Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,396
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:13:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nirvanna: A Bannd: A Thrread

Started by MrMrs, May 16, 2021, 10:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 17, 2021, 02:57:39 PM
No, no, no!  Stop getting Final Fantasy wrong!  That's the intro music to FFVI.  Let me tell you how the end of the beginning goes; Lightning strikes.  Bang!  I'm Terra.  I'm walking with two Imperials in our mech suits towards the town of Cornelia...

Sorry I typed a letter wrong.

Ferris

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 17, 2021, 02:57:39 PM
No, no, no!  Stop getting Final Fantasy wrong!  That's the intro music to FFVI.  Let me tell you how the end of the beginning goes; Lightning strikes.  Bang!  I'm Terra.  I'm walking with two Imperials in our mech suits towards the town of Cornelia...

"All do that with your eyes PSX emulators..."

MrMrs

Quote from: madhair60 on May 17, 2021, 01:58:16 PM
I've only seen the first five episodes of the first season. I can't bear to watch any more because it will eventually run out.

Ha ha ha ha! You idiot! You're a sneaking bitch!!

Just watch them all, honestly. They're even better on the fourth or fifth viewing.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: C_Larence on May 17, 2021, 12:52:43 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQXxw6PUu_4

They talk about that kind of thing in this youtube interview. Basically, if they can make a strong argument that those IPs are integral to the story they're trying to tell, and the characters they're playing then there's not really much anyone can do to stop them under fair use laws. I highly recommend watching/listening/reading any interviews with Matt, he talks very engagingly about the logistics behind making the show and his movies.

The only similarity to Nathan For You is that they're Canadian and interact with real people.
Ahh thank you, I always meant to watch all of Matt's interviews, he's a very interesting, really smart guy. There's this clip of him on the show Cash Cab and he just can't contain all his knowledge, it's funny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6gUaw918FE He obviously has this huge well of knowledge and references and things and he can just spin it all into these webs, get disparate bits of footage to connect in these crazy narratives, he's amazing

A good list of lots of ntb + adjacent stuff here for anyone running out of episodes to watch, there's lots of cool extra stuff. still need to watch Operation Avalanche http://torontofilmreview.blogspot.com/2017/10/the-nirvanna-band-cinematographic.html

MrMrs

thanks for those, i remember thinking operation avalanche wasn't that great

The Mollusk

"Operation Avalance" is ace, as is "The Dirties". They're both nowhere near the comedic heights of NTB but they don't actually try to be, they're just very smart slice-of-life buddy films with big hearts which throw in some occasional laughs. Maybe I'm misremembering but they felt quite similar to films like "The Dish" in that regard. One of Matt's many talents is making character relationships extremely endearing which I feel like he's excelled at across all of this stuff.

Ferris

Just remembered Matt's
Spoiler alert
explanation of Northern Ireland
[close]
and started laughing to myself in the garden. Look mad now.

madhair60

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 18, 2021, 05:53:48 PM
Just remembered Matt's
Spoiler alert
explanation of Northern Ireland
[close]
and started laughing to myself in the garden. Look mad now.

i want to see this.

C_Larence

Quote from: madhair60 on May 18, 2021, 07:54:42 PM
i want to see this.

It's in The Boy (season 1 episode 6). I always think of it as the weakest episode of the show, which is testament to the quality of the other episodes.

Ferris

Quote from: madhair60 on May 18, 2021, 07:54:42 PM
i want to see this.

It's as pithy and irreverent as you'd expect. Loved it.

Really impressive for a show to have these little nuggets of material and let them go without feeling the need to expand on them, and trusting the audience to enjoy them in context without handholding etc. That's another mark of Nathan For You actually.

madhair60

Ah I had actually seen that one. It's The Bank and season 2 I haven't seen yet.

MrMrs

you're in for a treat, one of my favorite episodes that

madhair60

truth is used to watch it with my ex and now she's gone.

Janie Jones

My son is a big fan of this. I don't get any of the 90s references and I still like it so I think it has intrinsic merit and charm but if you were born in the 80s in an anglophone country I think you couldn't not love this.

MrMrs

thoughts on operation avalanche? rewatched last night
pretty good. not funny in the slightest but entertaining and engaging

MrMrs

Quote from: madhair60 on May 16, 2021, 11:24:36 PM
Facebook group. There have been screens posted of an episode featuring Eric Andre. Their contract was for three seasons but Viceland (the channel) closed down during production of the third.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/nirvanna-the-band-the-show-lives-on-despite-rogers-pulling-plug-on-viceland/article37694577/?fbclid=IwAR241DbUen5T6Eft6SaMzb_ZszmCXTwsjEqw0crsh7od91BwqhkSYCGEGQI

which fb group was this dude?

Ferris

Just finished this, absolutely brilliant.

Can someone PM me the google drive link? The CBC streaming app is awful and I'd love to rewatch these.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 23, 2021, 03:11:02 AMCan someone PM me the google drive link? The CBC streaming app is awful and I'd love to rewatch these.

PM sent.

SpiderChrist

Having never seen this show, and being in desperate need of levity, I too would be enormously grateful for that link.

PlanktonSideburns

SpiderChrist

13 schoolyards

This thread has made the show sound like a must, so if someone could send me the link that'd be brilliant

Tokyo van Ramming

Another PM sent. Anyone else can PM me if they want the link as well. It's amazing that it's still up and working really.

Edit: Oh, there's a page 2 now. Apologies for the spam.

badaids

Can I have the pm too pleaaaaaaassse? I want to be in the gang.

C_Larence

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on May 23, 2021, 12:34:34 PM
Another PM sent. Anyone else can PM me if they want the link as well. It's amazing that it's still up and working really.

Edit: Oh, there's a page 2 now. Apologies for the spam.

Does your link contain the web series too? If not, anyone can also PM me for that.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: C_Larence on May 23, 2021, 01:57:35 PM
Does your link contain the web series too? If not, anyone can also PM me for that.

Yeah, series 1 & 2, the web series, extra scenes and sound files of all the music in the show!

If you search for 'Nirvanna the Band google drive' it should be the first result.

C_Larence

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on May 23, 2021, 02:29:46 PM
Yeah, series 1 & 2, the web series, extra scenes and sound files of all the music in the show!

If you search for 'Nirvanna the Band google drive' it should be the first result.

Perfect! Yeah, it's not exactly hidden online so like you say it's amazing it's never been taken down. The joys of having a cult audience I suppose.

badaids

Thanks for the links,  I have to day that this show is amazing. 

It's so beautifully put together and smart and charming.  Even if you're not laughing, it's like sitting in a nice warm bath.

I wish I got all the references, I'm sure there's load of computer stuff that I am missing.

A couple of things annoy me.  Jay looks like Keanu Reeves and Dustin Hoffman, which confuses me and Matt with his fat Jamie Oliver head I find quite objectionable to look at.