Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:34:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Charles Grod-In-Grave

Started by Oh, Nobody, May 18, 2021, 10:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh, Nobody

Charles Grodin, unsurpassed at playing a prick, dead at 86.

He was handcuffed to DeNiro, he fucked Miss Piggy, and BOY the size of that dog. Albert Brook's Real Life and Marty Short fever dream Clifford are personal faves, but his greatest moments may be his disgruntled chatshow appearances, he fitted in perfectly on Letterman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAAbrs21odg

Bad Ambassador

Unsurpassed in the portrayal of infuriation.

frajer

So good in so many things but absolutely magnificent in Midnight Run. Such a tightly controlled and endlessly watchable performance full of subtle details.

You know you're watching someone special when a character politely asks the price of tea, asks the price of coffee, then opts for tea, and somehow makes it a truly funny interaction.

Like Clint Eastwood, started out in 1950s TV and peaked at an even older age than Clint did, being over 50 when he did 'Midnight Run'. His CV includes 'Ishtar' FWIW. Chat show regular since the Mike Douglas era.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: frajer on May 19, 2021, 09:24:12 AM
You know you're watching someone special when a character politely asks the price of tea, asks the price of coffee, then opts for tea, and somehow makes it a truly funny interaction.

Yes! That is such a great moment.

El Unicornio, mang

Great in Midnight Run. Also, great job looking young enough in Beethoven to convince that him and his wife (played by an actress 26 years younger) were about the same age.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I rewatched Midnight Run a couple of weeks ago. Grodin is just perfect in it, constantly needling away at DeNiro. Apparently they wanted Robin Williams for the role but, as good as he was, I can't imagine him working half as well (although it would have made for an odd double bill with Awakenings).