Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:55:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Healthy skepticism or close-minded? (Reiki)

Started by JaDanketies, May 17, 2021, 02:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

often people try this kind of stuff after they've exhauster the 'proper' scientific channels.

Corpoproc

Quote from: earl_sleek on May 17, 2021, 09:11:55 PM
Strongly believe all cunts that believe this shit should be killed prohibited from voting or holding public office.
nobody should be killed, but they should be locked in a box for their entire life. thats the thing you're missing

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: bgmnts on May 17, 2021, 09:25:35 PM
Well no its a placebo?

That's not really what's meant by "effective". Trials of treatments are typically trying to prove superiority to placebo. Nobody needs to pay £60 an hour for sugar pills.

bgmnts

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 17, 2021, 09:36:26 PM
That's not really what's meant by "effective". Trials of treatments are typically trying to prove superiority to placebo. Nobody needs to pay £60 an hour for sugar pills.

Oh of course but if you want to apply things like aromatherapy or meditation or whatever to yourself etc I dont see the harm in that.

People are ripped off to fuck by most things.

Mr_Simnock

This thread has had me at the 'Alternative' medicine wiki page which is a whole world of bunkum treats. Jilly Juice, Black Salve, Rapid Prompting Method and Vaginal Steaming are all new to me but I have come across that Orgone shite and Psychic Surgery before. A nice rabbit hole of a wiki page I will save for a dull rainy day.

steve98

Ah can't make it tonight, Ah'm stayin' in steamin' mah fanny.

buzby

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 17, 2021, 05:25:14 PM
stealth fighter weekly
Technically, LO aircraft fly through radar and scatter or obscure it's returns, rather than under it. Under the radar would be more like Blackburn Buccaneer or Tornado GR4 Weekly.

Blinder Data

my then pregnant wife received some reiki from an NHS midwife while in the early stages of labour and LOVED it. got no issue with it being part of a range of additional alternative treatments tbh, as long as they don't start putting hot stones on people's backs instead of radiotherapy or summat

thugler

Quote from: bgmnts on May 17, 2021, 04:58:28 PM
I personally dont like the derisory, mocking tone when people talk about holistic medicine like there is absolutely nothing in it and its crackpottery on the level of moon landing denial or something.

People were using these ancient forms of medicines for millennia, and yes its not as effective as our modern medical breakthroughs and such - aromatherapy won't cure your cancer - but there is a lot of value in it to me.

People were doing lots of stupid shit for millennia, that's just an appeal to history fallacy.

Nothing wrong with either finding value in it yourself, nor mocking it as completely lacking evidence for it's effectiveness as far as I can tell. Obviously don't rely on it over proper medicine, but otherwise who cares. From what I hear a lot of the success of alternative therapies comes from them treating their patients with genuine care and attention, while your doctor would be more inclined to get you in and out as quickly as possible.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 20, 2021, 01:55:09 PM
my then pregnant wife received some reiki from an NHS midwife while in the early stages of labour and LOVED it. got no issue with it being part of a range of additional alternative treatments tbh, as long as they don't start putting hot stones on people's backs instead of radiotherapy or summat

I have an issue with public money being spent on this hokum and being used to encourage the quacks that peddle it.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: buzby on May 20, 2021, 01:30:11 PM
Technically, LO aircraft fly through radar and scatter or obscure it's returns, rather than under it. Under the radar would be more like Blackburn Buccaneer or Tornado GR4 Weekly.

Please do go on, at very great lengths if possible.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 20, 2021, 04:13:01 PM
I have an issue with public money being spent on this hokum and being used to encourage the quacks that peddle it.

Yeah I can agree with that. I would like better than placebo if we're going to spend cash on it. Occurs to me that, if the advantage is that alternative medicine practitioners spend longer talking to clients than GPs, we could perhaps make talking therapy more easily-accessible on the NHS. Maybe offer it as standard to people with long term, disabling or terminal illnesses. Probably cheaper than all them crystals and incense.

My mum did a Reiki course when she was a nurse.

pigamus

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 18, 2021, 01:12:36 AM
Jilly Juice, Black Salve, Rapid Prompting Method and Vaginal Steaming

Golden age for John Peel that was

JaDanketies

I joined a bunch of Facebook groups for people who drink turpentine and upload pictures of their shit to show all the alleged candida worms that they've shitted (presumably just bits of their insides). There's definitely a big potential harm to believing in woo. Perhaps Reiki isn't obviously damaging but it's still in the same ballpark as drinking turps cos you think you're infested with insects

Blinder Data

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 20, 2021, 04:13:01 PM

The lady simply applied some pressure with her hands to my wife's back and she liked it. We also got some free aromatherapy oils. This followed a standard midwife check.

Who doesn't like a nurse massaging your back?!

I can see how this might ring alarm bells but what the midwife did undoubtedly made my wife feel more comfortable during extremely painful and tiring early labour. Strictly medicalised behaviour would've almost certainly stressed out my wife and made the whole situation even more worrying and exhausting. For that reason, I see nothing wrong with it.

The midwife only offered it as she thought my wife would be receptive, so it's not like it's being forced on patients or standard practice.

thugler

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 20, 2021, 05:10:53 PM
The lady simply applied some pressure with her hands to my wife's back and she liked it. We also got some free aromatherapy oils. This followed a standard midwife check.

Who doesn't like a nurse massaging your back?!

I can see how this might ring alarm bells but what the midwife did undoubtedly made my wife feel more comfortable during extremely painful and tiring early labour. Strictly medicalised behaviour would've almost certainly stressed out my wife and made the whole situation even more worrying and exhausting. For that reason, I see nothing wrong with it.

The midwife only offered it as she thought my wife would be receptive, so it's not like it's being forced on patients or standard practice.

Could she not have just been offered a massage rather than reiki? The public money could have gone to a masseuse who actually knows what they are a doing, rather than someone putting their hands on and wishing they feel better (reiki). It's not that it's bad in and of itself, but it could certainly lead to people getting into it and there have been instances of people refusing proper medical care.

who cares

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 18, 2021, 01:12:36 AM
This thread has had me at the 'Alternative' medicine wiki page which is a whole world of bunkum treats. Jilly Juice, Black Salve, Rapid Prompting Method and Vaginal Steaming

You don't fool me. Those are the names of Gwyneth Paltrow's kids

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 20, 2021, 04:35:47 PM
I joined a bunch of Facebook groups for people who drink turpentine and upload pictures of their shit to show all the alleged candida worms that they've shitted (presumably just bits of their insides). There's definitely a big potential harm to believing in woo. Perhaps Reiki isn't obviously damaging but it's still in the same ballpark as drinking turps cos you think you're infested with insects

Is it though?

JaDanketies

Well I guess Reiki isn't far off acupuncture, which can cause skin infections. And it relates to a larger 'doctors don't know what they're talking about' conspiracy, which is believed by 100% of posters in Pine Oil - The Candida Cleaner.