakens in the cinema playing but it must have been somehow okay and legal, surely?

VelourSpirit

Quote from: C_Larence on May 16, 2021, 11:21:15 PM
One of the best comedies of the last 20 years. The only thing I can think of that comes close in my estimations is Nathan For You. It somehow feels like watching two friends you've known all your life.

What is absolutely frustrating is that it's so obviously good and everyone should love it, but this is STILL one of the only good clips you can find that could get people wanting to watch. Viceland would take down anything from the actual series, only leaving up deleted scenes and stuff that doesn't really make sense without knowing the show already
(not that I'd want it to be as popular as the Eric Andre Show because it's my secret niche show and only I and other cool likeminded people are allowed to watch it :))

MrMrs

Quote from: C_Larence on May 16, 2021, 11:21:15 PM

the familiarity thing is true. I warmed to them so quickly despite them being horrible racists at times

Ferris

Must give this another go - people love it (and I'm a huge fan of Nathan for You) but it didn't click with me.

C_Larence

Quote from: TwinPeaks on May 16, 2021, 11:58:00 PM
Just felt my head spin realising the last episode was over three years ago and season 3 is still in limbo
adult swim is the only place that makes sense for it now but I don't know if they'd want to deal with the weird copyright stuff... I'm not sure how Viceland got away with stuff like using the Daredevil theme and having actual audio from The Force Awakens in the cinema playing but it must have been somehow okay and legal, surely?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQXxw6PUu_4

They talk about that kind of thing in this youtube interview. Basically, if they can make a strong argument that those IPs are integral to the story they're trying to tell, and the characters they're playing then there's not really much anyone can do to stop them under fair use laws. I highly recommend watching/listening/reading any interviews with Matt, he talks very engagingly about the logistics behind making the show and his movies.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 17, 2021, 12:50:15 AM
Must give this another go - people love it (and I'm a huge fan of Nathan for You) but it didn't click with me.

The only similarity to Nathan For You is that they're Canadian and interact with real people.

Ferris

I've heard a few people mention it in the same breath - I think it's a similar style of quirky quasi-reality based humour that would never have a broad appeal but has a cult following (especially among comedy nerds like the CaB faithful). I might be wrong on that, but that's my recollection.

C_Larence

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 17, 2021, 12:56:04 AM
I've heard a few people mention it in the same breath - I think it's a similar style of quirky quasi-reality based humour that would never have a broad appeal but has a cult following (especially among comedy nerds like the CaB faithful). I might be wrong on that, but that's my recollection.

Yes the cult following feel is definitely true, more so with NTBTS though. Do you remember how much of the show you watched before?

Zetetic

I think you could argue that there's a similarity in the approach to reason and sense in both, although it's deployed in very different ways.

The supposed through motivation for NtBtS - getting a show at the Rivoli, by any means, as the way to become a successful band - feels vaguely NfY-like in the back-to-front symbols-mistaken-for-thing reasoning, to.picl a broad example.

Ferris

Quote from: C_Larence on May 17, 2021, 01:20:44 AM
Yes the cult following feel is definitely true, more so with NTBTS though. Do you remember how much of the show you watched before?

I think I finished the first season? I remember them escaping in a streetcar down queen street (which turns south on Spadina at the first turn ie it will be a million times slower than walking because when that diversion happens it takes ~20 minutes to loop the block) and handing out money in koreatown from a moving piano.

Also think I watched it as a very new parent so definitely didn't give it the time of attention it deserves.

Ferris

Quote from: Zetetic on May 17, 2021, 01:31:10 AM
I think you could argue that there's a similarity in the approach to reason and sense in both, although it's deployed in very different ways.

The supposed through motivation for NtBtS - getting a show at the Rivoli, by any means, as the way to become a successful band - feels vaguely NfY-like in the back-to-front symbols-mistaken-for-thing reasoning, to.picl a broad example.

Yes, completely agree with this. Something about a ludicrous scheme being played completely straight reminds me of NfY.

C_Larence

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 17, 2021, 02:02:56 AM
I think I finished the first season? I remember them escaping in a streetcar down queen street (which turns south on Spadina at the first turn ie it will be a million times slower than walking because when that diversion happens it takes ~20 minutes to loop the block) and handing out money in koreatown from a moving piano.

Also think I watched it as a very new parent so definitely didn't give it the time of attention it deserves.

Those sound like the ending to the first and third episodes respectively. I wonder if knowing the area so well makes it better or worse. I've only visited Toronto briefly but had a great time spotting locations from the series, including the house (which has since become a tattoo parlour)

Ferris

Quote from: C_Larence on May 17, 2021, 02:37:38 AM
Those sound like the ending to the first and third episodes respectively. I wonder if knowing the area so well makes it better or worse. I've only visited Toronto briefly but had a great time spotting locations from the series, including the house (which has since become a tattoo parlour)

There's probably a few local gags in there but tbh I don't remember any. I doubt there's anything you can't pick up from context (ie the Rivoli is a desperately mediocre bar, Queen street is a major thoroughfare etc).

Edit:
Spoiler alert
Sundance!
[close]
Hang on, I remember this show was great but couldn't find the 2nd season to stream or something. Gonna get stuck in now! Christ my mind was frazzled during new baby time.

C_Larence

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 17, 2021, 02:46:24 AM
There's probably a few local gags in there but tbh I don't remember any. I doubt there's anything you can't pick up from context (ie the Rivoli is a desperately mediocre bar, Queen street is a major thoroughfare etc).

Edit:
Spoiler alert
Sundance!
[close]
Hang on, I remember this show was great but couldn't find the 2nd season to stream or something. Gonna get stuck in now! Christ my mind was frazzled during new baby time.

Haha! Get in! If you need a link let me know, there's a google drive with the webseries, viceland show and deleted scenes. Same applies to anyone reading this.

Ferris

Quote from: C_Larence on May 17, 2021, 03:16:29 AM
Haha! Get in! If you need a link let me know, there's a google drive with the webseries, viceland show and deleted scenes. Same applies to anyone reading this.

It's free to stream on the CBC app here (I'm assuming it got some arts funding from somewhere so CBC get a piece of the action, syndication-wise). Just watched the episode with
Spoiler alert
the Make a Wish/Canada's Wonderland
[close]
storyline, absolutely brilliant. Mad cap irreverent silliness. Surely I can't finish the entire season tonight...

Edit: watched the next episode ("the buffet"). This is so good. Just the finale to go and I'm done season 1! Tempted to save it tbh, I don't want to burn through something as good as this too quickly.

C_Larence

God I love The Buffet, that shot at the end with
Spoiler alert
Matt and Jay's silhouettes in front of the fireworks
[close]
is so good. Did you notice the music in the background of the restaurant?

MrMrs

love all those wee musical clues in the buffet, ah ive rewatched it so often, it's amazing, gets better every time

The Mollusk

Agree that "The Buffet" is a masterpiece. "The Bean" is maybe the actual best episode in terms of how relentlessly funny it is but "The Buffet" is honestly just beautiful. I was on holiday in New York with my best friend when we first watched it, we were drunk and sharing a bed in an Airbnb (no, this isn't going where you're thinking) and by the end of it we were both sobbing. I'm pretty sure we watched it again immediately afterwards.

Viceland did such a shite job of handling the second season, putting out the episodes in the wrong order and everything, which was especially annoying when it starts to follow an episodic plot arc in the latter half of it. Still though the first episode they ended up airing was the Halloween one, and it opens with Jay playing the "Goosebumps" theme on the piano and barking some of the notes like a dog which immediately had me in stitches.

One of my favourite deleted bits from the web series is the Nicky Nicky Nine Doors song. The very fact that it's funny at all is a testament to how much of a naturally brilliant comedic talent they both are. I think they probably recognised that it needs a bit of embellishment to carry it from being something just they would find funny into something that a wider audience would find funny, which is maybe why they pitched the vocals down? Either way it's fucking gold.
Spoiler alert
"You got a doorbell? I'll ring it!"
[close]

MrMrs

there's a google drive out there with all the shows, the extras and the web series btw. dm me and i'll link you

madhair60

I've only seen the first five episodes of the first season. I can't bear to watch any more because it will eventually run out.

Ha ha ha ha! You idiot! You're a sneaking bitch!!

The Mollusk

Quote from: madhair60 on May 17, 2021, 01:58:16 PM
I've only seen the first five episodes of the first season. I can't bear to watch any more because it will eventually run out.

Rectify this IMMEDIATELY.

Ferris

Quote from: madhair60 on May 17, 2021, 01:58:16 PM

You're me at 11pm last night. Don't be like me.

The Mollusk

Jay walks in and starts playing the intro theme to Final Fantasy XI. All these piano session cuts are just Matt getting annoyed that Jay isn't helping and then going into a wistful reverie about the music Jay starts playing. They're fucking wonderful.

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 17, 2021, 02:41:48 PM
Jay walks in and starts playing the intro theme to Final Fantasy XI.

No, no, no!  Stop getting Final Fantasy wrong!  That's the intro music to FFVI.  Let me tell you how the end of the beginning goes; Lightning strikes.  Bang!  I'm Terra.  I'm walking with two Imperials in our mech suits towards the town of Cornelia...