Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:37:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Different versions of same album

Started by holyzombiejesus, May 17, 2021, 04:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 21, 2021, 01:50:11 PM
Yeah, that post's not as good.

Now, you'll be eating your words come the reissue, believe you me.

popcorn

Muse (I love old Muse) have announced a new version of Origin of Symmetry for the 20th anniversary. Not so much a remaster as a big remix/edit job by Rich Costey. They've released the new version of Citizen Erased and it sounds weird. Much less spacey and psychedelic.

Art Bear

Lawrence has removed a lot of the Robin Guthrie-ness and one of the instrumental tracks from the most recent reissue of Felt's "Ignite The Seven Cannons". I think he's fiddled about with some of the other reissues in the series too.

holyzombiejesus

I'm a little irritated by the way Lawrence keeps fucking about with the Felt records.That crappy demo on PJR, the previous renaming and complete sleeve change on Let the Snakes... , the shitty new sleeves for all the most recent records and the crappy boxes for the CDs. The remaster of Ignite was great though.

Natnar

There's at least 4 different configurations of The Golden Age Of Wireless by Thomas Dolby. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Age_of_Wireless

greencalx

I suppose format constraints are the dullest reason for differences between releases of the same album. I remember being particularly irritated by the difference between the cassette and the CD release of The Cure's Standing on a Beach singles compilations. The former had a lot of (mostly great) B-sides, whilst the latter traded this for four (less good) songs that happened to have videos to go with them (thereby matching the track listing of the VHS Staring at the Sea compilation, although the latter also had "extra bits" between the songs which I guess wouldn't have worked on the CD without the tomfoolery to go with them). I'm guessing these differences arise mostly from different timing restrictions across the various formats.

Another one that is spectacularly annoying (or, at least, I think so, because the DVD encoding is a bit shit) is that the video release of Portishead's Roseland NYC live album has a much better version of Sour Times than the one that made it onto the CD.

McChesney Duntz

Just got a vinyl copy of the Matador reissue of Gang of Four's Entertainment!, only to find they'd sliced off the count-in and the guitar intro to "I Found That Essence Rare." Thanks, jerks - now I've gotta go hunting for a copy of the original Warner Btothers release (which probably jumps out of the speakers more than this does as well, if my newly-procured original Solid Gold vinyl is anything to go by).

NoSleep

Material recorded numerous singles and EPs in their early days (post Daevid Allen, pre Herbie Hancock), which were later compiled into various collection albums (Secret Life, Temporary Music, Bill Laswell & Material, Reacted). There's a track called Reduction on which sometimes turns up with a version that doesn't have the radio preacher playing over the beat, apart from a snatch from the fade out of the original mix, plus they added tons of unnecessary reverb to the mix.

Original version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGphPRRSbE

Later version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaXhec4Ze0c

Early on there was even a version that was sped up a bit (from Temporary Music): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j17ZkQd8yfo

(There's possibly differences with the other tracks, but that one stuck out to me)

idunnosomename

There was that awful trend in the 00s for rerecording tracks when remixing. It was bad enough when Dave Mustaine did it for early Megadeth, but deplorable when Sharon got Ozzy's current band to record the drum and bass tracks of his early solo albums to avoid paying royalties to the original performers.

Having played the UK LP version earlier on, was reminded of the various different iterations of the 'Best of The Art of Noise' compilation album.

Original 1988 LP version (blue cover) just had the 7" versions.
Original 1988 CD version (blue cover) had the 12" versions.
Original 1988 cassette version (blue cover) had a mixture of 7" and 12" versions.

1992 re-issue (pink cover) had a different tracklisting, removing some of the earlier ZTT-era tracks and replacing them with tracks from the China Records era.

Plus there were a couple of international variations and, I think, digital versions with different artwork.

All over the place.

kngen

Laibach's Kapital contains different versions and/or mixes of the same songs depending on whether you got the vinyl, CD or cassette.

Obviously something to do with entartete kunst testing the boundaries of the fascist infrastructure, you'd have to imagine.

Cursus

Sly and the Family Stone's Fresh:

Quote from: WikipediaIn 1991, Sony Music, by then owner of the Epic catalog, accidentally issued a sequencing of Fresh on CD featuring alternate takes of every song except "In Time", which remained unchanged.

SteveDave

Upon listening to last year's re-issue of the Moldy Peaches album, the word "retards" in "New York City's Like A Graveyard" had been covered up with feedback.

lazyhour

Quote from: SteveDave on June 09, 2021, 12:31:18 PM
Upon listening to last year's re-issue of the Moldy Peaches album, the word "retards" in "New York City's Like A Graveyard" had been covered up with feedback.

A step forward, well done them.

popcorn

Also the Gearslutz music production forum is now Gearspace. Thank fuck

lazyhour

Can we still be VerbWhores though?