Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:04:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Feel-good comedy

Started by madhair60, May 21, 2021, 10:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 21, 2021, 10:07:54 PM
Prime Video has it according to https://www.justwatch.com/uk/tv-series/corner-gas (assuming the eye-watering prices are for DVDs here)

Nope, season 2 onwards it's forty quid per season!

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Bob's Burgers would be the first one I think of. Definitely got the warmth of early period Simpsons, even if it's not necessarily as witty or clever it still raises a smile. Haven't watched an episode in years though, so for all I know it could have spiralled into a decline recently

Steven88

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 21, 2021, 10:32:56 PM
Nope, season 2 onwards it's forty quid per season!
It looks like they've taken them off, I finished watching them for the second time last month.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on May 21, 2021, 10:39:51 PM
Bob's Burgers would be the first one I think of. Definitely got the warmth of early period Simpsons, even if it's not necessarily as witty or clever it still raises a smile. Haven't watched an episode in years though, so for all I know it could have spiralled into a decline recently

Season 10 was a little rough as Louise & Gene were becoming one note monsters, but the latest has felt like a course correction.

Plus Kevin Kline was back as Calvin Fischoeder after being absent all of the previous season.

There's also now The Great North, created by the Molyneux sisters from Bob's Burgers and Minty Lewis from Regular Show. It's similarly warm and grounded as Bob's Burgers, and only marginally fewer steps from turning into a musical at any minute.

danwho9

Still Game would be the choice for me. Feel like it's intentionally so as well, after all a lot of the episodes revolve around Jack and Victor genuinely making an attempt to resolve the plight of a character. Effortlessly charming and authentic in many ways.

Sebastian Cobb

My goto rewatches tend to be Always Sunny and Trailer Park Boys. Operation Good Guys is another good daft one.

Another film would be The Return of the Pink Panther. I enjoy this bit way more than I should:

sutin

Parks & Rec is the ultimate feel-good telly I reckon.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 22, 2021, 11:22:07 AM
My goto rewatches tend to be Always Sunny and Trailer Park Boys.

Yeah there's some real loveliness coursing through TPB. Even at its most depraved and stupid there's a weird warmth and heart that binds all of the characters together. At its best it manages to toe the line between the bickering and the camaraderie so well, it's genuinely touching sometimes. The episode where Bubbles is looking after the mountain lion is very sweet throughout and then right in the last scene it tips over into being a thing of beauty. "No we're not fuckin cryin!"

thenoise

Pink Gregory

In this house it's Community.  Just because there's always a moment of contrition, sensitivity or genuine affection.

Magnum Valentino

This Is Spinal Tap. Singing "All the Way Home" with no self consciousness in the cafe, Nigel coming onstage at the end and the shot of Ian towering beside Janine with cricket bat in hand could thaw me out on the chilliest day.

phantom_power

I am finding Mythic Quest very emotional and feel-good at the moment, mainly involving stuff with Poppy, and more so her interactions with Ian

Blue Jam

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 22, 2021, 05:40:12 PM
This Is Spinal Tap. Singing "All the Way Home" with no self consciousness in the cafe, Nigel coming onstage at the end and the shot of Ian towering beside Janine with cricket bat in hand could thaw me out on the chilliest day.

Whenever I watch that film it's better than I remember. Every single time.

I think "Sex Farm" has to be my fave though.

Glebe

Hi-De-Hi! always fills me with warmth. I am 45.

PeterCornelius

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 23, 2021, 12:56:42 AM
Whenever I watch that film it's better than I remember. Every single time.

I think "Sex Farm" has to be my fave though.

"Big Bottom"

dead-ced-dead

A film that's not a comedy: SPEED RACER

I've watched the final race about a million times and always on days when I'm feeling a bit shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXFknz4J88

For comedies:

Malcolm in the Middle is usually such an un-sentimental but the moments of sentimentality are really earned. "I love that nothing in my life is complete until I've shared it with you."

Detectorists is a lovely hug of a TV show and Toby Jones breaks my heart so much.

Certain nostalgic shows: Spaced, Classic Simpsons, Bottom etc.

studpuppet

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 21, 2021, 08:15:37 PM
Local Hero. Another one that formed part of our New Year's Day cinema ritual. Just a very sweet film all round.

Put this in a triple bill with Gregory's Girl and Restless Natives and spend the day wallowing in feel-good early eighties Scottish comedy.

Jack Shaftoe

New Girl is the ultimate feel-good sitcom for me, particularly when it gets into its stride. Just being around those characters as they bounce off each other is a delight. The two-parter when the boys go on what's supposed to be a macho stag do and end up in a fight in a desert bar while the girls try and fail to return a breadmaker (better than it sounds, I promise), are two of the best consecutive comedy half hours I've ever seen.

But then, I'm very into sitcoms that are there to cheer you up. I tried to watch Motherland the other day and had to bail after about five minutes, can't cope with stressed people in tense situations where there don't appear to be actual jokes, your mileage may vary etc.

Blue Jam

Yeah, I didn't like Motherland at all. I made it about halfway through the first episode, where a wine mum asked some poor bloke working in a cafe if they had anything stronger than tea and he tried to politely explain that they didn't serve alcohol and she snarled at him, then a group of mothers shoved some bloke off a table because they had kids and needed it more than he needed the power socket for his laptop, which just reminded me of too many train journeys where I couldn't use my laptop because a family of four needed the table seat I had reserved. I get it, parents get stressed but all that horrible entitled attitude just put me off.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is another one I find stressful. I love it but I can't binge-watch it, two episodes is my limit, any more than that and I start to crave something more mellow. There's only so much of Larry's exasperation I can take.

There are two episodes of Peep Show I can't watch- "Mugging" and "Burgling". Mark Corrigan may be a horrible person and it can be good to see him get his comeuppance, but to me the mugging, burgling and being stood up by a date don't seem deserved at all, and the muggers, burglars ("Fuck off Cleanshirt!) and date are also all horrible people. Mind you I know people who can't watch the one with Australian Saz while I love that one and think Mark got exactly what he deserved in it.

Stressful comedy thread anyone?

Sebastian Cobb

Best in Show.

Although I guess Harlan Pepper and his Bloodhound Hubert are the only truly wholesome contestants in that.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 23, 2021, 08:45:59 PM
Best in Show.

Although I guess Harlan Pepper and his Bloodhound Hubert are the only truly wholesome contestants in that.

Harlan Pepper, would you stop namin' nuts.

DrGreggles

Best in Show has one of my favourite deleted scenes
https://youtu.be/_JiyUkDe7PA

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 23, 2021, 08:57:36 PM

I've never seen that before, it's incredible!

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 21, 2021, 08:15:37 PM
On a Jacques Tati tip, The Illusionist.

Interesting, I recall enjoying this but finding it very melancholic in tone.

Spoiler alert
'There is no such thing as magic.'
[close]

Jittlebags

I love Ed Reardon's Week. Not what you might call 'feel good', but the Ediverse feels so real that you slip into it so cosily.

paruses

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 23, 2021, 08:57:36 PM

That is fantastic. Thanks. The insurance guy and
Spoiler alert
where I keep some of the others
[close]
really made me laugh.