Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:26:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Billy Bragg

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, July 24, 2005, 01:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I wasn't subscribed, but now I am.  Thanks for the tip, Jemble.
Since that newletter's already gone out, I might be too late for the free gig download, though, sadly.

Jemble Fred

Nah, I thought that but they should send out the latest newsletter along with the first acknowledgement of signing up.

One thing that does bother me a bit about the live tracks is, I think, on the Greetings To The New Brunette rendition, where Bill seriously lays in to some drunken guy singing along. It makes BB sound like an absolute cunt of a prima donna... I'm betting that he continued the heckle/comeback thing more humorously in between songs, but as you don't get the in-between track chat, it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Don_Preston

Thanks for that.

"Picked up" 'Brewing Up With...' and 'Taxman' for £6 each in Virgin/Zavvi today, which surprised me as I used to hate that shop so much

Got my free download. Am looking forward to hearing that in a spare moment later.
I'm still trying to fill the holes in my collection (ie: find all studio tracks and other oddities not included on either of the box sets).  Hopefully, I'll have 'Reaching To The Converted' soon, so that'll help.
Still trying to track down the official bootlegs and that Mothercare version of 'A New England'...

Darrell

Either of these any use?

Billy Bragg & Wilco - My Flying Saucer (from 'For The Kids')

Billy Bragg & Cara Tivey - She's Leaving Home (from 'Sgt Pepper Knew My Father')

Paaaaul

Quote from: Darrell on January 07, 2008, 10:39:32 PM
Billy Bragg & Cara Tivey - She's Leaving Home (from 'Sgt Pepper Knew My Father')

One of the few #1's that nobody * seems to have ever heard.

*when i say "nobody", i mean "very few people"

Darrell

Was it really a double A-side though? 99.9% of the sales would have been for that Wet Wet Wet dirge, surely?

Jemble Fred

Oh yeah, the Wets got all the coverage because they were massive and their side was pure pop – but I have the single and it's definitely a 50/50 release.

I would say I was embarrassed to admit that I thought 'With A Little Help From My Friends' was a WWW song at the time, but then I was about 8 at the time, and didn't really know who The Beatles were. Let alone Billy Bragg.

I'm not sure which bits I'm short of, to be honest, but thanks for those Jemble - that's great!

Quote from: Paaaaul on January 07, 2008, 11:04:30 PM
One of the few #1's that nobody * seems to have ever heard.

Precisely.  Ms Trotsky still refuses to believe that Billy Bragg had a number one single.

Jemble Fred

Wow, that 'Bed, Bath & Bullshit' isn't even on the new album! Thought I'd post up the whole tracklisting, not least because it's especially entertaining in the light of the 'Create random album art' thread.

QuoteBilly's new album, Mr Love & Justice, is released in the UK by Cooking
Vinyl on 3 March 2008. Full track listing is:

1. I Keep Faith
2. I Almost Killed You
3. M For Me
4. The Beach is Free
5. Sing Their Souls Back Home
6. You Make Me Brave
7. Something Happened
8. Mr. Love & Justice
9. If You Ever Leave
10. O Freedom
11. The Johnny Carcinogenic Show
12. Farm Boy

EXTRACT OF UK PRESS RELEASE FOR ALBUM
Billy Bragg, the great English performer and songwriter, plays at
London's legendary Roundhouse on Tuesday 4 March 2008 – a show that
celebrates the release of his new album, 'Mr. Love & Justice', on Monday 3
March. The concert comes as the prelude to an eight-date UK tour starting
in April.

The 12-track album has been produced by Grant Showbiz and features The
Blokes, comprising the celebrated Ian McLagan - of Small Faces, Bob
Dylan, The Faces and Rolling Stones fame - on Hammond organ and piano,
together with Ben Mandelson (lap steel guitar and bouzouki); Lu Edmonds
(electric guitar and vocals); Martyn Barker (drums) and Simon Edwards
(bass).

They are joined by the legendary Robert Wyatt, the guest vocalist on a
track called 'I Keep Faith' recorded in South Thoresby, Lincolnshire.
The collaboration came about when Bragg, in search of fresh rhubarb for
a crumble, was in nearby Louth where he met Wyatt who lives in the
town.

"I hadn't seen him since Red Wedge (the 1986 Labour Party youth vote
initiative)," says Bragg. "He found me some rhubarb and then came along
to the recording session and sang beautiful vocals to the chorus of 'I
Keep Faith' – it was like angels singing!"

Which reminds me, I'd better buy my ticket for Bristol today...

Just got around to finally watching the BB 'Live In Barking' segment of the bonus DVD with the second box set.  That's a really nice half-hour with Ian MacLagen.  I'd like to see the rest of the gig sometime, but since it wasn't released in it's entirety there, chances are probably slim.

Apparently, the new album initially comes as a 2 disc edition.  The second disc features the entire album performed by Billy solo.  I was going to hold off until the album gets a bit cheaper, but I don't want to miss that.

Marty McFly

just read on Teletext this morning, Billy and the lovely KT Tunstall are performing together at HMV in London on the 18th Feb..

Quote from: Q4music
Billy Bragg and KT Tunstall will play a special Best Of British show at HMV's flagship store on London's Oxford Circus on 18 February to mark Q's 50 Years Of Great British Music month.

The pair will join forces to play songs from across six decades of British music, as well as performing some of their own best-loved songs. The show will coincide with the announcement of the results of the Best Ever British Album online poll Q and HMV are currently running together at Q4music.com and hmv.com

The show also, of course, comes during the month Q celebrates 50 Years Of Great British Music in the current issue of the magazine, and across Q Radio, Q TV and Q4music.com.

Billy Bragg and KT Tunstall will be onstage on 18 February from 1pm and admission will be strictly on a first come, first served basis. We'll see you there!

Don_Preston

Pre-ordered the limited edition double album tonight, and got a free download for my troubles.

What's the free download, Don?

EDIT:  S'okay, I found it.  It's just a track from the album...  I also noticed the pre-order version from Cooking Vinyl is the standard 1CD version.  I'll be buying the double one myself.

That quote above says that BB and KT are on stage at HMV at 1PM.  BB's official site says it's 6PM.  Has this been changed?!  What time will it be?

Don_Preston

I assume the download will be available when the album's released? Got a bit worried and confused for a minute there.

I've just pre-ordered my 2CD version from play.com for a decent £8.95.

levitica

Do you like KT Tunstall?  I strongly dislike KT Tunstall.  Not least of all because she's called "KT" Tunstall.
I've got my tickets for the gatehead show though.  Weehey.

I don't mind KT as it goes.  However, if I get to HMV on the day, it'll be because I want to see Billy Bragg mainly.

Jemble Fred

I'm trying very hard to think of a better solo artist of the last, what? 15, 20 years, than Tunstall? Admittedly I've not heard her latest album. Drawing a blank on thinking of anyone as good as she is, though. And Bragg's seal of approval is just the cherry on top.

The last time I saw Bragg was in that HMV for England Half English, but I'll be missing this one. Still not booked my Bristol ticket either. Argh! Money!

The second KT Tunstall album is pretty good, Jemble.  The good bits mightn't be as good as the best bits of 'Eye To The Telescope', but overall it feels more consistant.

Don_Preston

Well I got given the free track from Cooking Vinyl today.

A very nice listen I must say

Anybody else go to the Bragg/Tunstall in-store performance today?

Setlist:

Move It (BB & KT)
Waterloo Sunset (BB & KT)
Ziggy Stardust (KT solo)
Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldnt've?) (Billy solo)
Everyday Is Like Sunday (KT solo)
The Drugs Don't Work (BB & KT)
I Predict A Riot (BB & KT)
Don't You Want Me? (BB & KT)

I think that was all.

For those interested and those who can be bothered to dig it out, there's a reasonable audience recording floating about on KT's official board of the Bragg/Tunstall performance (mentioned above).

Even though I pre-ordered 'Mr Love & Justice' I've still not heard it.  It failed to turn up yesterday (I thought that was one of the benefits of pre-ordering?) or today.  Maybe tomorrow.  Maybe.

Paaaaul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjncuXr4h04

This is the moment I lost any interest in Mr Bragg.
Not only does he choose to sing with someone who writes nursery rhymes for mentally deficient homesick girls, he chooses to sing with someone who can't even sing in any kind of harmony with him.
Shame

To be fair, to sing in harmony with Bragg, you'd have to be a non-singer.  I like Billy, but he's never going to win any awards for best vocalist, is he?

Morrissey Gran

Quote from: Paaaaul on March 04, 2008, 08:56:21 PM
someone who writes nursery rhymes for mentally deficient homesick girls

No, you're thinking of Avril Lavigne or one of them. This is KT Tunstall, the folk singer who writes catchy inventive songs rightly appreciated by 50-year-old legendary folk singer/songwriters.

Odd mistake to make, but there we are.

You can count me in for a 'yay' there as well.  I was unsure about KT Tunstall until seeing her live.  I'm rather keen now.