Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:37:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Are untitled youtube links irritating as fuck or fine?

Started by holyzombiejesus, May 20, 2021, 10:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Can someone add a poll?

Been seeing them more and more on here (or my tolerance is lower than usual) and I wish they'd fuck off. It doesn't take much effort just to type out what you're posting a link to. I get that sometimes there may be a joke or point behind the surprise that pops up when someone clicks on the link but generally I find them a little bit annoying. (It's the untitled links I'm irked by, not the people who post them so please don't think I'm targeting anyone...)

gib

if you're on a computer then get an addon like Youtube on Hover Preview

imitationleather

I'm always worried it's going to lead to some right-wing or other questionable channel that will wreak havoc upon my recommendations for months to come.

purlieu

Yeah, seeing a post saying "this http://youtube.com/whatever" is really just lazy, it doesn't make many people want to click on it, and enough of them can just bog down a thread to the extent of not wanting to click on it.
Frankly, a post that's just a YouTube link isn't really great anyway. Too much of that in Facebook groups already these days (posting a link to a well known song by a band in a group about that band without any sort of comment at all, what is point). Say something about the song, for fuck's sake.

JesusAndYourBush

It's irritating as fuck because of how slowly the page loads on my computer when I'm curious to see what the video is but usually don't end up watching the video.  Just the process of making the page cough up the title is a fucking palaver that takes longer than it should.

If there was a way to make the forum fetch and display the title, BUT NOT PRE-LOAD AN EMBEDDED PLAYER BECAUSE IT'S ANNOYING AS FUCK WHEN YOU GET A WHOLE BUNCH OF THEM ON A PAGE SUCKING YOUR CPU DRY, than that'd be lovely.

olliebean

I use a *Monkey script called YouTube Link Title, which replaces the link with the title of the video, and can also pop up a preview thumbnail on hover, and open links as a popup or an embedded video instead of opening the YouTube page. (All features are optional.) Not sure it's available any more, though. I think it used a public API key or something that stopped working and I had to get a personal API key and paste it into the script, some slightly non-trivial hack anyway.

holyzombiejesus

You shouldn't need to do that just because people can't title their links .

Norton Canes

I think the main point is that lots of us, me included, are just never going to click on them, so don't do it if you want to make some kind of point. The closest I've ever come to leaving this place for good was when someone linked to something very unpleasant for a prank, so untitled links are not getting bothered with.

Greg Torso

I never click on them, either. Same goes for blind links to tweets or news articles. If you can't be arsed, at the very least, to say what it is or why you've posted it, don't expect anyone else to give a shit either.

badaids

Doesn't bother me like say but I get where you are coming from.

But I don't know how to label the link please tell me how thanks bye.

purlieu

If you want a labelled hyperlink, the code is:
(URL=http://link)Song Title(/URL)
Just replace ( ) with [ ]

You don't even need to do that, though. You can just type:
Song Title http://link

Dr Rock

Also unexplained twitter links. Can't folk just copy and paste what the tweet says?

Try to quote the link below in your next message and you'll see what an example would look like.

2 Bad Mice-Hold It Down

The link button (the picture of the globe with a document in front of it) gives you a pair of [url] brackets to make this quicker.

daf

daf

Here's the method I use -

1. In your C&B reply window, type in the name of the song/video you want to link to (e.g. Le Pamplemousse - Le Spank)

2. Highlight the name (hold mouse down and scroll across - should have a block of colour over it)
3. Click on 'Insert Hyperlink' button (the one that's a little globe) :
4. Type in an equals symbol (=) after url in the first square brackets - so it looks like this :

5. Copy link from Youtube address bar e.g. :

6. Paste the Youtube link in the first square brackets after the equals symbol, should look like this :
  ##

For added impact, highlight the lot and click on the Bold button (the one with a B on it) - so it will look like this :

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
## Le Pamplemousse - Le Spank

**  Le Pamplemousse - Le Spank

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on May 21, 2021, 11:12:58 AM
The closest I've ever come to leaving this place for good was when someone linked to something very unpleasant for a prank, so untitled links are not getting bothered with.

If that's the very dodgy one from some years back, I was actually super nervous after linking to it. Great, now that's probably in the dark recesses of my hard drive for good.

Dr Rock

Brundle-Fly

I didn't open it for long but a glimpse of the screengrabs/titles, it all looked a bit 'Gerald Durrell'.

chveik

never click on those. if you're that lazy, you might as well not bother posting at all

The Mollusk

The real question is does anyone even click the links anyway? The answer is no.

Link interaction in this subforum:

A song you already know: no need to click

A song you've never heard before: don't bother

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: chveik on May 21, 2021, 06:08:55 PM
never click on those. if you're that lazy, you might as well not bother posting at all

Going beyond hyperlink formatting (which I couldn't care less about), it certainly feels like there's a few very vocal people in this sub that faced with the choice of receiving information in a format that isn't quite to their tastes or not receiving it at all they'd choose the latter.

Not like that sort of attitude has historically not only driven a few interesting posters out the sub, but off the forum entirely. Of course I'm sure the people responsible for it consider it a job well done, since the only agency anyone else seems to have is not to post.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 21, 2021, 06:58:40 PM
Not like that sort of attitude has historically not only driven a few interesting posters out the sub, but off the forum entirely. Of course I'm sure the people responsible for it consider it a job well done, since the only agency anyone else seems to have is not to post.

Are you saying that a few interesting posters have been driven from the forum because they can't post in list threads?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 21, 2021, 06:57:43 PM
The real question is does anyone even click the links anyway? The answer is no.

Link interaction in this subforum:

A song you already know: no need to click

A song you've never heard before: don't bother

I try not to do the latter.

chveik

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 21, 2021, 06:58:40 PM
Going beyond hyperlink formatting (which I couldn't care less about), it certainly feels like there's a few very vocal people in this sub that faced with the choice of receiving information in a format that isn't quite to their tastes or not receiving it at all they'd choose the latter.

what are you going on about. it's not that hard to write what the link consists of.

I use Newpipe and it's set to give me little pop-up window, it's a joy to be instantly listening to the song whilst reading the post - especially when it's well constructed like daf's in the AAHOPM threads.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Greg Torso on May 21, 2021, 12:11:56 PM
I never click on them, either.

I rarely click on them, but sometimes get curious.
It's sometimes not much better when someone actually says what it is - I click the link expecting to watch a 1 to 2-minute video and see it lasts 95 minutes, fuck that shit, close page.

Goldentony

never clicked an untitled youtube link here or anywhere else, mates, the lot, anyone sends me one they can honestly fuck off and hand themselves in to a prison somewhere, honestly they'll have you, just walk in