Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:46:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nirvanna: A Bannd: A Thrread

Started by MrMrs, May 16, 2021, 10:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Mobius

Rewatching this and just forgot how fun and silly it is, the stupid looks to camera, their overall excitement for everything... it's really an uplifting show, just full of childish enthusiasm

There's a bit in episode 2 where everything is bleeped out and a "censored by Vice" covers their mouth - was that ever unedited? I can't remember

C_Larence

Quote from: Mobius on May 24, 2021, 10:34:01 PM
Rewatching this and just forgot how fun and silly it is, the stupid looks to camera, their overall excitement for everything... it's really an uplifting show, just full of childish enthusiasm

There's a bit in episode 2 where everything is bleeped out and a "censored by Vice" covers their mouth - was that ever unedited? I can't remember

It wasn't ever released unedited, but one of the crew revealed on the fb group that the line was
Spoiler alert
"You add a P to LGBT and you have Lesbian Gay Bi Trans Pedophile"
[close]

Mobius

How did they film the theme park stuff with that kid? And how much of Sundance was real?!

Realising watching these that there's episodes I hadn't even seen before which is great

badaids

I'm still loving this one, but I have come across the first mediocre episode:  The Book in Series 2.  It was a nice idea, but it just doesn't come together and falls a bit flat, the good bits in the episode don't come from the plot.

weaseldust

yoshi's tryna get up my ASS

FUCK you donkey KOOOOONG-

Ferris

Spoiler alert
AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CENAAA

*gunfire*
[close]

MrMrs

where can I watch the shows with commentary?

MrMrs

just watched the dirties again, fuck that was so good. quite poignant again. why are matt (and jay) so good at writing disaffected men and male relationships?

anyway,
Spoiler alert
who was filming matt at the end of the film? and did he kill owen, do we think?
[close]

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: MrMrs on May 28, 2021, 02:51:32 PM
where can I watch the shows with commentary?

As far as I know, only the web series has commentaries and they're available on archive.org

C_Larence

Quote from: Mobius on May 25, 2021, 08:32:14 AM
How did they film the theme park stuff with that kid? And how much of Sundance was real?!

Realising watching these that there's episodes I hadn't even seen before which is great

The theme park stuff
Spoiler alert
was filmed surreptitiously, but they were eventually thrown out by security
[close]
. As for Sundance,
Spoiler alert
it's absolutely true that Matt Johnson screened a movie called Operation Avalanche at the festival. That's pretty much where the similarities between reality and the episode end. This is an interesting video.

https://vimeo.com/153063863

For most of it Matt the real life director is speaking, but at the 31 minute mark a plant in the audience asks a question and he switches to Matt the character. It all seems very confusing.

Other small details I know about the episode are that the film critic who speaks to Matt after the screening was a real journalist who was in on it. Pick ups of the premiere screening (the one that Jay introduces) had to be filmed at a venue in Toronto, although I don't remember the reason. Kevin Smith produced Matt's first film The Dirties, hence his appearance in the episode
[close]

privatefriend

Just gave series 1&2 a watch over the past week, it's good stuff. Initially there's something off-putting about the way they dress/act (2006 brooklyn hipsters/precocious improv types) but that quickly fades. Reminded me a fair bit of Delocated/Neon Joe in being purely driven by the internal logic of a character in service of pursuing the silliest ideas possible. Could someone pm the google drive link?

Ferris

The fact that they're so unconsciously dated is part of the charm no? It reinforces that the "band" is doomed to failure before it even gets off the ground, and yet they spend so much time trying to get it off the ground. Part of the joy I thought.

I clocked a couple of good Canadian references as well if anyone cares -
Spoiler alert
running west on Bloor street out of the ROM and turning North is genuinely where the subway stop is. I did a "surely they're not gonna escape on the TTC" laugh when they made the turn. That station is a fucking nightmare if you have a child in a pushchair
[close]

There was also a reference to The Hockey Sweater in one of the eps which I only know because I read it at least once a day, but it's a ubiquitous cultural touchstone over here. Used to be on the $5 I think - might still be, I haven't used cash since January 2020 - so there's another gag for you.

Ferris

Working my way through the online episodes now. Absolutely brilliant.

pancreas

I honestly think it has a call on being the best thing ever. I would put it up there with Why Bother, Jam, Brass Eye. Is it better than Why Bother?—maybe.

Ferris

Quote from: pancreas on June 30, 2021, 12:16:26 AM
I honestly think it has a call on being the best thing ever. I would put it up there with Why Bother, Jam, Brass Eye. Is it better than Why Bother?—maybe.

I've certainly enjoyed and appreciated it the more I've watched it. I'd put it up there with Nathan for You in my estimation.