Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:59:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Last of the Summer Wine

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 22, 2021, 05:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: Andy147 on May 31, 2021, 01:40:45 PM
"Clown", I think.
That would be the only other option but I originally hail from very near to WWW's hometown and the word 'cunt' is used to just describe a member of the public in this area more than in other places I have lived. So much so that it's not really seen as a swearword. His pronunciation (I have several family members with very similar accents) makes me think it's 'cunt' too. I could be wrong here but I think it slipped by because Aled and the production staff thought he said 'clown' when he didn't.

New page cunt going downhill in a bath.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 31, 2021, 01:07:33 AM
count me in for someone who would greatly enjoy every time an old person went down a slope in a metal object, enamelled or not

Could be a little shirt film project, if someone can find all the bathtub eps, I'm happy to do the edit

Working title: They Went Downhill Quickly After That

Leej88

The show was on for 37 years just like Heartbeat and The Bill it had its day

JCR

I enjoy it; well the episodes up till Bill Owen died anyway.

Crazy thing about it was they had the perfect final episode, Last Post and Pigeon, and then ran for another ten years.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Programme idea Lynn: First of the Summer Wine. The classic trio are back together, but they're 15 years old in an origin story set in the delightful Yorkshire countryside.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 22, 2021, 08:28:03 PM
Had a look on Britbox but there are only three Christmas specials, I watched the one "Getting Sam Home" based on the Roy Clarke novel. That was good. The one where Nora Batty becomes a waitress wasnt very good, the third one where Barry and Glenda get married was ok.

I'm surprised how hard Last of the Summer Wine is to find on streaming services, given how popular it was and how it ended relatively recently.

I watched a few of the Christmas specials last Christmas and enjoyed "Crums" the most, although I prefer Foggy to Seymour who is in that one. It has Auntie Wainwright's first appearance before she was a regular and Compo doing a version of "Last Night on the Back Porch" as "Last Night in the Cowshed" on the banjo. Save that for next Christmas if you've not seen it yet. Not sure if Jean Alexander remains so good for the 168 episodes she was apparently in, probably not, but I don't think I'm going too far in saying that she brings a sort of Ealing Comedy quality to that episode. I love how proud she looks when she points out the sprig of holly and tinsel decorations. My partner who is a bigger fan of the show (she wants us to go on holiday to Holmfirth) had to stop watching it when Smiler's presence started ruining it for her so he might becloud Auntie Wainwright's shop later on.

I also watched "Getting Sam Home", which had a bit that made me laugh ten minutes in. Don't know if you remember the scene at Lilly Bless'er's when Lilly reads out the letter from Sam and then says 'It's been three weeks now and that's the only word I've had'. There's a shot of Clegg looking moved and compassionate while she's reading the letter but then he harshly says: 'Give over, love, we've been keeping you posted.'

the science eel

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 31, 2021, 07:46:05 PM
Programme idea Lynn: First of the Summer Wine. The classic trio are back together, but they're 15 years old in an origin story set in the delightful Yorkshire countryside.

Too late

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_of_the_Summer_Wine

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

An tSaoi

What did Compo have in his matchbox?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Fambo Number Mive

I don't know if we ever find out, but I imagine some kind of weird insect. Although his foreskin would be likely as well.

jobotic

A human eye, that still blinks and looks around.

vainsharpdad

They had to axe the show in the end.

It just kept on going downhill.

Glebe

Quote from: Ignatius_S on May 30, 2021, 11:04:08 PMAs Mambo says, they have a lot of put up with - e.g. Sid doesn't seem to be particularly industrious when it comes to running cafe - and there is an element of writing what you know. Clarke was a copper for a short while and in the community he worked, it was the women who created some sort of order in their households.

Interesting point. Poor old Nora, having to shoo Compo away with her broom every week with a cry of "Oh, give over!"

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: An tSaoi on June 01, 2021, 01:10:30 PM

I think insect is right. It's one of those antiqueated things that schoolboys would do, or were depicted as doing. The olden days equivalent of showing a girl some nasty Internet video/pic on your phone then running away. (I don't know if modern kids do this but probably)

Inspector Norse

Video Game Fan 2000

A tiny vision of himself that is perpetually wanking and going "A-hee hee hee"

frajer

The Tissue Compressed corpse of the Master.

"Looks like Compo's the Master now."

"What's that Compo?"

"I said let's go see if Nora's popped her washing out to dry."

JCR

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 31, 2021, 09:48:47 PM
Too late

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_of_the_Summer_Wine

I saw the first episode of that , it made it really clear it was set in 1939, and there was a member of the gang who was never in Last of.

Subtlety in the foreshadowing wasn't the strong suit of Clarke's writing.

Fambo Number Mive

Started on Series 11. So far in episode 1 the three men get thrown out a pub because the landlord thinks they are gay and Clegg makes a quip about Channel 4.

Fambo Number Mive

On Series 17 now. One of the Series 16 episodes is called "The Glory Hole" but it's not a refence to blow jobs in public lavatories.

Glebe

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 06, 2021, 11:47:26 AMOn Series 17 now. One of the Series 16 episodes is called "The Glory Hole" but it's not a refence to blow jobs in public lavatories.

Or is it?! YOU decide!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

You've watched *counts on fingers* six series in five days?

Fambo Number Mive

I did skip a few episodes, including most of Series 11 after getting a bit bored of Seymour. Didn't watch the Christmas episodes either. They are only 29 minutes per episode, you can get through the pretty quickly. I've watched six so far today.

imitationleather

And you're not being held in Guantanamo Bay or anything like that?

Video Game Fan 2000

I thought the UN had banned Roy Clarke sitcoms from Guantanamo Bay after all those inmates incinerated themselves.

Fambo Number Mive

No, I enjoy Last of the Summer Wine. Although we are in the second Foggy period, not sure how much I'll enjoy it when he is replaced with Truly. I imagine once Compo and Clegg are gone it'll jump the shark in a tim bath. We'll see.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I bet you're getting quite sick of the theme tune. On any rewatch of The Sopranos I skip the first few minutes just to avoid listening to that song dozens of times.

Fambo Number Mive

I find it quite hypnotic. I don't watch the end credits though, maybe it would annoy me if I heard it two times per episode.