Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:33:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Paul Mooney dead

Started by Petey Pate, May 19, 2021, 04:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey Pate

Apparently due to a heart attack. He was 79.

If haven't heard of him he's probably best known for being Richard Pryor's writing partner for his seminal 1970s stand-up comedy albums - though there's some controversy over how much material he really contributed (Pryor accused him of stealing credit for certain bits years later). He also appeared in Spike Lee's Bamboozled and Chappelle's Show.

There are also these grim allegations from Pryor's widow and former bodyguard, which I was unaware of until just now.

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_MooneyIn an August 2019 interview with Comedy Hype, Richard Pryor's ex-bodyguard, Rashon Khan, alleged that Mooney had molested Pryor's son, Richard Pryor Jr., when Pryor Jr. was a child. Khan also alleged that Pryor had expressed a desire to have Mooney killed in a murder-for-hire plot over this incident and was only prevented from doing so by his 1980 fire accident. The allegations have been corroborated by Richard Pryor Sr.'s widow, Jennifer Lee Pryor. Richard Pryor Jr. has confirmed he was raped but did not mention Mooney by name.

up_the_hampipe

The guy was out of his tree. But he was a prolific comedian outside of his partnership with Pryor, had a bunch of specials and albums. Those segments on Chappelle's Show were just about getting his take on stuff, he always had a great ability to  spin an amusing bit out of nowhere. There's stories of him performing at the Comedy Store for hours and hours, a true natural really. And what a great voice!

Malcy

I thought he died a couple of years ago. His Chappelle Show bits were great.

Dr Rock

I thought I read Paul Morley.

Bazooka

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 19, 2021, 06:01:44 PM
I thought I read Paul Morley.

I saw Paul M and filled in Merton. 😵

beanheadmcginty

I thought it was going to be Paul Myfinger

BlodwynPig

kngen

Quote from: Malcy on May 19, 2021, 05:23:12 PM
His Chappelle Show bits were great.

His bit about Tom Cruise as The Last Samurai is one of my favourite jokes that I can't possibly relay to anyone ever.

The Bumlord

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 19, 2021, 06:43:54 PM
I thought it was going to be Paul Myfinger

Inappropriate in light of the allegations imho

Mobius

Ah damn, I just watched the episode of Larry Sanders he appeared in last night