Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:52:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Billy Bragg

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, July 24, 2005, 01:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

I fucking hate it when you're aching to enter into the spirit of things and you're surrounded by zombies. And I can imagine it being especially painful at a Bill gig, as he usually encourages the crowd to fill in all sorts of bits – I still resent missing the gig my brother went to, when the whole audience supplied the trumpet part to The Saturday Boy so well that Billy wept sarcastic tears of joy.

Judging from the tour dates on his site, I've missed my chance to catch him this time round – shame, I've never seen him without a full band before. But ta for the write-up.

~ Public service announcement ~

Just another quick note about the box set, which I think may be useful for anyone here thinking of buying one...

I took mine back today to get a replacement.
My replacement was also missing the DVD.  When I took that back, I was served by a different HMV bod who told me they'd had a couple returned already.  Seems there's a whole batch missing the bonus DVD.

It's wise, should you be buying one, to open it up and check the contents before leaving the store.

benthalo

Quote from: "alan strang"The girl who taped it for me would have been about ten in 1990 so I suspect it's a little later! I'd hazard a guess at 1997/98.

I've not heard the clip, but he did perform a revised New England on a live session for John Peel, tx 9th July 1998.

Hinton

The man Bragg has a new song for download on the Anti website.  

http://www.anti.com/news.php?id=158

Quote from: benthalo on April 25, 2006, 01:31:18 PM

I've not heard the clip, but he did perform a revised New England on a live session for John Peel, tx 9th July 1998.

*Big Boink*

Finally got around to buying the second Bragg box, since amazon were kind enough to knock it out at a ridiculously cheap price.  It's muchly enjoyable, but I was somewhat disappointed to find the Mothercare version of 'A New England' is not present.

How much other Bragg stuff from between 1983-2000 is missing from these supposedly comprehensive sets?

Ciarán

Glad this has been bumped. Just to say that the "Don't Try This At Home" LP has kept me sane over recent months. It makes me feel all warm inside.

LeboviciAB84

Where's Dark Poet when you need 'im?

I've also just noticed that 'The Boy Done Good' isn't present either.  Now, surely, that should be present on the 'William Bloke' bonus disc as it was the lead track from the 'Bloke On Bloke' mini album (only half present here, I think).  I really hoped that having both these lovely box sets would negate my need for buying any separate Bragg releases.  It would seem not.

Ciarán

Did you buy "Must I Paint You A Picture"? I've only got the two-disc version myself. But it has single versions on it like "Accident Waiting To Happen (Red Star Version)" and "The Boy Done Good".

Dark Poet

Quote from: LeboviciAB84 on May 25, 2007, 05:49:26 PM
Where's Dark Poet when you need 'im?

Aye, this is a freaky.

I'm listening to Shirley off http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reaching-Converted-Minding-Billy-Bragg/dp/B000025AF3/ref=sr_1_1/026-2574255-5308402?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180112248&sr=1-1 as I type, as far as I remember it's slightly different and preferable to Greetings to the New Brunette but I could be making that up.

Whoops there goes another year, whoops there goes another pint of beer.

Quote from: Hinton on April 26, 2006, 02:12:23 PM
The man Bragg has a new song for download on the Anti website.  

http://www.anti.com/news.php?id=158

I missed this download.  What was it?  Was it the song about the oil?

Also, could some kind soul send me the Mothercare version of 'A New England'?  Thanks in advance. [cough]

Quote from: Ciarán on May 25, 2007, 05:54:15 PM
Did you buy "Must I Paint You A Picture"? I've only got the two-disc version myself. But it has single versions on it like "Accident Waiting To Happen (Red Star Version)" and "The Boy Done Good".

Yeah.  I've had that for ages.  I have the posh 3CD version, which I thought I might be able to trade in after getting this second box, but it seems not.

Quote from: Dark Poet on May 25, 2007, 05:59:43 PM
Aye, this is a freaky.

I'm listening to Shirley off http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reaching-Converted-Minding-Billy-Bragg/dp/B000025AF3/ref=sr_1_1/026-2574255-5308402?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180112248&sr=1-1 as I type, as far as I remember it's slightly different and preferable to Greetings to the New Brunette but I could be making that up.

Whoops there goes another year, whoops there goes another pint of beer.

Am I right in thing there's a few nuggets on 'Reaching To The Converted' not present on either of the box sets?

Dark Poet

Quote from: trotsky assortment on May 25, 2007, 06:09:56 PM
Am I right in thing there's a few nuggets on 'Reaching To The Converted' not present on either of the box sets?

Other than those already mentioned, there's Heart Like A Wheel and Sulk.

I'll add that to my list of future Bragg purchases then.  Ta.

Jemble Fred

Wow. Gratifying to see so many Bragg fans all at once on here, this thread was matted with dust!

And then I go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like Download Sulk.mp3

(Well, Bill thought it was funny anyway...)

Ah-a!  I didn't think it'd be long before you showed up, Jembers!

Jemble Fred

Course, the problem is I don't think that BB's actually up to much right now – just checked over his site, and on the News page:

QuoteNews...gigs events releases

There are 0 current news stories.
Page 1 of 0

Although they have just brought out Bragg teatowels.

Anyone read his new book? Shocking that I haven't.

He's playing a charity gig in November backed by Mick Jones and Paul Simonen.  Tickets sold out in under ten minutes.  Bugger!

Bumpity-boo.

Sorry to be a nuisance, but I was reminded of this thread today after a discussion with a friend.  He was insistent that both the Bragg boxes contained everything BB had recorded up to that point.  As we've discussed here previously, that's blatently untrue. 
I remembered 'Reaching To The Converted' had a few bits on, but struggled to elaborate beyond that.  I know there's a fair amount of stuff left behind.  Can anyone help us fill in more gaps?  If you know of songs not on the boxes, if you could tell us where you can get them, that'd be really handy, ta.

Don_Preston

Bought the remastered debut/mini-album a while ago and really loved it. Not even listened to the second disc yet out of enjoyment of the first. That was my introduction to Mr. Bragg

If you're gonna start, Don, start at the beginning.  It's raggedy and raw - I love it too, but I pretty much guarantee if you enjoyed that, you'll enjoy the bonus disc too.  Check out 'Brewing Up With...' after that.  Cracking!

Jemble Fred

I have no idea as I can't afford those boxsets, but I did knock up my own album of BB rarities a few years back. I only mention because I'm still a bit smug about the name I gave it, 'Between The Tracks'.

If I could provide the tracklistings for the bonus discs, Jemble, would that help? 

Jemble Fred

Not really – I've just remembered I gave it to my brother one Xmas. Sorry.

Glebe

My brother had some of his albums, he has some great songs. Posted this in the YouTube music thread recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gozdCwvHK6M

Jemble Fred

BB Old timers! Heard the new Bragg song for this movie? http://myspace.com/mamasboysoundtrack? The first real old school Bragg noise for years and years! I mean, I've loved all his recent albums but 'Bed, Bath & Bullshit' could have come right off 'Life's A Riot', just Bill and his guitar.

Is it going to be on the new album?
(due in February, apparently)

Don_Preston

I assume most Bill fans are aware of his upcoming tour. I'm hopefully going to the Bristol show, whether that'll be with anyone or not, I don't know.

Jemble Fred

Yeah, I'm hoping to see him in Bristol too. Blimey, it must be nearly 5 years since I last saw him.

I'd recommend signing up for his newsletter if you haven't already – they just sent one out including a complete 15-track live show, free to download. They miss out all Bill's chatter, which is half the point of a Bragg concert, but still well worth a listen.