Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:31:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster series 12

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, May 20, 2021, 01:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Reece Shearsmith would be ace.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: greencalx on May 21, 2021, 04:14:50 PM
Found myself wondering a couple of times how Chris Morris would approach it...

Who?

JamesTC

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 21, 2021, 05:24:39 PM
Who?

The boss off that show that keeps getting repeated on the same channel.

cacciaguida

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 21, 2021, 12:33:06 PM
I know we have the wishlists before every series reveal but I can't think of many things in the world that would make me happier than Daniel Kitson on Taskmaster.

Can't imagine anyone other than Greg in the role now, but a freewheeling, cocksure, power crazed DK would make an excellent Taskmaster

beanheadmcginty

I'd love to see George Egg as a contestant. He has a proven track record of creativity with household items.

Hat FM

you know who i would like to see on taskmaster? stone cold steve austin!

Utter Shit

I reckon Alex would sell a stunner brilliantly.

Famous Mortimer

Oh dear. VCM doesn't have a funny bone in her body - she may be a lovely person, no idea, but whenever you see her on a panel show...it's like she knows the shape of comedy, but not the colour. Or something. Her bits sound like comedy bits, just without anything even remotely funny in them.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Hat FM on May 24, 2021, 10:33:07 AM
you know who i would like to see on taskmaster? stone cold steve austin!

He's too funny.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 24, 2021, 05:07:27 PM
Oh dear. VCM doesn't have a funny bone in her body - she may be a lovely person, no idea, but whenever you see her on a panel show...it's like she knows the shape of comedy, but not the colour. Or something. Her bits sound like comedy bits, just without anything even remotely funny in them.

I've seen a few episodes of Only Connect. When she tries to tell a joke or a funny anecdote, I want to take an acid bath. Doesn't help that she performs them to awkward supergeeks who have no idea how to respond.

jimboslice

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 24, 2021, 05:36:20 PM
I've seen a few episodes of Only Connect. When she tries to tell a joke or a funny anecdote, I want to take an acid bath. Doesn't help that she performs them to awkward supergeeks who have no idea how to respond.

Surely that's the whole point of it though. The jokes are knowingly and deliberately shit.

Old Thrashbarg

Not the best place to put this, but on the latest episode of the podcast, which has now started working through series 3, Al Murray says that there was an unbroadcast episode that was recorded during the same session as the first episode. He didn't go into much detail about what it contained, just that it was all different tasks from any that appeared in the broadcast episodes and that he won it. No-one else has mentioned anything similar from any other series and series 3 is the only one that has 5 episodes, so I wonder if something happened that meant they had to pull it? Either way, I'd love for it to be available to watch one day. I think it's a very underrated series.

BeardFaceMan

Series 2 had 5 episodes too, if I remember right it was something to do with series 2 and 3 being commissioned at the same time but Dave still not being fully on board with the show yet.

MigraineBoy

Greg & Alex once talked about there being an unaired pilot which was used to convince Dave the show was feasible.  I wonder if Al was one of the contestants for that, because when Alex was asked about the pilot (either on a Reddit AMA or his twitter - I just cant find it right now) he said the competitors in the pilot weren't the same 6 that ended up being on the first series.

I read somewhere that the pilot featured Greg being much stricter and not really breaking character, which didn't really work. And he had a cane with a gold T on it, which sounds hilarious. I'd love to see it.

I know Phil Wang did some tasks that they showed to people before they were even given a pilot too. The original plan was to have the contestants to the tasks in their own home, before they figured out how impractical that would be.

It's weird watching the first series back actually - there's a very different feel. It's filmed in an actual theatre, you've got the task in public, there's no running total because Dave wanted to choose which order to show the series in, the trophy is just a trophy and the contestants actually put some effort into the prize tasks.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on May 28, 2021, 10:40:14 AM

I know Phil Wang did some tasks that they showed to people before they were even given a pilot too. The original plan was to have the contestants to the tasks in their own home, before they figured out how impractical that would be.

The "tasks in your own home" idea pretty much became Alex's Saturday teatime BBC1 show 'The Button'.

Pie Pie Eater

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 24, 2021, 05:36:20 PM
Doesn't help that she performs them to awkward supergeeks who have no idea how to respond.

Hey!

Ambient Sheep

I wondered how long that would take!

I think this series will live or die by how Alan Davies approaches it.

My theory is that good Taskmaster contestants are usually at least one of high energy, creative or weird*. Low energy is great if you're creative or weird (like Katy Wix, Angella Dravid and Joe Thomas), otherwise you just end up with another David Baddiel, Jo Brand or Asim Chaudhry. There's a big danger that Davies will fall into that latter category.

Two contestants break my algorithm: Ed Gamble, who was high energy but too calculative to be funny; and Leigh Hart off NZ series 1 who played the whole thing very straight but was still
Spoiler alert
wickedly talented
[close]
and funny.

MigraineBoy

https://twitter.com/AlexHorne/status/1435553398884032516?s=20

Transmission date confirmed & new promo shot of the line-up.

I just noticed that Alan Davies' hoodie is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-NH6TGZTcc

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: olliebean on September 07, 2021, 07:27:56 PM
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XrHXehgsIw

Starts on 23rd September.

That close up of a cake being inserted into someone's backside was a bit strong I thought.

BritishHobo

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 08, 2021, 11:52:32 AM
That close up of a cake being inserted into someone's backside was a bit strong I thought.

Ever more convinced that Horne is deliberately sneaking in content designed to satisfy online fetish communities.

JamesTC

Initially thought I may have clicked on the Only Fools and Horses thread there. That is the perfect comment for it.

frajer

Yeah thought the same when I watched it, quite the lingering image! Also it reminded me there's already been the Best Ever Cake-Sitting when Horne did it at Liza Tarbuck's behest and profiteroles went up his jacksy.

The Crumb

Quote from: BritishHobo on September 08, 2021, 12:45:28 PM
Ever more convinced that Horne is deliberately sneaking in content designed to satisfy online fetish communities.

I kind of assumed it was more about personal gratification.

beanheadmcginty

Hopefully it turns out to be the result of a Bob Mortimer cameo doing his South African character. FEED THAT CAKE INTO YOUR ANUS.

olliebean

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 08, 2021, 12:05:57 PM
Press pack with loads of interviews: https://www.channel4.com/press/press-pack/taskmaster-series-12-press-pack

I've only read one of them (the Alan Davies one), but based on that one you might want to give those interviews a miss if you prefer to go into the series not knowing anything about the tasks in advance.

I read Guz Kahn's and it was spoilerific too, mention of specific moments in tasks and things...avoid.

Norton Canes

I think this series will live or die by how much screen time Victoria Coren Mitchell gets